Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Calpurnius Piso?  (Read 244 times)

Offline Elliott D

• Praetorian
Calpurnius Piso?
« on: November 30, 2022, 07:41:56 pm »
Hello everyone! Attached are pictures of a recent purchase. The only hints I have come from the faded slip that came with it - I can make out "Caplurnius" on the slip, but that's it. I believe that the reverse says "Piso" on it, but I would be thrilled to see if anyone can give identify the specific issue. Thank you in advance!

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Calpurnius Piso?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 09:00:58 pm »
Hi ED,

Your coin appears to be similar to this coin:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1295224

Your example is the variety without the "LF" in the reverse legend.

The reverse legend on your example is "...PISO FRVG...".

Your coin is so worn that I can't make out any symbols. Perhaps some other Forum members can narrow it down further.

Meepzorp

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: Calpurnius Piso?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 06:51:17 pm »
Two members of the Calpurnii Pisones Frugi family, father and son, produced almost identical coins. The father, Lucius Calpurnius Piso Frugi, struck his around 90 BCE. The son, Gaius Calpurnius Piso Frugi, repeated the same design in 59 BCE (according to Michael Harlan) or perhaps in 67 BCE (according to Crawford), using a slightly different reverse inscription - C PISO L F FRVG - the 'LF variety' Meepzorp mentioned. There is enough detail remaining to attribute your coin to the father. The design (head of Apollo / racing horseman) celebrates some games honouring Apollo which date back to the late 3rd century BCE. An earlier member of the gens Calpurnia had promoted the bill which made these games an annual fixture in the Roman calendar.

Bill R.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity