Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Added to benito's collection TRAJAN sestertius.  (Read 1790 times)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Added to benito's collection TRAJAN sestertius.
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:33:36 am »
AE sestertius. 103-111 AD. 28,18 grs. Laureate bust right, slight drapery on far shoulder. IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P / Salus seated left on ornate throne, feeding from patera a serpent coiled around an altar. p q r optimo principi' target='_blank'>S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI.
S C in exergue.
RIC II 515. BMCRE 807. Cohen 485.

The pic is not the best, but one of my better results for the moment.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: Added to benito's collection TRAJAN sestertius.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:54:25 am »
benito,

That is a beautiful coin.

Regards,
mz

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 09:17:58 am »
If I had not decided to collect the Flavians, probably my choice would be Trajan.

Beautiful coin.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Added to benito's III Julio-Claudian
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:23:12 pm »
Caligula sestertius, with a very nice portrait. Could do with some cleaning. Any ideas ?
AE sestertius. 40-41 AD. 28,07 grs. 6h. Laureate head left. C CAESAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG P M TR P IIII P P   //    S P Q R / P P / OB CIVES / SERVATOS in four lines within oak wreath.
RIC I 53.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Added to benito's imperatorial.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 03:26:21 pm »
Octavian denarius.  Easier to photograph than bronze.
Also needs some cleaning . Ideas ?
AR denarius. 32-31 BC. 3,89 grs. Diademed head of Pax right. Olive branch at right, cornucopiae behind / Octavian walking right, raising right hand and holding spear over shoulder. CAESAR DIVI F across fields.
RIC 253. RSC 72.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Added to benito's collection . RR galley.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 05:03:43 pm »
A beauty
AR denarius. 109-108 BC. 4,01 grs. Helmeted head of Roma right. ROMA above, CERCO under chin  /  Galley right with head of Roma on prow, gubernator at stern; all within oak wreath. Q LVTATI over Q in field.
Crawford 305/1. RSC Lutatia 2. 
Enjoy.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:44:38 pm »
Caligula sestertius, with a very nice portrait. Could do with some cleaning. Any ideas ?
AE sestertius. 40-41 AD. 28,07 grs. 6h. Laureate head left. C CAESAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG P M TR P IIII P P   //    S P Q R / P P / OB CIVES / SERVATOS in four lines within oak wreath.
RIC I 53.

benito,

I have a GREAT idea for this coin:

Send it to me! It's a bit worn and dirty anyway, right?

Besides, it's almost Christmas and you know how you love me like a little brother, right?

Regards,
mz

p.s. I wouldn't do anything to it except enjoy it.

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:55:39 pm »
the caligula is great! good purchase!

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 04:20:57 am »
  gosh benito that is a truelly majestic example and one that would grace anyones collection i have never really looked at caligula coins as out of my price range but it is just amazing you must be very proud  +++

Offline Roma_Orbis

• Consul
  • ad avgvsta per angvsta
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 06:04:59 am »

Nice coin, with a brown tone; it has been once cleaned (it doesn't look like a Tiber patina). Why the hell would you want to clean it, except to make the orichalcum shine?

Jérôme

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 06:50:12 am »

Ah, just when I thought benito was turning Greek, he stuns us with 3 great quality Romans. probably lucky for me and the rest of the Greek collecting world.

Cic
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 08:27:48 am »

Ah, just when I thought benito was turning Greek, he stuns us with 3 great quality Romans. probably lucky for me and the rest of the Greek collecting world.

Cic

Do not worry you degenerate greeks. I'm getting the feeling for photography ,so for the moment no buying and lots of pics into collection.
Starting with the following as soon as I can manage the right size. RR,Imperatorial,Augustus and Flavians (gents and ladies).
This sestertius is also nice   https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-90270

All coins are guaranteed for eternity