Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: R5 Constantinus II ????  (Read 2613 times)

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
  • Virtuti melius fortunae creditur - Syrus, Maxims
    • My coins in Forums Gallery
R5 Constantinus II ????
« on: January 16, 2004, 03:43:44 pm »
CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C - Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust left
CAESARVM NOSTRORVM, Outside wreath, around VOT (dot) V, TSBVI in ex.

Closest I can find is RIC VII, 116, R5. Am I correct, or suffering from RIC induced madness  :P
Facilis descensus Averno; sed ad auras evadere est labor! (The Road to hell is a easy one, it is the journey back that is diffulcult!)

Arles

Re:R5 Constantinus II ????
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 04:02:31 pm »
I don`t see a star in the wreath, so more likely to be RIC 128, a common coin. Sorry Jim.
Keith

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 04:09:18 pm »
Ric 128 is a VOT X, is it not?

PS. This is why I mentioned RIC madness  :P

PPS, there is something at the top of the wreath, I just don't want to ruin the coin by cleaning further ....
Facilis descensus Averno; sed ad auras evadere est labor! (The Road to hell is a easy one, it is the journey back that is diffulcult!)

Arles

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 04:24:09 pm »
Sorry Jim, you`re right. Perhaps it is an unlisted coin completely. The TSAVI series with Vot V seems to be scantily recorded. Since it is listed in the next series (115,116) with both B1 and B4l. busts, this could be the missing B4l. bust that should have followed RIC 108 had it been discovered at the time. I still can`t see a star in that wreath, unless you can see it more clearly in person. I guess a rarity either way. Sorry for the mistake, doing everything in a rush lately.
Keith

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 04:43:12 pm »
Keith, according to RIC, where exactly the star is expected to be? Inside wreath or on the top of the wreath?
This is listed as RIC 116.
Thanks
Luigi

I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 06:39:11 pm »
Keith,

The star might or might not be there, I will put it back in distilled water to see if any other dirt can be removed, if not, I'll just have to attribute it as possible 116 or unlisted variant of Thessalonica, possibly following 108...

I seem to be missing pg 511 of ric VII, can someone scan it and sent it to me? please.... It is so frustrating since I can't see what 103 thru 112 are.. :-[

Thanks, Jim

jbaran

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 06:48:58 pm »
The example from DOC is actually RIC 120.  According to the plates in the back of RIC VII, the * aboev the exurge line appears inside the wreath.  The * in the circle above the exurge line indicates a star as part of the wreath.  So that would make your coin RIC 120 'B' listed as C1.

Joe

PS, I'll scan the page as soon as I clean the coins off the scanner :P

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 07:48:59 pm »
all,

I think you were right when you said it should most probably follow 108... The closer I look at the top of the wreath, the more convinced I am that it is just a wreath with no star.

Offline Jeff Clark

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
  • VOTA PVBLICA
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 08:34:15 pm »
Jim,
Here is a picture of RIC 108, 116 and 120 reverses.  Your coin clearly has the star in the top knot above the wreath.  It does not have the elliptical dot pattern that would be seen on the other two coins.  As usual, the most likely answer of a Common coin, is correct and it is RIC 120.
Jeff Clark

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 09:56:24 pm »
the * above the exurge line appears inside the wreath.  The * in the circle above the exurge line indicates a star as part of the wreath.

I take it then that the quote above is the correct interpretation of the RIC notations on Exergue?

(I'm getting a headache....  ;D)

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2004, 04:35:13 am »
The example from DOC is actually RIC 120.  According to the plates in the back of RIC VII, the * aboev the exurge line appears inside the wreath.  The * in the circle above the exurge line indicates a star as part of the wreath.  So that would make your coin RIC 120 'B' listed as C1.

Thanks a lot Joe.
What a pity i don't find the page of RIC VII where these symbols are summarized.
In order to update my records, is this RIC VII pag 512, #120 too?
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

jbaran

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2004, 09:11:01 am »
Yes it is.  RIC doesn't have a page that sums these up...that would make too much sense.  I just compared the plates in the back to the discription.  I remember Curtis saying once that the plate example always takes precedence over the discription.

Joe

Offline Jeff Clark

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
  • VOTA PVBLICA
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2004, 11:18:07 am »
Well, in deference to Curtis, I can think of at least one plate coin where there are two similar coins mentioned in the text and the plate coin is referred to by the wrong one.  Again, I guess the picture tells the story though and the text is wrong. So Curtis would indeed be correct that the picture would take precedence....just precedence over which coin?
Jeff Clark

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2004, 11:55:23 am »
You know... using and interpreting RIC would probably make a great thread for classical numismatics. I know that I get more than slightly confused sometimes  ;).

Maybe Joe or Alex could start a thread, and we could continue in that. I know I could sure use the knowledge, and I'm sure others could also.

What do you think?

Jim

jbaran

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2004, 12:03:08 pm »
Sounds like a good idea to me.  I've played with Volumes 4 through 10 and I think I know what I'm doing...most of the time  ::).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity