Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Imitative SBCV 2073 John III Hyperpyra  (Read 829 times)

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Imitative SBCV 2073 John III Hyperpyra
« on: June 26, 2022, 02:19:01 am »
In recent times numerous examples of the copper version of the hyperpyron S.2073 have appeared on the market, featuring various obviously artificial patinas and coatings.
But there are also imitatives in gold as well, and I have now uploaded examples of all the different obverse types that I know of (14 in all) to the Byzantine fake reports.

Ross G.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Imitative SBCV 2073 John III Hyperpyra
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 04:40:26 am »
Thanks for posting Ross, it seems the more popular the coin the more bogus coins appear.  Its so irionic and coin that was coppied from John II by John III is now abundantly forged.

I still have the copper one you pointed out was a copy. It will never see the market again.

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 11:22:03 pm »
I think it is better to call a fake a fake, rather than an imitative. I find it unclear. For example, at least once very recently, I thought to myself, "is the 'cast imitative' being discussed a modern fake or an ancient imitative?" Looking at the photos made it clear it was fake, but it might be very confusing to a new collector
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 04:22:52 pm »
Joe,
Your post confused me. I responded here, but just cut the text and am going to make a separate post in a more general category.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity