Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bad Strike, Worn dies, or just wear?  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Severus_Alexander

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
  • Hail Hail Severus Alexander!!
Bad Strike, Worn dies, or just wear?
« on: March 29, 2004, 11:17:41 pm »
I was wondering what the best way to distinquish between a poor strike, worn dies, or wear on a coin?  Does a sharply struck obverse with a poorly defined reverse give any clues?   What do you look for?

Thank you.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re:Bad Strike, Worn dies, or just wear?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 04:56:02 pm »
I can't see any way to make sense of the contrast between the sharp obverse and worn reverse on this Postumus except by supposing a worn reverse die. The missing letters on the obverse inscription are presumably down to a blocked die.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 11:12:19 am »
     The three phenomena are fundamentally different, so easy to distinguish.
      DIE WEAR affects the sharpness of every detail of types and lettering, and is usually like a fog rising from the surface of the coin, blurring the lines where types and letters meet the surface but allowing the higher relief to stay fairly clear.  The rev. of Robert's Postumus ant. is a good example.
       COIN WEAR is pretty much the opposite:  it immediately affects all of the HIGHEST points of the design and legend, but leaves the coin surface and the less raised parts of the types virtually intact.  If the die was in good condition, the lines where types and legends meet the surface will still be sharp even on a worn coin.
       WEAK STRIKE means the dies were not hammered hard enough to force metal into the deepest recesses of the types and legends.  Usually it affects only one edge of the coin, so will be revealed by the contrast between the weakness there and the sharpness everywhere else.  Moreover weak strike must inevitably affect the same area of the flan on BOTH SIDES of the coin.
Curtis Clay

sid

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 11:09:17 am »
So is this just an extreme example of a weak strike, or is there another explanation? One half of the coin is very sharp, the other half is completely blank. What makes me curious is that the flan is perfectly round on the good side, and stretched out on the bad side. Perhaps it was hammered flat, and thus stretched, after it was minted?

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 11:36:19 am »
Classic example of a bad strike.  The strike was not aligned properly so one edge is sharp and the other flat.
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 11:30:24 am »
So this coin is due to wear? I thought that this might have been done with water wear, one drip at a time on the Saint George face. The other side seems perfect.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 01:31:51 pm »
There is another form of weak strike I see fairly often, when the force hasn't quite been enough to fill the dies. One face will be well struck, the other will have a flat area in the middle somewhere, in the area where the relief is highest.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 05:35:52 pm »
    The weakly struck face on the rev. corresponds to the weakly struck bust details on the obverse at 6-8 o'cl.: these two areas of the designs must lie directly opposite one another, separated only by the thickness of the flan, on the two faces of the coin.
     In contrast the sharply struck face on the obv. corresponds to the sharply struck bust detail on the reverse, for the same reason:  that edge of the flan was more forcefully struck.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity