Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: INteresting book on RPCs to be published  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
INteresting book on RPCs to be published
« on: February 17, 2004, 03:08:29 am »
Hi All,

This http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-926526-7 looks like it might be a VERY interesting book on RPC's. Just look at the list of contributors! Alas, it will not be published until October. Can hardly wait!

Auto

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Re:INteresting book on RPCs to be published
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 09:44:08 pm »
The list of contributers seems to be lacking one of the formost experts Henrik Agndal.  :(  ;D

Jericho

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 09:47:41 pm »
If it was cheaper, I might be more interested  :-\.

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 02:23:50 am »
The list of contributers seems to be lacking one of the formost experts Henrik Agndal.

Alas! Still, might contain something of value anyway.

Actually, I'm reviewing a chapter of a forthcoming textbook for OUP, and for payment one can choose cash or books. If one chooses the latter obviously one gets a lot "more". So, I'll pick this one up for "free".

Auto

bruce61813

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 05:52:27 pm »
After reading the overview of the book it still sounds very general. What is needed is a better or more complete Sear. His book on the Prvincials is still the best I have found, but it misses a lot also. There needs to be a PRIC [Provincial Roman Imperial Coins].  I don't think I am read to shell out almost $160 plus shipping without seeing the book. :-\

Bruce

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 06:48:15 pm »
    As you know, the complete "Sear" for provincials has already been undertaken, RPC of which the first two volumes covering 44 BC-AD 96 have appeared so far.
   Provincial coinage of the second and third certuries AD is so much more voluminous than that of the first century and shows such an endless variety of types and legends that I am afraid RPC will inevitably fall short of covering it anything like completely.  However several of the volumes in question are well underway and there is no doubt that they will be an immense improvement over the catalogues that have existed so far.
     I only regret that RPC has missed the only natural and logical way to study provincial coins, namely region by region and within each region mint by mint, each mint's coinage being catalogued chronologically from beginning to end in one and the same listing, more or less as in Eckhel, Mionnet, BMC, AMNG, RG and so on.  You cannot understand the provincial coinage of a particular reign at a particular mint without studying the coinage of the same mint during the preceding and following reigns.  To do so, you will continuously have to be pulling down volume after volume of RPC, because of its unfortunate reign by reign or era by era arrangement.  
       One added and relatively minor inconvenience:  I can foresee that it is going to be maddening to try to locate the "semi-autonomous" provincials in the completed RPC, because their chronology is not immediately obvious and you won't know what volume to look in!
Curtis Clay

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 03:20:18 am »
After reading the overview of the book it still sounds very general. What is needed is a better or more complete Sear

It is not intended to be a catalogue-type listing of coins! To me, the interesting thing about ancient coins is placing them in their context, understanding what they meant to the people who used them and what role they played in society. That's the aim of this particular book.

I only regret that RPC has missed the only natural and logical way to study provincial coins, namely region by region and within each region mint by mint

My gripe with RPC exactly! If I were independently wealthy I would start on a "Standard catalogue of world coins"-type book (the "phone book", you know) about provincials.

Just compiling all the coins from, say, the 10-20 largest collections/catalogues would go a very long way.

Auto

All coins are guaranteed for eternity