Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The rarity of the 5 copper coin  (Read 748 times)

Offline Kaiz M

• Auxiliary
The rarity of the 5 copper coin
« on: May 24, 2021, 12:58:34 am »
Hi everyone,

I have one of 5 known coins of a specific type.

What is the rarity?  Is there an official rarity listing?  I know there used to be one, but with all of the coins being found.. has it changed?

Thanks in advance!!!

Offline Victor N

• Praetorian
Re: The rarity of the 5 copper coin
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 10:55:05 am »
Catalogues list rarity as  R, RR, and RRR for the highest rarity, the latter where maybe only one or two are known. If you have such a RRR coin it is not evidence or proof that only one or two exist, only that one or two are recorded but dozens may exist unknown to the owners.

Many discoveries of a large or small hoard have left collectors seeing the value tumble.
I collect Indian & Islamic coins, the sudden popularity of which has not only lead to prices going through the roof but also to the discovery of previous uncatalogued coins, several coins listed as RR or even RRR are now known to exist in larger numbers

All coins are guaranteed for eternity