Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

How do you store your coins?

Flips
170 (46.4%)
Cardboard Holders
47 (12.8%)
Slabbed
9 (2.5%)
Velvet Trays
101 (27.6%)
Other (please specify)
39 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: Prefered Storage Method  (Read 84179 times)

sejanus

Prefered Storage Method
« on: January 19, 2005, 04:29:49 pm »
I have always wondered if there was one dominant method, although I would assume flips are most popular for ancients. :)

Sejanus

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!
Re:Prefered Storage Method
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 04:41:39 pm »
I presently use flips in those blue plastic boxes, but I'm in the process of designing a cabinet that will use velvet trays.

All I'm waiting on is for the carpenter to get his hands on enough mahogany and cherry wood...

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 06:43:30 pm »
Many woods will give off vapors for a considerable period of time, due to their natural characteristics or treatments to prevent rot.  One of the reasons mahogany is so popular for coin cabinets is that it's very stabe and does not give off chemical vapors.

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 10:58:30 am »
Hi all,

I voted - then looked closely at the options - saw "slabbed" was an option and am going to have to go and lie down for a while .  :o

Only joking  ;D

-:Bacchus:-

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 06:26:42 pm »
I suppose I'm in the minority here... I use the cardboard holders.

I collect denarii so I really don't want to handle them too much (fingerprints and such) and the cardboard holders are easy to store in an album.

Offline Bluefish

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
  • I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 08:41:21 pm »
I agonized over this when I first started out. I began with flips, but found them to be unwieldy, and the coins slid around a lot, sometimes out of the flip itself.  I settled on the cardboard holders. (See below)

The front has the rarity in the upper left corner, and my # system in the upper right. The obverse legend appears over the coin, and the rulers name below. The lower  left has the ref. #.  The reverse has the legend, mint, and date range. These are the most important things I want to see at a glance.

The holders go into a binder, in sheets holding 20 coins each. (Makes it easy for me to page through and admire the coins, and when I remove them they are still protected by the cardboard.)

Lastly there is a second binder corresponding by ruler and coin and number, which holds my Moneta data sheets.
HAM & EGGS-a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.  
The only difference between a rut & a grave is the depth

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 10:31:44 pm »

I’m apparently one of the very-few to have selected #4 “Other.”

I ‘store’ mine in open display in my private museum, all encased in glass cases. So I can see them all any time – and all the time – as can any of the few who are ever granted entrance.

I’ll try get a couple pics of what they look like if anyone might ever care to see.

Best –  :)
   Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 10:58:41 pm »
Hi

Ive of those Abafil Milanese velvet lined coin 'brief' cases - keeps coins in place and is very attractive. Being in Hong Kong though I have to keep case next to the silicia absorbtion packs inside my safe!

;D

Tia - post photo of your private museam please.

Tks
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 12:05:47 am »

Will do, Alex… :)
  I’ll try to get a photo or two tomorrow after I wake.

I’m still able to do it this way – as I yet have fewer than 100 coins in all (76 by exact count).
  For those with several hundred, or thousands – I can see the need for other methods of storing for sure.
  Even pressing closer to 100 now, space begins to become a real problem of interior décor and engineering…

So far so well, tho’!  :)

Best –
   Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 05:01:55 am »
I have probelms occasionally with flips sliding out of albums, or coins out of flips. They're not perfect, but the 2x2's irritate me; I wouldn't want a sheet of plastic forever between me and the coin.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 08:26:17 am »
I have, over the years, used all sorts.

There was an Abafil case with trays inside but as the case held the trays vertical and it got moved around there was abrasion on the high points of some coins.

I did use flips in an album but for the last 17 years I have used mahogany cabinets, now up to number  five (fourteen trays per cabinet, thirty coins per tray). I like them for the look and also the convenience of arrangement of coins.

I also have two Lidner trays for the LRBC I part of my collection.

Mahogany is supposed to be inert, however I have seen concerns over modern mahogany that has not been properly seasoned as potentially causing problems.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 09:25:45 pm »
I file the Saflip flips in 30" long archival storage boxes originally designed for 2X2 mounts of 35mm slides.  A silica gel packet can go at either end and under the lid.  They are extremely sturdy and hold a LOT.  Also they fit in the Box at the Bank, perfectly.  I got them from Adorama in NYC, which advertises in things like Popular Photography.  So far, nearly six years, no problems.  If I needed to send them somewhere else, they could go in these same storage boxes, inside a larger carton, to be sure.
Patricia Lawrence

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 07:09:12 pm »
I use coin boxes from LINDNER. You can stack them and they look nice. It is easy to put the coins or the boxes in another order when needed. Each box has a Silica Gel desiccant on it.

Regards

gang-warily

Re: Prefered Storage Method
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 10:07:45 am »
I started a thread this topic some time ago.  I had my coins in trays and due to space constraints I was considering albums.  I now have my coins in flips in 3 ring binders.
In that earlier discussion, though, somebody (I don't remeber who) made a very valid point which I think is worth repeating :  If, God forbid, your house is ever burgled trays of shiny coins are far more likely to catch a thief's eye than 3-ring binders sitting on a shelf somewhere.   

