Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: monogram  (Read 668 times)

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
monogram
« on: April 26, 2011, 02:28:10 am »
I know there are hundreds of monograms for the seals of officials. I was wondering if one might though be able to decipher what this one might be.

Thanks

cw

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: monogram
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:14:58 am »
These monograms will be hard to solve, as they leave room to many possibilities (X/N/M or all those letters). The obverse is possibly 'Chartoulariou' monogram, can't make much of the second one. If the reading of the first one is correct, that would have to be a personal name, possibly combined with a patronym.
The two monograms are the same, except for the bottom line on the 2nd one, adding delta to the monogram? So certainly A, O, P, T, V and possible I, M, N, X.
Regards
Gert

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: monogram
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:32:57 pm »
Well that is of help, I was not expecting a exact ID or anything.

Appreciate the input.

cw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity