Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan Tridrachm OTD  (Read 839 times)

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
Trajan Tridrachm OTD
« on: May 28, 2012, 06:13:38 am »
Hi all,

I don't often post any COTD's but I feel compelled to celebrate my latest acquisition - a splendid Tridrachm of Trajan. The larger scale of the denomination has given the engraver the opportunity to imbue the portrait with an extra level of realism and personality. The symbolic grain ears on the reverse are crisp and overall the coin displays good metal and subtle toning. Very proud!

Trajan Tridrachm - Grain Ears - Year 6, AR Tridrachm, Caesarea, Cappadocia or Bostra, Arabia, "Year 6" 112-117 AD, 10.76g
Obv: Laureate draped bust of Trajan (R), AYTOKP KAIC NEP TPAIANO CEB GERM DAK

Rev: Six ears of grain bound at stalk, DHMARC EX UPATO V
SNG ANS -; Metcalf, "The Tell Kalak Hoard and Trajan's Arabian Mint," ANSMN 20 (1975), 6 var.

Gallery Link: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-82061

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: Trajan Tridrachm OTD
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 08:05:04 am »
Coin of the month, IMHO. Congrats!

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
Re: Trajan Tridrachm OTD
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:32:52 pm »
A very attractive coin! I love the sensitive veristic portrait, and it is also wonderfully toned. Coingrats!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity