Resources > Ancient and Medieval Coin Identification Help

Newbie requesting identification check

(1/1)

Norman F:
The only information I have been given about this coin is that the Emperor is Valens and that the coin is bronze. I estimate that the maximum diameter is 19 mm. and the weight is 2.26 g. My research suggest that the obverse shows the bust diademed, draped and cuirassed and that the reversed shows Victory holding a wreath and palm. The mint mark appears to match Siscia.
I would really appreciate it if you could check / correct the above and provide any additional information in particular the denomination and the inscriptions. My initial research has left me with the impression that the progressive debasement of silver coins makes it difficult to distinguish them from bronze. Another confusing factor is that there appears to be uncertainty regarding what the Romans called some of these coins. It would be helpful if somebody could point me to articles which explain these matters.

Kind regards
Norman

SC:
Norman,

You are right in your identification.  It is a bronze coin of Valens struck at the mint of Siscia.  Reverse type SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE, Securitas standing holding wreath and palm branch.

We don't know what the Romans called their bronze coins at this point (364-378 AD) so they are usually called AE3 which is simply a modern size designation. 

The reverse legend means Security of the Empire.  It was struck from late 364 to 378 AD.  It was one of two types introduced at the same denomination (size and weight standard) - the other type is the GLORIA ROMANORVM Emperor dragging a captive right.  The SECVRITAS type was probably Valens' type though both are found for both Emperors (him and his brother Valentinian I) and later for Valentinian's two sons. 

There were a large number of issue struck at Siscia.  They can be distinguished by the marks in the reverse field as well as the mint mark in the emerge.  Yours has a star over an F in the left field. 

Shawn

Norman F:
Hi Shawn

Thank you for all the information you provided. I am enjoying not only the possession and handling of these coins but also the amount of information I can obtain from them.

Kind regards

Norman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version