Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help in the identification of this wierd trachy  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
Help in the identification of this wierd trachy
« on: October 14, 2017, 10:47:55 pm »
Picked up this recently, but I am a bit baffled by it.  Can anyone help with the identification?

Thanks,

QG

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Help in the identification of this wierd trachy
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 02:36:21 am »
I am traveling QG, not near my books but I have seen this recently in one. Doc IV . Sorry cannot be of more help. Gone for a month.

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 12:34:07 pm »
I think Andronicus II and Michael  IX . SBCV 2425   ???
Regards ,
Vlad

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 04:57:11 pm »
Yes, it is S. 2425.
The obverse is a large labarum head over a jewelled crescent - the obverse in the original post is upside down.

Ross G.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 05:02:35 pm »
Awesome!  Thanks.  It looked very weird when I bought it and couldn't make heads or tails from it. My original thought was that it was the "five wounds" glorified somehow, but that didn't pan out wrt known coins...

Regards,

Ram

Offline Chrismon

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 06:57:19 pm »
Awesome!  Thanks.  It looked very weird when I bought it and couldn't make heads or tails from it. My original thought was that it was the "five wounds" glorified somehow, but that didn't pan out wrt known coins...

Regards,

Ram

Nice coin, and very interesting! Have the five wounds ever appeared on Byzantine coins? Not sure if I’ve ever seen them - would be interesting to know if they, or related imagery, have ever been included on these coins.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 06:59:19 am »
The five wounds have been shown, with Jesus, on a lot of different coins.  For instance, the five "dots" on the Gospel represents the five wounds...

Byzantine Empire: Æ Anonymous Class H Follis, Attributed to Michael VII (1071-1078), Constantinople Mint (Sear-1880; DOC H.5)

Offline Chrismon

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 07:18:09 am »
Thanks so much for this! Very interesting...are there any examples on late Byzantine coinage (or other depictions of wounds?)

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 10:54:37 pm »
QG, had not seen that info relating to the five dots on the bible, I am interested on the references for that?

Cw

( edit- disregard I have found some sources)

Offline Chrismon

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 09:40:31 am »

I'd be interested in reading up on this issue of the five wounds/dots on Bible - would anyone know any sources/references?

Kind regards.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 06:03:20 pm »
I read it somewhere.  Let me dig it up...

Regards,

QG

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 08:13:17 am »
Thanks so much for this! Very interesting...are there any examples on late Byzantine coinage (or other depictions of wounds?)

I had not heard this until this post, it does sound very believable so I checked my coins; On checking Christ with gospel coins  many had multiple dots however some with three some with more than five, It just does not seem to be consistent. 
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 08:26:54 am »
Hi Quant Geek ... congrats on your cool new addition (I hope things are good in your coin-Land)

Cheers

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 02:08:46 pm »
I would be interested in knowing the coins that do not have five dots on them.  I am still looking for the reference as I don't remember where it came from  :-\

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 02:09:54 pm »
Hi Quant Geek ... congrats on your cool new addition (I hope things are good in your coin-Land)

Cheers

Thanks Steve!  Glad you like it as I was thrilled when I picked it up.  Got a few more coins on the way!

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 05:22:20 pm »
I would be interested in knowing the coins that do not have five dots on them.  I am still looking for the reference as I don't remember where it came from  :-\

Hi Ram,

My collection only goes to around 1200, you can click on any of my Christ examples ( Mostly Alexius and John II) and they don't have 5 dots, even an Isaac coin I have does not. They seem much more numerous on the Tetarteron with a large portrait, and 3 on the full length images of Christ.

I did read this wiki article, not directly pertaining to coins but an interesting section on art.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Holy_Wounds

The coin that started this conversation might pertain but the earlier issues of the Anonymous follis and such might not.

Simon

All coins are guaranteed for eternity