Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arrowhead 1  (Read 978 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Arrowhead 1
« on: June 14, 2022, 11:17:59 pm »
So, I am adding my arrowheards from my grandfather to my formal collection and trying to see if I can get some kind of more definitive IDs for these. They were found in the Oklahoma panhandle at some point from 1910 to 1935 or so. I have a few of his Buffalo nickels, as well. I am just curious about these.

Arrowhead 1
42 mm top to bottom
23mm widest point
5.58 grams

Thanks,
Virgil

Online Bill W4

• Caesar
Re: Arrowhead 1
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 02:03:04 pm »
That is a fine looking point.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Online Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 02:50:01 pm »
If I may, I'll add one of mine.  Found in a small creek below my house in southeastern Pa.  Delaware, Leni Lenape; probably 1200bc.   

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 04:05:30 pm »
That one is a beauty.

Virgil

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 08:58:46 pm »
Nice one, Bill!

Online Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 07:21:40 pm »
Odd that they are easier to photograph than coins.  At least for me.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 07:27:38 pm »
Ha ha, it is true for me, as well. My point photos came out better than any coins I have photographed.

Virgil

Online Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 07:35:01 pm »
Perhaps we have found our niche.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 06:10:09 pm »
I am going to post this because I think there are some here who would be interested. I was amazed and I am going to have to spend some time comparing my projectile points to the photos and listings here. It is way more complicated than I thought. This seems to be a very well-done site that deals with Oklahoma, one state in the west in the US. Maybe saying southern west mid-west would be more accurate.

https://www.projectilepoints.net/Search/Oklahoma_Search.html

Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 05:03:35 pm »
After many hours, I believe I have identified the projectile point (photo in first post in thread). This is much harder than coins, or it was for me, and I had no idea how many different legitimate types of points and other tools there are and this is just North America. The website above differentiates between "Valid Type" and "Collector Type," where valid types have been documented in peer reviewed journals, etc. Anyway, there were a number of types that are close, but I have settled on the below. One thing about this one is the intricate work and high quality material that I believe is Dakota Quartzite, which occurs regularly in the area the point was found. Next up to identify are the two notched points.

Midland Point (a Valid type first identified in 1955)
Plano Lanceolate Cluster
Date: 10,900 - 10,200 BP (approx 8,900 - 8,200 BC)
Cultural Period: Transitional Paleo
Glacial Period: Late Pleistocene to Early Holocene

Description of Physical Characteristics and Flaking Pattern:

This is a thin small to medium lanceolate point with a flattened cross section.  The blade is excurvate with the widest part of the blade being on the top third.  The blade commonly has fine and regular steep re-touching.  The base may vary from concave to straight.  Grinding is present on the lateral hafting region commonly to the widest  part of the blade, but only light or no grinding is present in the basal concavity.  Basal thinning is created by the removal of three to four short flakes on one face.  The flaking pattern may range from horizontal to parallel oblique or random.

Size Measurements:  Length - 30 to 80 mm,  Width - 16 to 28 mm,  Thickness - 3 to 5 mm

Distribution Comments:
This point is found in the Plains region from southern Canada into northern Mexico.  This point is similar to the Folsom point and may have the same distribution. [My note: Folsom points are fluted and mine is not]

This is actually fun and I may start looking for points where I live.

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline v-drome

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 08:30:17 pm »
Very nice.  and thank you for the detailed description and terminology.  Very helpful for future reference when I am trying to describe my neolithic finds.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 09:57:23 pm »
Thanks for the comment. That site I referenced is where I got all the details. From what I can tell, it is a great site done by knowledgable people. I liken it to the Wildwinds of projectile points. Mine matches up with this type as close as I can determine. Just like coins, size seems to be a big factor. I eliminated a couple options due to mine being too short in length. Plus, every type has a range map of where they are usually found, which is really helpful if you know where the point came from.

I am going to try to map out some local areas to go looking in my area (Southeast US). It seems as if creeks and the like are good places to look, but this is all new to me. A new adventure, perhaps.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity