Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A big upgrade from the Weise collection - Ron C2's latest gallery coins  (Read 17551 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Septimius CONSECRATIO - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #250 on: December 29, 2022, 11:16:20 am »
I added a really nice example of one of the Septimius Severus CONSECRATIO variations struck under Caracalla, in this case an eagle standing on a globe.  My second example of this series. (there were 5 denarii and two aurei in the series). 

Let me know what you think, but I'm rather pleased with this one. In person it has some mint luster and cabinet toning.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=178684

For reference here is my other coin from the series, with a funeral pyre reverse:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=171366

I'm still missing:
191A - aureus, eagle standing on thunderbolt, R2
191B - denarius version of the aureus, S.
191D - denarius eagle on ow column or altar, S.
191E - denarius throne with a wreath placed on it, S.
191F - aureus version of the funeral pyre denarius I posted above.

Well I managed to track down one more of the consecratio series I was missing - this time RIC 191D.  Only one of these in the RD hoard, so for certain one of the scarcer versions of the consecratio issues.  Interestingly the auction house had it misattributed to the more common eagle on globe version.

Let me know what you think, I was tickled pink to find this one :)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=179443
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: scarce septimius severus denarius - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #251 on: December 29, 2022, 11:47:28 am »
Great find.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: scarce septimius severus denarius - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #252 on: December 30, 2022, 04:29:21 pm »
I added a couple more denarii to my Septimius Severus gallery today.  These will be the last ones this year (2022), though I have some nice additions in the mail that will get posted likely in January :)

I think these coins are interesting because the rarity ratings in RIC run totally contrary to the hoard evidence in Reka Devnia.

First up: RIC 126a. Listed as "common" in RIC, but only 12 examples in RD - this sample size in RD would often indicate a coin that is "scarce" in RIC

I rather like this issue, it has a really distinct ship's prow on the reverse, and nautically themed coins were not common in Septimius' reign - his gods must have favored the infantry :)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=179461

Second is RIC 135b. Listed as "rare" in RIC, so much so that they cite only a single reference collection example.  Yet there were 48 examples in the RD hoard - normally an indicator of a "common" denarius.  In this case, it's got a nice Moneta reverse.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=179462

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Last 2022 septimius severus denarii - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #253 on: December 30, 2022, 05:17:02 pm »
Ron,

Two wonderful additions at the end of the year.

Tracy

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #254 on: December 31, 2022, 05:18:26 am »
Your Moneta is RIC 511a from Laodicea rather than from Rome.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #255 on: December 31, 2022, 10:39:01 am »
Martin I'm assuming you mean 510a, not 511a.  What makes it not 135b, apart from perhaps style? I have another 510a coin in my gallery/collection and the 2 styles could not be more different from one another.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #256 on: December 31, 2022, 11:22:49 am »
Apologies. 510a.

The style of both is Eastern. There is a range of engarving style but these are all eastern as are my two below.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #257 on: December 31, 2022, 11:31:19 am »
In your view, does 135b even exist then? Ric noted a single example, possibly a misattribution?

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #258 on: December 31, 2022, 02:52:42 pm »
Looking at the BMCRE entry for this coin it states in the footnote that it is also likely an Eastern issue thus I doubt that the Rome mint version actually has been seen. It does not mean that is doesn't exist but is doubtful. I have found many examples online claiming to be Rome mint but they are all eastern.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #259 on: December 31, 2022, 03:53:17 pm »
ok thanks, I changed the attribution accordingly.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #260 on: January 01, 2023, 09:43:11 am »
I am most often reluctant to rule out coins from the standard catalogs. They may have seen things that have simple not been seen since. A Rome mint version of the Moneta coin would make sense but with the British Museum judging it doubtful I suspect it was originally a misreading.

I recently acquired a coin which I had not seen in the market or online since I have been collecting ancients. This coin is also cited from a single collection.

Septimius Severus denarius

Obv:- L SEPT SEV AVG IMP XI PART MAX, laureate head right
Rev:- IOVI CONSERVATORI Jupiter seated to left on throne with a back, holding Victory and long scepter
Minted in Laodicea-ad-Mare. A.D. 199-202
Reference:- RIC 504a. BMCRE Pg. 286 •. Both citing L A Lawrence ESQ., F.R.C.S. collection

Weight 3.13g. 18.72mm. 180 degrees

The L A Lawrence died in 1949 and collection was sold off by Glendening's across 7 auctions in 1950 and 1951. His denarii of Septimius Severus were sold in un-illustrated lots. The destination of his example of RIC 504a is unknown. It doesn't appear to have been purchased by the BM, who were given first refusal on any coins from his collection. The BM database contains 5 examples from Rome but none from Laodicea.

I have discussed the coin with Curtis Clay and he is aware of one example other than mine, which is a double die match to mine and is in his own collection

So I do not always rule out the existence of a coin even if it hasn't been seen on the market since the catalogs were made.

I think this is just another part of the hunt. Maybe you will come across a Rome example of the MONETA sme day and be able to counter the arguments in this thread.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: First 2023 septimius severus denarius - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #261 on: January 04, 2023, 04:39:19 pm »
Well I'm already posting my first coin of 2023!  Actually it was bought in Dec 2022, but only arrived to me yesterday.

This one is a Laodicea ad mare denarius of Septimius Severus, a nice Victory reverse, struck nice and heavily with good relief.  RIC IVa 499. 

I think it's a nice start to the collecting year :)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=179607

This is a heavy coin and may well be overstruck on an earlier 1st century flan. Some known examples from this time period and mint in this weight range still sow evidence of under-types, though I can't see any under-typing on this specimen.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #262 on: January 04, 2023, 06:44:14 pm »
Heavy coin for the time and great style!  Congrats

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #263 on: January 05, 2023, 03:53:03 am »
That's a nice example of the type. The weight is certainly noteworthy.

My only example of the type was sold to me as a Limes by the finder who found it in a field in west Wales. When I got it home I suspected that it was silver and attempted to clean it. One of my very few attempts at cleaning a coin.

Before and after images attached.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #264 on: January 05, 2023, 07:59:28 am »
As cleaning jobs go, that's a pretty good one I'd say!

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Maurice Tiberius AV Tremissis - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2023, 09:42:42 pm »
I just expanded my Byzantine Gold gallery with this delightful little Maurice Tiberius Tremissis.  It's amazing how small and this this little 1.13g coin is, the smallest gold piece in byzantine circulation in its time.  Still an an uncommon find though, and I'm happy to have it - my first gold piece form this emperor.  It's in nice condition for a Trimessis. 

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=179843

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2023, 10:24:22 pm »
Great little coin Ron.  Well struck. These used to be so cheap a few years ago.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #267 on: January 12, 2023, 10:33:46 pm »
yeah, but less so now - sadly.  Anything gold and ancient is up in price.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Archelaus of Cappadocia - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #268 on: January 18, 2023, 08:22:12 pm »
I just picked up a coin I've been chasing for a while.  These are around, but seem to almost never come up for sale in any condition, so I bought this one when it presented itself, as I'm not sure when another will surface.  This is a drachm of the last king of Cappadocia before Rome annexed it as a Roman province in 17AD.

Archelaus Philopatris Ktistes, lover of his people and founder, is perhaps the most interesting Cappadocian king to have lived.  He was appointed king by Mark Antony in 36BC after Antony had Ariarathes X executed at the urging of his mother, Glaphyra.

Despite his ties to Mark Antony, Archelaus supported Octavian at Actium, who decided to reaffirm Archelaus' rule. I guess he could really pick a winner.  In 25BC, Augustus supported Archelaus and expanded Cappadiocia to include parts of Kilikia and Lesser Armenia.  Shortly after that, Archelaus moved the royal capital, for the first and last time, from Eusebia (where the coins were nearly all minted) to the Kilikian coastal city of Elaiussa, which re re-named Sebaste (Greek for Augustus).  Later he also renamed Eusebia to Caesarea.

In 17BC, Archelaus' daughter married Harrod the Great of Judea's son. 

While Archelaus ruled a really long time for a Cappadocian king (52 years!) he made the mistake of supporting Gaius over Tiberius near the end of Augustus' life.  When Tiberius ascended, he summoned Archelaus to Rome, imprisoned him and charged him with treason against the Empire.  He died in captivity in AD17 before his trial could be completed, and Rome annexed Cappadocia immediately afterward.

The example I found is worn, but still legible.  When newly struck it would have been a very nice strike from what I can tell.  One day I hope to find a better example, but this one was surprisingly expensive and these just don't seem to come for sale.  Despite his long reign, Archelaus does not seem to have minted a large volume of drachms - in fact apart from the regnal year, he only had one drachm pattern (this one).  Most of the drachms minted during this period were Roman provincial coins of Augustus or Tiberius - a clear nod to Cappadocia's monarch being effectively a client king of Rome.

let me know what you think of this rare gem! (it's an R2, FWIW).

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=179906

PS: I now have examples of every Cappadocian king that struck drachms (but not tetradrachms) except Ariarathes IStill need to find one of those...

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2023, 06:11:22 am »
Hello Ron C2,
I am very glad with your info about the Cappadocian Drachm of Archelaos, which, as I did not know, is so difficult to find.
I got my specimen for free, from an auctioneer for whom I did some determination work.
Mine is not so well centered, clean and legible as yours is, but I  am not going to cleanse it.
By this occasion, I took the coin out of the coinholder to be able to scan and photograph it. However, the result is not overwhelming  ::).
Here it is:

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2023, 06:58:02 am »
Thanks for showing it! It may not be as centered, but it is definitely less worn.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #271 on: January 19, 2023, 04:50:31 pm »
Nice coin, Ron, I have an AE from Eusebeia (Caesarea) minted during the reign of Archelaus I got from Forum a while back, it is also very rare. I am about to post that one to my gallery.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #272 on: January 19, 2023, 11:47:46 pm »
I can't wait to see it Virgil!

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Andronicus II Hyperpyron - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #273 on: January 23, 2023, 10:12:24 pm »
I picked up my first Hyperpyron and posted it to my gallery.  This one is Sear 2461, a Hyperpyron of Andronicus II, as co-emperor with Andronicus III

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=180008

Andronikos' reign marked the beginning of the recently-restored Byzantine empire's final decline. The Turks conquered most of his remaining Anatolian territories and during the last years of his reign he fought his own grandson in the First Palaiologan Civil War. The war ended in Andronikos' abdication in 1328.  He subsequently retired to a monastery for the remainder of his life - which seems to have been a common fate of deposed byzantine emperors that weren't assassinated.

This coin is what DOC called a "class III" hyperpyron of Andronicus II.  At this point in his reign, the hyperpyron had been debased to about 46% gold - around 11 carat.  At the start of his reign, a class I hyperpyron was around 61% gold, or nearly 15 carats.  This debasement was a function of the declining health of the empire under his reign. 

Andronicus was removed from power in 1328. Not long after, in 1352, the last byzantine gold coins were struck - very debased hyperpyra under John VI Kantakouzenos.

The example I posted here suffers from being double or maybe tipple struck, most obviously on the obverse.  Nevertheless, decently struck coins of this period are hard to come by, and I rather like this coin despite its imperfections.

Lastly, it's scyphate - if that's not obvious in the photos.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Andronicus II Hyperpyron - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #274 on: January 23, 2023, 11:14:05 pm »
Triple sturck!  Never seen that before.  Interesting piece.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity