Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Theban Coin and Odysseus' Bow  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Rhetor

• Consul
  • Tolle! Lege!
    • Personal Homepage
Theban Coin and Odysseus' Bow
« on: October 27, 2004, 12:09:05 pm »
Hi All,

I’m currently teaching the Odyssey and ran across this illustration in Ralph Hexter’s GUIDE TO THE ODYSSEY of a Theban coin depicting the stringing of a double-torsion bow.  (The stringing of Odysseus’ bow is one of the tasks the Suitors of Penelope are required to perform, and one at which only a disguised Odysseus succeeds.)

Could somebody upload a picture or a link to this coin?  Does this coin ever come on the market?  I’d like to find out more about this coin.

Rhetor

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re:Theban Coin and Odysseus' Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 06:07:00 pm »

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 06:25:03 pm »
As answer to your second coin.  I believe this coin is fairly rare.  I did a search of Coin Archieves, CNG and Wildwinds and could not find one that was sold recently.

In Sear's book, he list the price for one in VF condition as 2,500 pounds.  It is not the most expensive coin from Thebes, but it is up there.  The price that Sear gives is a good indication that this coin is rare.

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 12:21:29 am »
I don't recall seeing one of this type recently, although I could be forgetting something. I believe there will be one for sale in Triton IX, but you'll have to wait a year for that.

Barry Murphy

Offline Rhetor

• Consul
  • Tolle! Lege!
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 12:07:54 pm »
Thanks, fellas.  At 2500 pounds (what is that, about $4000-4500 US?) I'll probably have to pass.  Oh well.  If I want an Odyssey-related coin, there's always that lovely Roman Republican serrated denarius depicting Ulysses returning to Ithaka and greeting his poor dog Argos!

Rhetor

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 09:36:32 am »
Get John Anthony's book Collecting Greek Coins.  I believe it is out-of-print, but bookfinder.com lists copies as cheaply as $8.

A chapter is devoted Odyssey-related coins, including many inexpensive pieces.

Myrmidon

Re: Theban Coin and Odysseus' Bow
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 03:44:31 pm »
Well Rhetor,
in this case I can only help with the ... author himself
Here one coin with a Homer-portraiture on the left side, from Ionia-Kolophon :

Regards
Myrmidon

All coins are guaranteed for eternity