Retrospectator

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 11:15:38 am »
A little note on silicagel:
The thing about silicagel is that it will soon become useless if your container is not airtight, and will soon require replacing. Some photography shops sell silicagel in sachets which are reusable in so far as you can reheat them on a hot radiator in order to lose the acquired moisture. Blue silicagel turns pink when it has acquired moisture (as does yellow silicagel I think). With most paper sachets of silicagel one cannot see the colour of the gel inside and should therefore assume that it will become useless after perhaps a few weeks - in which case it should be reheated (if the manufacturer says that it is possible to reheat) or replaced. The most effective use of silicagel (longer lasting) is to use it in an air- tight container like a large lunch box - not very nice for displaying coins though, although I believe some museums do use this method for storing rescued ancient metal artifacts and coins.  :)

Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted!

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 08:31:32 am »
Dear Friends

I hate slabbed coins. As soon as I get a slabbed coin, I break it and liberate it from its prison. I dont know, but slabbing coins seems to be pretty popular in the USA, as I see many such coins for offer. It may have its benefits, but I have to be holding the coin in my hands.

I also do not like stapled cardboard flips. I usually destroy them immediately and get the coins out there as well. I cant have that.

I use flips. On every flip (bottom right corner) there is a white sticker on which I my personalised number system. For example GRE0001, or OTT0928. Then I have a list that I update comstantly that explains these numbers with reference and that old chestnut. A full ID. As far as I can get. Each dynasty is organised in a unique fashion. Roman coins are in chronological order, Umayyad coins are ordered according to Jund, Ottoman coins are ordered according to the mint city and so on.

Sounds complicated, but if I need a coin, then I can snap it out easily.

I then use shoe boxes that I devided into sections for empires and order the coins by numbers ie GRE0001, GRE0002 etc.

Shoe boxes are pretty lame and the section deviders are not stable, so I hope to be ordering this one https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/indexfrm.asp?vpar=611&pos=0
soon. I hope it can be shipped to the UK. Such things here are so expensive. This is at a bargain price for me.

I also use a little hand luggage type with velvet trays for my gold coins, again with the same label system, but instead of stickers I use a round card that I write on and put the coin on that.

For proof coins (I dont have many) I use these round plastic holders that you can open and close. Obviously I do not handle them, but I have to have the coins in my hands. Thats the way I enjoy my collection.

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 06:05:00 pm »
A the moment I keep them on velvet under glass but some are hard to see...I am always open to better ways :)

I dont like them hidden away, slabbed, etc...

Offline Ilpo L

• Auxiliary
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 07:52:48 am »
Hello,

I have just started this "hobby". It took some months to solve out how to store my coins. The requirements were that they are easy to look, take into my hand and present to my friends. Of course it also has to be a safe method.

This is my solution and I am quite happy with it. It also looks elegant.

Regards
Ilpo

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 10:39:49 am »
All woods give off vapors of some type, it cannot be stopped, as they are organic. The use of the new water based polyurethanes seems to be the best, and the matte types are virtually invisible after it has dried. Mahogany is very stable, it has a very low shrinkage or expansion rate, so it generally doesn't warp.  Making the drawers is not easy and very time consuming, the basic cabinet is almost easier, and to make then look decent requires a couple days worth of work , if you have all the right tools, and those are not cheap.
  I like the air-tite containers, as the coins are accessible, but are protected from sliding around loose in the trays.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 05:29:02 pm »
i too like to have my coins accesible, and therefore i hate 'slabs'.

i got a good deal on a coin cabinet some years ago, with velvet-lined drawers. but the fact is it's not very convenient in the space i have now, and i don't like the way the coins can move around in their little compartments.

i use flips, but i put the coin in a coin grade poly bag first, which greatly reduces wear from friction. a small slip of index card in the back gives me room for all the information i need, and my catalog lets me expound if necessary.
these are then stored in velvet-lined wooden boxes of my own construction, devided into 2 1/4" compartments.

i am a little concerned about outgassing, but i have seen no ill effects from this in all the time they have been stored this way (about 20 years or so). still, i'm considering re-doing them soon using the same design but with a more inert material.

as temporary caretaker for these beautiful objects i consider it my solemn duty to pass them on as i found them.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 06:56:06 pm »
I can get a very nice deal on a display case. What's this about wood vapours? What will it do to my coins?

Certain woods give off vapors that can over a long enough period, affect the patina, and possibly even cause corrosion.  I beloive that pine and oak may be especially noxious.  That's why most quality cabinets are made of mahogany.  I believe rosewood is also relatively safe.  I'm not sure about any other species.

Offline SVLLAIMP

• Consul
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 11:52:18 am »
I've been trying to come up with a good system.  Right now my coins are in flips, but I am looking box a small wooden box/cabinet that could hold maybe 30-50 coins that is not so absurdly expensive as the ones I can find.  Any suggestions?

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 12:52:20 pm »
I prefer gray 29 x 29 cm plastic trays in boxes ("BEBA" - system), without partitions or sleazes, flips, blisters and all these awful coverings and surroundings some people may add (so not like the fillings of the depicted one).

They are sorted but all together in one big area and i have to take care when i move the tray.

Sometimes i create improvisional partitions by old pencils or flat pieces of wood to separate one or two groups of coins from the rest of the tray.

regards

NervousRex

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 12:47:59 pm »
I have a plastic coin cabinet with 6 trays,4 trays hold 45 coins and 2 trays hold 135 coins.

NervousRex

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 12:49:55 pm »
and a tray with 135 coins.
regards
Robert.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity