Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: VIRTVS EXERCIT - Uncleaned, possible fake  (Read 484 times)

Offline simmurray

• Consul
VIRTVS EXERCIT - Uncleaned, possible fake
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:17:57 am »
Received this in an uncleaned lot - the detail was not apparent a first, coin was dirty and suffering bronze disease.  The coin worries me - the metal seems a bit red compare to most coins and on the reverse the SF sign, I have a backwards S compared to all other examples

Example of coin in coinarchives: [DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

My coin pics are attached - tried my best but my kodak is too sensitive for me :(

Steve

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: VIRTVS EXERCIT - Uncleaned, possible fake
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:24:37 am »
This is one of the "uncleaned fakes" that first emerged on the market in 1993-1994.

http://www.lunalucifera.com/ModernFakes/index.html

Regards,
Martin

Offline simmurray

• Consul
Re: VIRTVS EXERCIT - Uncleaned, possible fake
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:29:52 am »
This is one of the "uncleaned fakes" that first emerged on the market in 1993-1994.

http://www.lunalucifera.com/ModernFakes/index.html

Regards,
Martin

Its an awful coin - it just looks and feels completely wrong; after I got the dirt off I was simply confused by it; it abysmal

All coins are guaranteed for eternity