Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: IDying the emperor  (Read 414 times)

Offline palves

• Consul
IDying the emperor
« on: July 03, 2022, 06:15:28 am »
Hi,
I think this is a Victory with captive, trophy on the shoulder, chi-rho on the left field and mintmark AQ(...), but I am at loss with the ruler... any help?
Diam. 12mm
Weight: 1.10g

Thanks

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Re: IDying the emperor
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 02:37:20 pm »

It does appear to be a SALVS REIPVBLICAE reverse.  Given the Chi Rho in the left field and assuming Aquileia is the mint, I think we can narrow it down to Theodosius I, Honorius, or Arcadius. I first identified all possible candidates as discussed in Caza LRBT pp. 316-317, and then refined from there using ERIC II to find those who minted in Aquileia with the Chi Rho in the left field

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 04:02:35 pm »
that's a tau-rho in the left field
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 10:48:23 pm »

Thanks Victor. Obviously I didn’t notice that. However, it is tau rho discussed in LRBT and shown  as a field mark used in Aquileia in ERIC II, so I stand by my suggested emperors, although this example does appear a little crude.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 11:01:10 pm »
if you have not seen it, here is a good ID website

http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/home.htm
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 11:26:28 pm »

Oh wow, seems like I learn something everyday in this hobby. Reach nearly the same conclusion in 2 minutes it took me an hour to reach the hard way this afternoon. Thanks for the steer Victor.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity