Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unlisted COS IIII dated SOLI INVICTO of the day  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Unlisted COS IIII dated SOLI INVICTO of the day
« on: October 22, 2004, 05:51:17 pm »
I think Moneta must be smiling on me... I'd just recently been thinking I'd like a SOLI INVICTO from 314-315 to fill a date gap, then a day or so later this pops up on my screen! First the eagle-tipped sceptre caught my eye, then I saw the legend.... Yee-Haw!

Obv: CONSTANTINVS MAX COS IIII
Rev: SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI
Mintmark: PLG TF
Bust: Laureate, wearing consular robe, holding eagle-tipped sceptre, facing left
Minted in Lyons 314-315

Not only COS IIII dated, but it turns out to be an unlisted obverse legend as well!

OK, so it's not exactly EF, but this ugly duckling is quite welcome in my collection!  ;D

Ben

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Re:Unlisted COS IIII dated SOLI INVICTO of the day
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 05:54:43 pm »
Bah! I forgot about that auction and came back to it to find SOMEBODY had gotten an unbelievable deal! Seriously, great find, and if for some reason you need to part ways, you know where to find me!

Evan

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 06:24:54 pm »
     Now that is a neat find!  Just the sort of thing I'd like to come across unnoticed in a sale or dealer's stock!
     Not unpublished, because a spec. from the same rev. die, slightly variant obv. die, was in Sternberg XIII, 1983, 1001, and is now on deposit in the Paris cabinet:  Bastien, Amandry, Gautier, Monnayage de Lyon, Supplement, Wetteren 1989, pl. IX, 556a.
      The same obv. has also turned up in the succeeding issue marked TF--*, and that coin IS from the same obv. die as yours, providing a useful link between issues:  Amandry, Estiot, Gautier, Supplement II, Wetteren 2003, pl. XXXVI, 577a, p. 134 (Besancon Museum)!
      Condition of your spec. is more than acceptable, for a coin of this rarity and importance.  Any museum in the world, or any specialty collector, would be delighted to acquire it!
      Comparing again from a download of your image, the obv. die of 577a is NOT the same as yours, so there is no die link between the issues as I had thought.
Curtis Clay

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 08:05:38 am »
Thanks Curtis! I couldn't believe my luck on that one... I'll enjoy it all the more knowing that the other specimens are in such lofty collections!

Evan - I've sent you a PM.

Ben

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 10:00:37 am »

Hi Ben,

..Not exactly EF, but this ugly duckling is quite welcome in my collection!

Well, I wouldn’t have known there’s anything extraordinary about this coin had it dropped from heaven & hit me in the head
  ..But, I think it’s quite pretty!

It is a marvelous representative of precisely what I mean when I’ve tried to explain that (to me), there are some ancient coins which really show their antiquity through signs of wear & pure passage of time, which nonetheless retain quite-nearly the full-essence of their original beauty - almost unscathed.

I really think it’s lovely.

I am also quite curious, if you (or anyone) wouldn’t mind enlightening me..?
  ..What is in Sol’s right hand on this one?  It doesn’t seem to me it was a wreath (not circular enough?).

Congratulations on a great find!  :)

Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 10:05:50 am »
Soli Invicto often holds a globe representing the world, sometimes a whip.
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 12:08:29 pm »
Thanks, Tia!

Well, I guess you have to collect Constantine to bother noticing things like this - and I'm sure the same goes for rarities in other areas that I wouldn't have a clue about myself!

The big deal with the "COS IIII" (as well as being rare) is that in marking Constantine's 4th consulship it provides a direct tie to history and a known date. Normally we can only date roman coins based on mintmarks which thru other associations we believe to correspond to certain dates... this is one of those coins that establishes such relationships in the first place, and there can be no doubt about what date it was made in. :-)

You can see the reverse type much better in a more common example of the same reverse type I have in the gallery:

In Sol's left hand he holds a banded globe representing the universe, and with his right hand he's making a particular gesture who's precise significance is I believe lost... the same gesture can be seen on a rare coin of Maximinus II, where Sol, riding a quadriga, is making this gesture on the reverse, and the emperor on the obverse is making the same gesture. I have to say that to me it seems awfully similar to a gesture seen on some Byzantine coins where Christ is described as "holding his hand up in benediction".

I'm not sure the precise significance of the markings on the banded globe - it's quite a common symbol occuring on coins of this time. In a clearer example you can see two crossed bands circling the globe. with stars in each of the four quadrants formed by the bands. I think I vaguely remember some suggestion that the bands could be meant to show the milky way, which can be seen to form a band across the sky on a clear night... and probably would have been more visible in Constantine's time without all the stray light and atmospheric pollution that we have now!

Ben

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 01:35:41 pm »

Thanks Whitetd & Ben,  :)

Very, very interesting….

1st – thanks for the additional expounding on the historical & numismatic importance of the coin, Ben…  I had just read a Very short ‘blurb’ to that effect in the Sayles book I’m reading (about ‘some coins which…” etc – not this one per se).
  So doubly-nice for me to now See one, as well…

Also for the added photo for emphasis & clarity…  wow – talk about clarity!  :)

with his right hand he's making a particular gesture who's precise significance is I believe lost... the same gesture can be seen on a rare coin of Maximinus II, where Sol, riding a quadriga, is making this gesture on the reverse, and the emperor on the obverse is making the same gesture. I have to say that to me it seems awfully similar to a gesture seen on some Byzantine coins where Christ is described as "holding his hand up in benediction".

That’s fascinating.
  Rather makes one speculate about it tho’, doesn’t it?  :)
  I wonder whether the gesture was a sort of smooth sweep of arm and hand signifying / representing the Sun’s course..?
  It would seem to make perfect sense to me, particularly in the instance of the Maximinus II / Sol (in Quadriga) coin you mention, if Maximinus II associated himself with the Sun in some way.  About that I haven’t the faintest clue though, of course.

In the Byzantine coins such as you mention, perhaps it was incorporation of the earlier iconographic-device used to represent the association of the ‘Son’ with Heaven (Father)?
  Would be interesting to know & note which side of the Christological controversy the reigning Emperor(s) was/were on, when such coins were minted, wouldn’t it?  :)
  I’m sure someone here knows …

Your remarks on the banded globe are equally interesting, and another 1st for my eyes and thoughts for which you also have my thanks.  :)

..&nd what hangs from Sol’s left arm?  Maybe the whip mentioned by Whitetd?
  I assume the whip is part of the association with the Quadriga, and the Hellenic concept of Helios / Apollo, driving the Chariot of the Sun?

Many thanks for your thoughtful answers, Ben.
  Very much appreciated, indeed…

Best regards,

Tia

My Gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 01:54:43 pm »
    I take the two bands on the celestial globe to be the equatorial band and the ecliptic, shown at 90 degrees from each other rather than the correct 23 degrees for the sake of clarity.
Curtis Clay

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 06:16:23 pm »
Hi Tia,

Rather makes one speculate about it tho’, doesn’t it?  :)
It does, and I believe I was! ;-)

I wonder whether the gesture was a sort of smooth sweep of arm and hand signifying / representing the Sun’s course..?
  It would seem to make perfect sense to me, particularly in the instance of the Maximinus II / Sol (in Quadriga) coin you mention, if Maximinus II associated himself with the Sun in some way.
I don't know the origins of the gesture, but it'd certainly be interesting to try to find out more. My feeling is that it's a static gesture, with the hand position being the defining element.

I don't know that Maximinus himself had any particularly notable association with Sol, but the coin I'm talking about was actually minted by Constantine (ie. at a mint he controlled), who certainly closely associated himself with Sol at the time... The coin's interesting in that it appears to prove that this isn't just an arbitrary pose assigned to Sol, but rather that the gesture itself, being mirrored by the emperor, is itself significant.

In the Byzantine coins such as you mention, perhaps it was incorporation of the earlier iconographic-device used to represent the association of the ‘Son’ with Heaven (Father)?
Well, let's not open up too large a can of worms... I was just popping open a smaller one... that this deity-related gesture may indeed have transferred over into the new religion.

Would be interesting to know & note which side of the Christological controversy the reigning Emperor(s) was/were on, when such coins were minted, wouldn’t it?  :)
The Arian controvery, if that's what you're referring to, had been settled long before then at the council of Nicea in 325 (under Constantine). The logical decision was made that the son and father were different aspects of the same entity. I'm sure a biblical scholar like Robert could describe it much more accurately though!

..&nd what hangs from Sol’s left arm?  Maybe the whip mentioned by Whitetd?
  I assume the whip is part of the association with the Quadriga, and the Hellenic concept of Helios / Apollo, driving the Chariot of the Sun?

That's actually his "chlamys" or cape thrown over his shoulder and hanging down. But in other depictions of Sol he does carry his whip used to spur the horses of his chariot as he rode across the sky.

Ben

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 06:25:03 pm »
   I take the two bands on the celestial globe to be the equatorial band and the ecliptic, shown at 90 degrees from each other rather than the correct 23 degrees for the sake of clarity.

Would the Romans have known about such things? That would seem to imply that they knew the Earth orbited the Sun.

Incidently, on a celestial note, there's a full eclipse of the moon starting at 9:30 EST tonite!

Ben

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 07:37:22 pm »
As I understand it, the ecliptic is defined by the apparent path of the sun through the fixed stars, so it doesn't matter what's revolving around what.
Curtis Clay

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 07:53:24 pm »
As I understand it, the ecliptic is defined by the apparent path of the sun through the fixed stars, so it doesn't matter what's revolving around what.

I have to agree with Curtis on this one.  You can observe the ecliptic of the sun without having to know how things are situated in the solar system.

By the way, around 250 B.C. Aristarchus of Samos became the first known person to place the Sun at the center of the solar system.  But most of the world choose to follow Ptolemy, who was wrong.

For two good sites, on on history of knowledge about the solar system and the other on the ecliptic, see the following:

http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/information/solarsystem/history.html
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/ecliptic_030228.html

Howard

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 08:59:44 am »
Thanks Curtis & Howard!

I can see how the celestial equator, or path of the sun through the sky, would have been something of major interest to the ancients, trying to make sense of their world and understand their planetary gods.

I wonder if the two bands on the banded globe may then perhaps have been a combination of the celestial equator and the milky way, since these would perhaps have been the two most prominent features of the "heavens", other than of course the constellations which provide the fixed reference against which these could be mapped.

By coincidence I just picked up this Constantius II Fel Temp phoenix which popped up as a Forvm "recent addition" a few days ago... I bought it because of the excellently clear celestial globe the phoenix is standing on - they are rarely this clear.

I found two nice maps which show the celestial equator (suns path projected onto the night sky) and milky way both with constellations included, which would make it possible to see how these two "bands" cross each other, although I agree with Curtis that whatever the bands we can't really expect the precise angle to be accurately depicted on the coins.

http://wind.cc.whecn.edu/~marquard/astronomy/celestial_sphere.htm

http://home.arcor-online.de/axel.mellinger/mwpan45_c.html

There's also a great Virtual Reality interactive map showing the milky way and constellations here:

http://canopus.physik.uni-potsdam.de/~axm/mwpan_vr.html

Ben

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 10:50:34 am »
Bob,
     The Milky Way (1) is not really a line in the sky (2) has never once been observed by myself, who am a totally untrained observer but I do look up at the moon and stars quite often!
    Does the Milky way intersect the celestial equator, if so at what angle?
     Nice globe, nice nimbus on the phoenix too, on your new accession!
Regards,
Curtis Clay
Curtis Clay

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 10:56:18 am »

Good morning, Ben,  :)

Thanks for the further replies offered here. :)

I don't know the origins of the gesture, but it'd certainly be interesting to try to find out more.

I sure agree – that it would be interesting, I mean…  I’d love to know more about that.

My feeling is that it's a static gesture, with the hand position being the defining element.

I don’t even have anything to base an opinion on; but that is an interesting surmise.  :)

the coin I'm talking about was actually minted by Constantine (ie. at a mint he controlled), who certainly closely associated himself with Sol at the time... The coin's interesting in that it appears to prove that this isn't just an arbitrary pose assigned to Sol, but rather that the gesture itself, being mirrored by the emperor, is itself significant.

Right, I did understand the latter from your original statement.  :)
  Re: minted by Constantine is sure interesting… “..who certainly closely associated himself with Sol…”.
  My point was merely that in the same light, neither is ‘only’ the gesture-itself significant in such manner – but the duality embodied on the coin.  That it almost certainly implies some symbolic representation of the Emperor’s association with / relation to, Sol.

Here’s a question that show’s my ignorance again, but – why would Constantine have minted a coin depicting Maximinus II?

Well, let's not open up too large a can of worms... I was just popping open a smaller one... that this deity-related gesture may indeed have transferred over into the new religion.

Sure. :)  That was pretty much the gist of my point as well, & apologize if I merely echoed your point which you made well-enough.
  The only addition within my intended ‘point’ was that the ‘associative’ significance of the ‘type-gesture,’ may offer insight to its meaning (interpretability) in either direction.
  You’re right tho’, of course – that is a can of worms – and rather futile ones at that, since I’ve not even seen the image discussed.  :)
  (But it is fun to speculate sometimes, right?) :)

The Arian controvery, if that's what you're referring to, had been settled long before then at the council of Nicea in 325 (under Constantine). The logical decision was made that the son and father were different aspects of the same entity.

With all due respect, I think the subsequent 700, 800 years or so of the Empire show how untrue that is.  That Constantine (despite his rather heavy-handed efforts) settled little if-anything about that controversy, other than the State’s official position with regard to the adherents of the various ‘doctrines.’  In large part because Constantine’s solution wasn’t logical, but merely & unsuccessfully diplomatic.
  If true, that the Xristos depicted on the coin in question is shown making the same gesture (for same reason) - & if my suspicion has any merit, it would seem a rather visible sign of a prevailing Monophysite doctrine reflected on the coin.  Assuming, as well, that the ‘Xristos’ as depicted would be understood as more kin to the (earlier) ‘Emperor’ type than to the ‘Sol’ – a literal godhead.
  It’s been quite a long while since I’ve looked at anything Byzantine tho’, so - of course, I’m just musing out loud here…  :)

That's actually his "chlamys" or cape thrown over his shoulder and hanging down.

..Ahhhh..!  Ok – thank you.  Yes, I see it now that you point it out.

Rather than add yet another post to this thread following, I’ll say here too, that I’ve also enjoyed and profited from Curtis’s and Howard’s comments.
  Good stuff!  :)

Very best regards,

Tia

PS.  Really like your newly acquired Constantius II / Phoenix, too!  Very neat!  :)

My Gallery

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 11:30:25 am »
Bob,
     The Milky Way (1) is not really a line in the sky (2) has never once been observed by myself, who am a totally untrained observer but I do look up at the moon and stars quite often!
    Does the Milky way intersect the celestial equator, if so at what angle?
     Nice globe, nice nimbus on the phoenix too, on your new accession!
Regards,
Curtis Clay

Curtis,

The Milky Way can actually be seen as a line in the sky, but you do need a very clear sky, and one unpolluted by our pesky modern street lighting etc to be able to see it. Apparently it's quite clear in places such as out in the deserts of New Mexico where they situate the big observatories for the same reason.  The Milky Way (the galaxy that we are part of) is a flat spiral galaxy much like a pancake... if you look out perpendicular to the "pancake" then there's not much thickness, but if you look along the plane of  the "pancake" then the stars of our glaxy dominate those in the background and you see this milky (milky because of the millions of faint stars)  plane/line of our galaxy across the sky.

We know that the ancients saw and noticed the milky way, beacuse it was the Greeks who named it as the "Via Galactica", and actually it's from there that we also get the word "galaxy", and the odd fact that the words "galaxy" and "lactate" have a common root!

Ben

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2004, 11:37:45 am »
Thanks.  What about the question I asked?
Curtis Clay

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2004, 12:07:54 pm »
Oops, sorry - I only responded to the first part!

As far as I can tell from those two constellation maps I linked to - one with the celestial equator, and one with the milky way, the two do indeed intersect at a fairly sharp angle, but I only found those this morning and havn't had a chance to match up all the constellations and see the precise relationship.

I guess though that they're almost bound to intersect, since the variables that define the path of the celestial equator (the plane of the earth's orbit around the sun and the axis of the earth's rotation) are independent of the plane of the galaxy, and it'd therefore be only by huge coincidence if these lines were parallel and thus non-intersecting.

Ben

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2004, 12:04:42 pm »
OK ... I've combined the ecliptic and milky way maps into a single one showing how the two cross.

The sources are here:

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

http://home.arcor-online.de/axel.mellinger/mwpan45_c.html

And the abbreviated constellation names from above can be expanded via this reference:

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

I've highlighted the ecliptic in yellow, then highlighted the constellations on or near where the milky way passes thru from the above map, in green, then drawn the milky way itself in grey.

I think it's quite lilkely that the bands on the celestial "globe" that appears on coins such as that above are indeed these two "paths". It's interesting to note that the "globe" doesn't imply that the Romans knew the Earth to be a sphere, since it may simply have been a representation of  the heavenly hemisphere that they saw above their heads!

It's also interesting to note that while they may have plotted the ecliptic (which would be Sol's path through the sky in his quadriga!) by observing the sun's position in the sky relative to the constellations at day break and night fall, they could also have plotted the same thing just by observing the positions of the planets as they move through the sky, since (due to the orbits of all the planets being in approximately the same plane) the planets are always to be seen in the zodiacal band that straddles the ecliptic... In fact, since the Romans didn't likely understand the relationship between the planets and the sun, it's likely the path of all the "gods" (sun and planets) that is being shown!

[BROKEN IMAGE LINK REMOVED BY ADIMIN]

Finally it's intesting to note that on coins such as those of Probus or Maximinus II where Sol is shown in a non-facing quadriga, that the direction he is seen travelling in is from east to west (right to left), which is both the direction he would have travelled during the day as well as the direction along the ecliptic / path-of-the-gods during the year!

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity