Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Looking for an Albanian book  (Read 969 times)

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Looking for an Albanian book
« on: December 21, 2021, 12:56:49 pm »
I am searching for a copy of Ceka, Hasan. Probleme të numismatikës ilire. (Tirana: Mihal Duri, 1965).  Actually, I only need a couple of pages from it.  There is a French translation, but it does not include all the information in the Albanian original.  I do have Ceka, Hasan.  Monedhat e Dyrrahut e të Apollonisë. (Tirana: Akademia e shkencave, 2008), but I cannot figure if this is a reprint of the 1965 book.

I realize that the chances of anyone having this book is remote, but thought I would throw out the request anyway.

Mac

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Looking for an Albanian book
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 02:48:44 am »
Did you already try the copy service of libraries? Some are providing scans of some pages of a book for a fee.

Regards

Altamura

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 09:59:23 am »
I have tried multiple libraries with no luck--the book is rare.  They keep on sending me the incomplete French translation, even though I specifically ask them not to do so.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 10:32:51 am »
What pages do you need?  And if you can mention the libraries that have the copy you need (search worldcat.org) I should be able to get a scan using my secret librarian back channels.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 02:18:27 pm »
Here are the results I've found on worldcat. 

https://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=worldcat_org_all&q=Probleme+t%C3%AB+numismatik%C3%ABs+ilire

The 1967 edition says it is in Polish but the title is the same so perhaps they are mistaken.  A few English speaking institutions have that version. 

Either way, if you have the exact page numbers you want iit will be easier to request that way.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 04:56:18 am »

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 11:58:25 am »
Thank you!  A problem remains--I only need a few pages, but since I have not seen the book, I do not know which pages!

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 09:09:30 pm »
This book in the ANS may be a French translation of it, or bound with it?

https://donum.numismatics.org/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=238

Questions de numismatique illyrienne, avec un catalogue des monnaies d'Apollonie et de Durrhachium / [version française par Kolë Luka].
by Ceka, Hasan; Luka, Kolë.

It might be worthwhile to ask David Hill and the ANS for a photo of the table of contents.  I note the ANS doesn't have the title you do have.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 03:59:16 am »
... I only need a few pages, but since I have not seen the book, I do not know which pages! ...
So in fact you need the whole book :-\.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 09:13:07 am »
Thank you!  A problem remains--I only need a few pages, but since I have not seen the book, I do not know which pages!
In that case I would order the one from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.  It says Polish but I believe the title is in Albanian, so that could be a librarian’s cataloguing error that was copied by other librarians (happens all the time).  If you put in the ILL and use a link to that exact copy on Worldcat they can get it.  The Met likely charges but it will only be a small fee of about $20.

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
    • Auction & Provenance Databases
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 10:30:39 am »
I wonder if you can ask members at the Numismatic Bibliomania Society https://www.coinbooks.org/ ?  I only signed up recently (free) but I recall seeing a link they sent in the welcome materials where you could send a message to the entire subscriber list. I really don't know if that's what it's intended for, but it might be worth looking into for this and future literature needs. Anybody tried that kind of inquiry in the past?

Steve
Steve Moulding
New York

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 10:15:57 am »
Thank you all for the information--it gives me something to pursue.

Offline Teutoburgium

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 11:36:28 pm »
Hello,

This book is in Albanian language.
Which pages from book do you need?

Teutoburgium

All coins are guaranteed for eternity