Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thin coin with what looks like someone in head armor??  (Read 543 times)

kforbes862

Thin coin with what looks like someone in head armor??
« on: January 01, 2011, 10:37:29 pm »
This is my first batch of ancient coins i have cleaned, so if anyone has any pointers on how to clean them better or do the scans of then better please let me know. this coin is very thin, and a little less than the size of a dime. on the front i can see a face in what looks like possibly some kind of armor. the back i cant make very much out of what it could be, and i can see no inscription, unless i am missing it. not sure since i am a very new beginner at this.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Thin coin with what looks like someone in head armor??
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:20:56 pm »
Looks to be a postumous coin of Constantine I (veiled head, not armored), but I cannot tell what the reverse is. There were several in this series.

Chris

PS for future reference, a size in millimeters and weight in grams will go far when posting coins for id. :)
C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:21:59 pm »
This is a postumous issue of Constantine I.  Veiled head of Constantine on the obverse, and a standing veiled figure of Constantine on the reverse.

similar to this
[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Kurt

kforbes862

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:23:45 pm »
wow, thanks guys. someday i will be as good as you guys at identifying these.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:04:10 am »
wow, thanks guys. someday i will be as good as you guys at identifying these.

Yes you will!  :) It just takes an obsession and hours/days of staring! lol (jooooin ussss  ;) )

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity