Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alex's Gallery  (Read 22331 times)

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: Alex's Gallery - Byzantine
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2023, 10:28:23 am »
New addition to my Byzantine gallery.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=180734

Thanks for looking. (If you have looked.  ;D)

Alex

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Alex's Gallery
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2023, 12:52:21 pm »
For those interested in the Byzantine period,  this rare 120 Nummi coin is among several recent additions to my Byzantine Gallery.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=185444

Thanks for looking,

Alex

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2023, 03:01:50 pm »
Always interested in Byzantine coins and their history despite owning just one gold histamenon. Paradoxically, Byzantine silver, generally, is significantly rarer than the gold, electrum, billon or copper coins of that empire. I love your collection of British coins naturally as a Londoner. I try hard to hide that fact behind my eclectic collection of ancient and world coins. I don't know if I'm fooling anyone in that respect. However, I do have a genuine interest in Americana and world coins as well as ancient coins.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2023, 03:04:33 pm »
Amazing.  I checked the excavation reports from the JECM (Joint Expedition to Caesarea Maritima) from 1971-1987.  Of the nearly 600 early Byzantine coins recorded, not a single one was silver, and only one was gold.  Great rarities, all of yours.

Best regards, Jimi

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2023, 03:40:08 pm »
Amazing.  I checked the excavation reports from the JECM (Joint Expedition to Caesarea Maritima) from 1971-1987.  Of the nearly 600 early Byzantine coins recorded, not a single one was silver, and only one was gold.  Great rarities, all of yours.

Best regards, Jimi

Yes, indeed! There is a very interesting CoinWeek article by the inimitable Mike Markowitz that addresses the paradox of Byzantine silver. Surely, we expect silver coins to be more abundant and less valuable than gold ones because of the uneven silver/gold ratio. Paradoxically, Byzantine gold is often common and Byzantine silver coins usually scarce, sometimes almost non-existent.

https://coinweek.com/coinweek-ancient-coin-series-paradox-byzantine-silver/

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2023, 11:58:46 am »
Thanks everyone.

I have collected Roman coins for a very long time, over 60 years, and I have been interested in British coins for almost as long. However. I only started collecting Byzantine coins, specifically Justinian I, last year and reading about and finding those coins has been a welcome occupation for me.

Alex

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2023, 12:26:01 pm »
It's nice to switch it up every once in a while.  Keeps it fresh.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2024, 07:14:40 am »

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2024, 09:16:25 am »
Great reverse!  Looks like Victory is taking charge!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity