Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alex G. Malloy "Austrian Scale Hoard of Late Trebizond Aspers"  (Read 256 times)

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
I'm looking for Alex G. Malloy article "Austrian Scale Hoard of Late Trebizond Aspers. " , Medieval coins XVII 1980. It's used in many attributions , lots of people heard about it, but no one has read it . Google is not giving any results.
Thanks in advance for any help .
Best Regards,
Vlad .

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Re: Alex G. Malloy "Austrian Scale Hoard of Late Trebizond Aspers"
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 04:22:41 pm »
I'm on unfamiliar territory here, but there was once a coin for sale here in FAC that came with a copy... 

In 1979 an American coin dealer bought a coin scale from a California collector who has acquired it from a dealer in Austria. In the scale the dealer found a secret drawer which contained 167 coins, of which 164 were aspers of Trebizond. The hoard was purchased, analyzed and offered for sale by Alex Malloy in 1980.
The coin comes with a copy of Alex Malloy's catalog, Medieval Coins XVII, 1980, which includes Malloy's analysis of the Austrian Scale Hoard of Late Trebizond Aspers.

There's the Malloy catalog XVII, Dec. 1980, published online by archive.org, but I'm not seeing an academic study therein, or any example from the Trebizond hoard.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 04:11:59 am »
... There's the Malloy catalog XVII, Dec. 1980, published online by archive.org, but I'm not seeing an academic study therein, or any example from the Trebizond hoard. ...
The refererence is probably not a sales catalog, but a separate coin catalog, see here under "MEDIEVAL COIN CATALOGUES":
https://web.archive.org/web/20021023184401/http://members.aol.com/AlexMalloy/catslist.htm

But I have no idea how to get this  :(.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 06:02:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply Altamura , Anaximander .
Joe uploaded  article to NumisWiki

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=austrian%20scale%20hoard

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 08:21:19 am »
Thanks for sharing that new post by Joe.  It's great material!

I look forward to your posting more coins to your mighty gallery of crusader states. 

Have a look at the coins of Trebizond at Quant.Geek. Impressive specimens!  His references are Sear, Bendall, and Retowski, none of which I own, and only Sear is one I know of. SBCV is one of the few Sear works I don't have in my library.

Update: Retowski is cited in the Malloy article of c. 1980.  Retowski, Otto. "Die Munzen der Komnenen von Trapezunt." in Numizmaticheskii Sbornik, 1 (1911), pp. 113 - 302; (reprint Braunschweig, 1974).  1911? Not as old as the coins themselves, obviously, but, still, wow.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity