Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: is there any reason to doubt this siglos? weird certificate of authenticity.  (Read 662 times)

Offline iameatingjam

• Praetorian
So I have learned not to buy from random sellers on ebay... but I ordered this like 6 weeks ago before I learned that lesson... and it just came today. It came with this 'certificate of authenticity' and I'm actually not sure if its a joke? You can obviously see that some text was pasted onto it and then photocopied. It looks really bad. I don't know if that is normal practice? but it seems really weird to me, it actually had me doubting the coin itself which was labelled as a siglos from the achaemenid empire from 450BC. Looking back its weird that its an absolute number as opposed to a range...

I've never seen or felt one in person before but it does strike me as quite smooth feeling.

Your thoughts? Thank you!

Offline iameatingjam

• Praetorian
more pics

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
I cannot comment on the coin itself, but I have seen these "certificates of authenticity" before. Normally, they are part of selling "Spanish doubloons" to people who don't know anything about coins, but have heard of a Spanish doubloon. It is part of the marketing strategy and I suppose appeals to people who want a piece of history and they are advertised in general interest rather than specific types of publications, like the Smithsonian Magazine. In the case of the "Spanish doubloons," I always thought they were probably authentic as far as being old coins (but I really don't know), but they were so worn as to be unidentifiable and overpriced. Seeing this for a coin like you posted is something different.

Virgil

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Such certificates of authenticity are only as valuable as the person issuing them.

I see nothing suspicious about the siglos, but it is impossible to be absolutely sure from a photo.  What is the weight?

Offline iameatingjam

• Praetorian
5.48 grams. and from the widest point about 17mm.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
I think it is an authentic siglos, but research it and form your own opinion.  As I recollect, the Darius types have a kneeling archer, or a half archer.  So, this is probably later than Darius.  But, again, it is imho a Persian siglos, just probably not Darius.  For a book showing the differences in sigloi, Greek Coins and their Values, vol 2 Asia, there are probably better sources both online and off, but I am not familiar with them.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
For a book showing the differences in sigloi, Greek Coins and their Values, vol 2 Asia, there are probably better sources both online and off, but I am not familiar with them.

Or just click on siglos and see the article in NumisWiki.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline iameatingjam

• Praetorian
I think it is an authentic siglos, but research it and form your own opinion.  As I recollect, the Darius types have a kneeling archer, or a half archer.  So, this is probably later than Darius.  But, again, it is imho a Persian siglos, just probably not Darius.  For a book showing the differences in sigloi, Greek Coins and their Values, vol 2 Asia, there are probably better sources both online and off, but I am not familiar with them.

Thanks for your input. I dont know whos on the coin but whoever he is, he is definitely kneeling. I guess its probably hard to see from the picture but both legs are bent.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Quote from: Jesse F on February 10, 2021, 03:04:11 am
... I dont know whos on the coin ...
We neither  ;). It is just a symbolic depiction of the Persian great king.

Quote from: Jesse F on February 10, 2021, 03:04:11 am
...  he is definitely kneeling. I guess its probably hard to see from the picture but both legs are bent. ...
This is the so-called "kneeling-running stance" you find quite often on the coins of this time, expressing a dynamic movement. On the Persian sigloi you have it always:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=achaem+siglos&category=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1&thesaurus=1&order=1&currency=eur&company=

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity