Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: IDying the emperor  (Read 408 times)

Offline palves

• Consul
IDying the emperor
« on: July 03, 2022, 06:15:28 am »
Hi,
I think this is a Victory with captive, trophy on the shoulder, chi-rho on the left field and mintmark AQ(...), but I am at loss with the ruler... any help?
Diam. 12mm
Weight: 1.10g

Thanks

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Re: IDying the emperor
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 02:37:20 pm »

It does appear to be a SALVS REIPVBLICAE reverse.  Given the Chi Rho in the left field and assuming Aquileia is the mint, I think we can narrow it down to Theodosius I, Honorius, or Arcadius. I first identified all possible candidates as discussed in Caza LRBT pp. 316-317, and then refined from there using ERIC II to find those who minted in Aquileia with the Chi Rho in the left field

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 04:02:35 pm »
that's a tau-rho in the left field
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 10:48:23 pm »

Thanks Victor. Obviously I didn’t notice that. However, it is tau rho discussed in LRBT and shown  as a field mark used in Aquileia in ERIC II, so I stand by my suggested emperors, although this example does appear a little crude.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 11:01:10 pm »
if you have not seen it, here is a good ID website

http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/home.htm
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 11:26:28 pm »

Oh wow, seems like I learn something everyday in this hobby. Reach nearly the same conclusion in 2 minutes it took me an hour to reach the hard way this afternoon. Thanks for the steer Victor.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity