Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Greek with Poseidon  (Read 724 times)

Offline Libanus93

• Praetorian
Unknown Greek with Poseidon
« on: July 26, 2021, 06:01:39 pm »
Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted here.

I have been trying to ID this Greek bronze for a few days now.  FB forums helped in identifying the deity, but I'm still working on it.

20mm

Obv:  Poseidon facing left with trident behind head.
Rev:  Prow left,  :Greek_epsilon: to left,  :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Omega: below,  :Greek_Lambda: II to right.

Thank you for your help.
Son zeneize, rizo ræo, strenzo i denti e parlo ciæo.

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Unknown Greek with Poseidon
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 10:21:45 pm »
Dear Libanus93 and Board,

This is a Greek bronze issue of Byzantium struck under the magistrate Pytho[...]:

https://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/coins/1543

What is neat about your piece are the extra letters which seem to extend both the ethnic and magistrate's name.  I am a little busy at the moment, but this would make an excellent research project! 

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Libanus93

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 12:47:07 am »
Thank you Sir!

Byzantion showed up on some of my searches, but nothing of this type.  I can see the Magistrate's name now-- :Greek_Pi: :Greek_Upsilon: :Greek_Theta_2: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Omega: and perhaps  :Greek_Pi: :Greek_Iota: (a date?) to the right of the prow?  Interesting!  I will do a bit more research this week.

Offline Libanus93

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 06:36:49 pm »
Just did more research.  Schonert-Geiss cross references this piece to Moushmov 2255.  Confirmed.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity