Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Eastern Sept. Sev. - Laodicea - draped and cuirassed bust  (Read 928 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Eastern Sept. Sev. - Laodicea - draped and cuirassed bust
« on: April 06, 2019, 08:45:28 am »
Whilst I have a general focus on the eastern issues of Septimius Severus, I try not to buy much of his later eastern issues from "Laodicea-ad-Mare" unless they have something slightly unusal. I think this one counts and is worth sharing.

I know that the coin has quite a few issues but I must admit that I didn't think I would own anything from these issues that wasn't just the plain head right.

Septimius Severus denarius

Obv:– L SEPT SEV AVG IMP XI PART MAX, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
Rev:– AEQVITA-TI AVGG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopia
Minted in Laodicea ad Mare. A.D. 201
Reference(s) – RIC IV -; BMCRE -; RSC 22a

Not the same dies as Arnold lot 5 and Barry Murphy SEV-169.

2.57 gms, 18.24 mm. 330 degrees

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Eastern Sept. Sev. - Laodicea - draped and cuirassed bust
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 03:33:00 am »
Hi marid,

Nice coin! :)

Interesting portrait.

Meepzorp

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 06:20:50 am »
Martin, very nice looking bust variant! I have not seen this one before.

Though I have to admit sometimes it is very tricky to 100% be sure if this is draped and cuirassed, or only draped bust. From my side I usually recognise a cuirasse when that small plates on the shoulder are more distinctive. For example as for coins below I would say that left one is only draped bust, but right is draped and cuirassed (because of visible plates over shoulder). However, there could be various types of cuirasses too...

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 07:57:17 am »
Mine appears to be a different obverse die to the Barry Murphy example, which is certainly Draped and cuirassed. Mine could be draped only. A die search for a better example is called for I think.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 02:23:01 pm »
I agree, yours looks draped only.

Unfortunately my cast collection doesn't include another spec. from your obv. die; just two casts of the draped and cuirassed Arnold specimen, before and after cleaning; and a cast of a BM denarius ex L.A. Lawrence collection with a different fancy bust, laureate cuirassed right seen from front, fold of cloak on l. shoulder, RSC 21b, which is from the same obverse die as the Cederlind Estate specimen shown below (CNG E387, 30 Nov. 2016, 478).

Cohen 22=RSC 22 reports a draped only specimen, but unfortunately without naming a source. Maybe indeed another specimen from your obv. die, though we shouldn't entirely exclude that Cohen just misreported a draped and cuirassed example like Arnold's and Barry Murphy's.
Curtis Clay

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 03:02:23 pm »
Yes, same cuirassed bust type as the BM and Cederlind Aequitas coins, but of course from an earlier issue with different obv. legend and different rev. type.

I think there is only one such IMP VIII cuirassed obv. die, which also occurs with the rev. type P M TR P V COS II P P, Pax seated left.
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 03:47:47 pm »
Many thanks for the information and for taking the time to check Curtis. It is very mich appreciated.

Gorgeous coin Q.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 04:55:35 pm »
Thanks, :)

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2022, 05:01:53 am »
Reopening a thead some years on to illustrated a new axcquisition. This time the draped and cuirassed die. This looks to be the same die as the Barry Murphy example.

Obv:– L SEPT SEV AVG IMP XI PART MAX, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
Rev:– AEQVITA-TI AVGG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopia
Minted in Laodicea ad Mare. A.D. 201

2.51 gms, 18.73 mm. 0 degrees

This coin seems to have some surface dirt still adhering in a few crevices. This image as the coin arrived with me. I will now contemplate whether to remove the dirt.

Offline Aeneas

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 06:33:36 am »
Nobody asked but this picture gives an overview how I define the different portrait types on the silver coins for Caracalla. I presume the same applies for the denarii of Septimius (and Geta). The distinction between "draped and cuirassed" and "draped" only can sometimes be challenging on the Eastern issues. Let me know if you use another definition!

Greetings, David

Offline septimus

• Consul
    • Monnaies de Septime Sévère et sa famille (193-217)
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 04:58:18 am »
Hi David, I agree with your definition, you can add the bare head busts (Caracalla Caesar or deified) to be complete!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity