Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tyche turreted bust obverse, 20mm, ~5g  (Read 494 times)

Offline EvaJupiterSkies

• Praetorian
Tyche turreted bust obverse, 20mm, ~5g
« on: December 07, 2014, 07:09:50 pm »
From my batch of uncleaned coins, took forever to photograph decently.  I'm feeling pretty good in saying that's a turreted bust of Tyche, but the rest, the reverse in particular is giving me fits.  The reverse here is shown at 90 degrees die axis, which is my honest stab-in-the-dark to try and figure out what's up and down. I think it's a figure standing, but I'm not sure.

Lack of any lettering is also vexing.  I really do like the bust.

20mm is relatively accurate, ~5 grams is called "just found out the kitchen scale doesn't do numbers after the decimal point, so that's all I have at the moment, really".   ::)

I'm going to dive back into acsearch for now, but I've pretty well wandered through their "turreted Tyche AE" listings with no confidence to call an ID whatsoever.  I feel like a lot of this is about acquiring the experience to have a really good eye, and I guess I'll get to that point someday (practice and patience).  For now, if anyone has any thoughts, leads, or vague notions on this coin, I'd appreciate the input greatly.   

Thank you.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Tyche turreted bust obverse, 20mm, ~5g
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 07:17:10 pm »
Maybe a cornucopia on the reverse?  I have a tyche/cornucopia pairing from Phoenicia, Karne, but I suppose that's a fairly common pairing.  Still a starting point.

Offline EvaJupiterSkies

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 07:51:29 pm »
That's further than I've gotten on my own... I will start the cornucopia search!  Thank you for the starting point!

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 07:21:54 am »
No prob. It is the top of the cornucopia I think I see, like here:

Phoenicia, Karne, AE15, 3.85g, 190/89 BC. Obv: Turreted bust of Tyche facing right. Rev: Cornucopiae, Phoenician Qurn to left, Aradian era date 70 (190/89 BC). Dark blue patina, VF. SGII 6029, B.M.C. 26.112,6, Hoover HGC 10, 181 (S).

I do not think yours is a match to mine, however.

Offline EvaJupiterSkies

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:31:15 pm »
Just spent way too long going though about half of the Wildwinds listings... no good match, but I'm starting to think one of the galley prow issues might also be something to look at for this coin.  One of the ones that's just the galley prow with letters, no other figures standing on the galley or anything.  This could, of course, be the mind of someone who has stared at a computer for 13 hours today (thank you, work) rambling nonsensically... 

Does anyone have a good recommendation on how best to search for Greek coins with no lettering on them? (I'll take search tips in general too)  Like I said, I've been pouring over Wildwinds for the past... two or so hours? (okay, work doesn't take ALL the blame) and that's cool and all, but wow... the amount of tabs I had open at once.  Do you pour over pictures looking for leads or vague matches to give you a jumping off point?  Do you start at something like acsearch (I trolled this this other night looking for this coin... many combinations of "Tyche," "turreted," and "bronze") and just type in what you know and go from there?  There's a lot out there to look at, but as someone new to this, that much also can mean it's difficult to know where or how to start.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom, insights, or thunderbolts of inspiration from higher powers as to what you get out of that reverse. I am off to take more Vitamin C, and sleep... I've almost got this cold kicked for good, but I find myself exceptionally more tired the longer it goes on. 

This is Eva, signing off.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity