Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

A or Delta?

Coin 1 and 2 are A
Coin 1 and 2 are Delta
Coin 1 is A coin two is Delta
Coin 1 is Delta coin two is A

Author Topic: VRBS ROMA - A or Delta?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
VRBS ROMA - A or Delta?
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:23:49 pm »
Here are two coins, but the same question: is the first character of the mintmark in the exergue an  :Greek_Alpha: or  :Greek_Delta: ?

I'm leaning toward the  :Greek_Alpha: since it is a very common mintmark, as opposed to the  :Greek_Delta: officinae, but as you might have already guessed, I'm not sure.  :-\

From what I've seen, a lot of the  :Greek_Alpha:'s look like an :Greek_Eta:. These both kinda look like  :Greek_Alpha:'s to me, but then again.. yup, you guessed it... that's why I'm asking.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: VRBS ROMA - A or Delta?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:43:35 pm »
I believe that this is a delta. But it is often very difficult to distinguish between A and Delta: the best, when possible, is to compare the letter with the A dell'esergo of Vrbs ROME.
In this other case that post below, it seemed impossible to distinguish between the A and Delta and I came to the conclusion that the letters from the Oficina is ... the communist symbol!  ;D  ;D  ;D

(from: http://www.imperio-numismatico.com/periodo-romano-f3/conmemorativa-vrbs-roma-smka-t6168.htm )

laud

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 05:36:14 pm »
Delta

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:50:50 pm »
I added a poll to see what the general consensus is.

Offline Oak

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 04:57:16 pm »
I have the same coin with the same problem  ::)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 08:01:09 pm »
If one really can't decide - which, I think, is the case with both examples here - then it must be good methodology to assume the coin belongs to the more common variant.

Bill R

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 10:52:23 am »
This is an example of A in Siscia. The letter in exergue is identical to A in Vrbs Roma. In Siscia, A is similar to  :Greek_Lambda: .
Antvwala

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 12:55:43 pm »
Comparing the characters to the A on your coin, and looking at a few others I have from the Siscia mint, I'm going to have to say that the top coin is definitely A, the bottom might very well be a Delta. I'm going to try to clean it some more to get more detail.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 04:44:09 pm »
This is an example of  :Greek_Delta: in Siscia. The letter in exergue is different to A in Vrbs Roma. In Siscia:Greek_Delta: is similar to A .
Antvwala

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 05:10:15 pm »
Now I'm really bummed, cause I really can't see the difference in your A and your delta.

I'm gonna take these two guys out and do some cleaning right now. I've just gotta know.

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 04:05:23 am »
I agree with you that it is very difficult to distinguish between A and Delta. That's why I always appear with the letter A in exergue VrbsRoma.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 02:48:15 pm »
I brushed, I picked, I scraped with my scalpel. I even threw them in the ultrasonic tank. It has all become clear! The one option that no one chose in the poll is what I believe the coins actually are.  The first one is an :Greek_Alpha:, the second is a  :Greek_Delta:. Seen side by side, there is no mistaking the two... at least not these two. Sheer elbow grease and determination has saved the day.

"These aren't all that great," you might say. "Why do I care?", you might ask. Well since you asked, I'll tell you. For one, these two coins (and about 5 others) are the only attributable coins in the last uncleaned lot I got - of 75 coins. It was terrible. The worst junk I've ever got. And secondly (since you asked) is that the Delta officina is rather hard to come by and I didn't have one yet.

Check out this picture and see what you think. Am I correct?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity