Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A flawed Britannia as of Severus with a disappointed owner  (Read 559 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
A flawed Britannia as of Severus with a disappointed owner
« on: February 05, 2012, 03:11:34 pm »
Hi,

I was disappointed with this coin when I finally took a better look at it. I was quickly working the room looking for coins for my collection. I saw this Septimius Severus that commemorates the British victories from late 210 (RIC 807). It is the one with the dated reverse without VICT BRIT at the start of the legend and the slightly later date (TRP XIX, RIC 812a).

SEVERVS PIVS AVG BRIT
Laureate head right
PM TRP XVIII COS III PP SC
Victory standing right holding vexillum with captive seated either side

What I had sadly failed to register was the pair of (recent?) digs on the neck of Severus.

Oh well, more care, less haste next time!

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A flawed Britannia as of Severus with a disappointed owner
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 03:46:53 pm »
Mauseus,

I think no BRIT on obv., so Cohen 545 is correct and RIC 807 wrong to add BRIT to Cohen's description.

RIC 805 has your As correctly without BRIT, citing BM. Apparently the authors felt the need to have the same type with BRIT, so manufactured RIC 806-7, for which they can only cite Cohen who inconveniently himself omits the BRIT!

Since the coin is worn anyway, I don't think the two marks on the neck detract seriously.
Curtis Clay

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: A flawed Britannia as of Severus with a disappointed owner
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:59:59 pm »
Hi,

Thanks Curtis, you see what you want to see and I, apparently, wanted to see BRIT on the obverse. Thanks for the additional info.

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity