Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Forked lagobolon?  (Read 387 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Forked lagobolon?
« on: April 01, 2023, 08:56:08 am »
Dear friends of ancient mythology!

Recently I was lucky enough to be able to add this coin to my collection (pic 1). It is Nikopolis ad Istrum, Commodus, AMNG I/1, 1242. I have discovered 7 other copies, but this is the best preserved. It shows Pan, naked, n. r. walking, holding the lagobolon over his left shoulder and a But on my coin you can see that the lagobolon is forked at the back end(pic 2). Here there seems to be an angular part attached to the end of the pole. As if it could be used to spear an animal while hunting. Another coin from the coll. C. Rhodes (Gordian_Guy) also shows this feature (pic 3).

Has anyone ever seen such a tool in agriculture, fishing or hunting?wine vessel in front of his belly?

Thanks in advance
Jochen

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Forked lagobolon?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 03:03:56 am »
In a North American native people's context, such tools, usually cut branches, were used as hoes for cultivation. Most agricultural tools used by native Americans that I am aware of were made from various small tree trunks and branches with various shapes. As for Europe, given that metal was available much earlier, I have no idea, although the right shaped branch would still have made a useful tool for cultivated ground and it would have been free if harvested and shaped by the farmer.

This opens up an interesting thought. How many farmers actually bought metal tools versus tools they could make themselves? In North America, we know of such tools because they were still using them at the time of first European contacts that occurred much later in history whereas in Europe many natural tools like this have probably rotted away or possibly been ignored as remnants. I am commenting on what you describe as a lagobolon, not the wine vessel.

Virgil

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Forked lagobolon?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 03:58:43 am »
Dear Virgil!

Thank you so much for your contributiom. I think a  tool for cultivated ground would be a good explanation for this object. It could, for example, be a tool for making a furrow in the field. The different lengths of the two ends also contribute to this. The shorter one would be used to rest on the ground, the longer one would penetrate the earth.

In the small picture, it looks like it is not a naturally grown staff, but that someone has added an L-shaped part at the back end. What do you mean?

Best regards
Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity