Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: claudius 2 consectratio mule or not  (Read 358 times)

Offline snorkelpaleis

• Caesar
claudius 2 consectratio mule or not
« on: November 30, 2022, 10:07:07 am »
I purchased this coin, because the obverse of the coin didn't have the divo claudio text on it. Most of the consecratio coins have the divo legend.

I checked the normaby hoard and came across the numbers 1866-1869 for consecratio altar type with imp claudius avg. 12 specimens over 4 types.

Is this considered a mule as the normal obverse type should be divo claudio?

Are there any other references in other hoards for this type?

Carpe narem

Online AMICTUS

• Consul
Re: claudius 2 consectratio mule or not
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 12:01:07 pm »
Allmost all important hoards of that period include such coins (Beau street Bath hoard, Saint-Germain-lès-Arpajon etc.). Similar coins (Divus and life-time reverse and life-time obverse legend and CONSECRATIO reverse) also exist for Victorinus. A large sample of these Claudius coins can be found in R. Göbl volume on ‘Die Münzprägung des Kaisers Aurelian’ covering all cases (CONSECRATIO Eagle or Altar with IMP (C) CLAVDIVS AVG and DIVO CLAVDIO with various life-time reverses).

These Claudius coins could fall into three categories : hybrids from the official mint (Rome) as a result of neglect or urgency (a matter of limited quantity and logic), ‘fraudulent’ coinage (mainly a matter of weight)  from the Rome mint and imitative coinage (a matter of style and weight).

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 03:43:33 pm »
Isn’t a RIC V-1 259 Rome rated Common ?
DT

Online AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 07:06:51 am »
Recent publications of large hoards may be more accurate about this question as it is not a matter of absolute quantity as such  but rather that of the number of hybrids in comparison with the number of regular coins. For the first category a ratio of about 10 per cent could fit well with a hasty starting period of a new issue.

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 10:27:14 am »
Correct me if my memory is playing tricks on me, but didn't Aurelian solve the problem of the Rome mint in a quite decisive way. ie he used a legion to stomp it into the ground ?

Clueless

All coins are guaranteed for eternity