Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Here's a Fun One: Roman Republic Denarius A. Antus Resto Overstruck?  (Read 903 times)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
Hello Everyone! Here is somethng'fun': a C. Antus Resto Roman Republic denarius, dating to 47 BCE. It was described as "heavily scratched". The reverse shows a lot of undertype behind Herakles, not scratches. The lines are superimposed on each other, with all devices flattened (reminiscent of the 1787 Camel Head New Jersey Colonial coin-99% of those were overstruck on something). The undertype looks like a building or two, with a wide gully at the top. You will also notice some portions of lettering at the wide part of the rim upper-left. The obverse I thought was the product of a die in the process of chipping, but the truth is that the coiner didn't apply enough pressure to mitigate the undertype devices, so the edge of the legend didn't meet the field. 19mm diameter and it weighs 3.1g. I had to use this background  for scanning; otherwise I'd have to strip it.... Any thoughts?

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Here's a Fun One: Roman Republic Denarius A. Antus Resto Overstruck?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 11:14:56 am »
I do not think overstruck, but rather corroded and harshly cleaned.

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 05:15:03 pm »
Oh, it's all of that, but the undertype is undeniable. I'm wondering if it were from somewhere else

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 07:49:27 pm »
I do not see the undertype.   This is a Cr455/2.    C Antius Cf Restio -- Jugate heads of the Dei Penates right / Hercules walking right, holding trophy with left hand, cloak over arm, club in right.   They are often struck off-center and with weak strikes. I think part of what you see on Rx is Hercules 's rear-most leg, which  crosses behind in an odd angle to convey movement.
  It is not one of the rare overstrikes illustrated by Andrew McCabe,
ROMAN OVER ROMAN OVERSTRIKES IN THE LATER ROMAN REPUBLIC, RBN
 clxiv (2018). 
McCabe notes that most identified silver overstrikes from that period are on relatively recent host coins.
  But perhaps you could take a few higher resolution photos from a few angles?
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 11:29:36 pm »
This is a scan, which does leave a lot to be desired. There is an "N", among parts of other letters, seen on the rim around 10:00 reverse. Someone thought that the lines seen in the field under Herakles' arm were scratches; they are actually superimposed devices. I do have the advantage of having in in hand; I'll try photography tomorrow

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 03:44:21 pm »
The outlined shapes seen in the lower left field are superimposed on each other, not inscribed

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 03:59:18 pm »
Here, you can see the failure of the die at the legend to meet the flan; obstructed...

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 08:29:08 pm »
Sorry, but to me it still looks like the result of heavy cleaning and scrapping.

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 10:50:14 pm »
Yeah, it probably does, but I have the advantage of having it "in hand". I'll let you know what NGC says

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 06:55:59 am »
I think it is overstruck, but I can't fathom what the host coin was.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 08:27:28 am »
Hi Ron,

i was thinking this one (it kind of fits the bill), or something similar

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 10:31:18 am »
I can see why you may think your coin (the second coin) is overstruck, but if it is the remains of the host coin are so faint as to be unidentifiable.  I am curious about the edge test at about 1-2 o'clock--does it show a copper core?  There is also some green on the reverse near a crack--perhaps also an indication we are dealing with a fourree rather than an overstrike.  Silver foil coatings of fourrees often show such cracks, easy to mistake for traces of overstriking.

As for the first coin, I see no real traces of overstriking, just the remains of scraping and rough cleaning.

All, of course, is just my opinion based on observation.  I may be wrong, and in fact often am.

Mac

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 01:53:40 pm »
Mac, he doesn't own the second coin, he thinks the second coin (from the NGC website) is a candidate for an undertype (though I disagree). 

I think an undertype is likely, as the obverse seems to show two distinct edge bead outlines, that do not complete a circle - they are quite offset from one another - and I see angular field artifacts on the reverse that look a little like a flattened temple reverse

If there is an undertype, it's too squished to every hope for a positive ID in my view.  But I would buy the theory the flan is recycled.

It's also a worn and destructively cleaned coin.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 06:09:42 pm »
I love Greek overstrikes, but I have an entire box of coins that maybe overstruck or are certainly overstruck but the host coin is not identifable.  I hate those coins, but every once in a while I get them out and jope for insight--almost always in vain.

Mac

All coins are guaranteed for eternity