Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please help with a Syracuse (?) coin - 2  (Read 622 times)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
Please help with a Syracuse (?) coin - 2
« on: March 27, 2021, 06:01:05 pm »
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Please help with this one.
4.58 g 16.62 mm
The person I got them from is not skilled at all in ancient coins and the only clue I have is a note from a previous owner, stating SYRACUSE BULL.
I think I distinguish the bull walking right and all the examples I found are with bull walking LEFT.
Any ideas, please?

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Please help with a Syracuse (?) coin - 2
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 08:35:27 pm »
I am pretty sure that it is still "Bull, walking left". :) Here is a link to a similar in my gallery. It is also from the Syracuse mint struck under Agathokles...actually, probably the same coin. lol

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-63961

Let me know what you think!

Chris

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 09:56:47 pm »
Very likely, thanks! The tail can be easily seen as one of the horns.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 05:50:07 am »
Hi amb,

I read this thread after your other Syracuse biga/bull thread. I see that you have another coin of the same type.

I would like to add one minor correction. Technically, the bull is butting, not walking.

On these coins, the bull is butting.
On most Campania MFB coins, the bull is walking or standing.
On your Panormus fore-part of MFB coin and on Campania fore-part of MFB coins, the bull is probably swimming (according to Nick Molinari).

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity