Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Best of Type Gallery  (Read 38802 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Best of Type Gallery
« on: May 21, 2011, 08:22:34 am »
I would like to generate a bit more interest and activity in the best of type gallery.  The coin of the day thread is popular and my original idea for the best of type gallery was to create that sort of sharing and fun.  I would like to spice it up a bit.  Some ideas:

Add a best of type discussion board instead of the single generic Members' Gallery board. 

A monthly review which deletes any coin with a rating below 4.1 with more than 10 votes and any coin which is the same type as another with a lower score. 

Encouraging people to post challenges (my coin is better) and advertise them on the discussion board.

Anyone like the ideas?  Other ideas?

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Best of Type Gallery
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 08:47:10 am »
I think that's a great idea.  It's what I thought that gallery should be when reading the description.  Who would do the editing and deleting of the ones that get bumped?

I think it may need sub galleries within the gallery because each page has different era of coins on it and makes it hard to find the coin you want to beat!  So perhaps "Republican" "1st Century" "Adoptive"...

I also wish you could place the same coin file picture into multiple galleries and keep the comments and ratings.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 08:54:22 am »
I wish you could place the same coin file picture into multiple galleries and keep the comments and ratings.

I agree.  That and deleting a picture to upload a new one without deleting the entire file, etc.  That way you could update your pictures.

There is also a bug sometimes.  When you post in a gallery they don't show up right, etc.  Right now I posted a coin in the portrait gallery, and it shows up there and in my gallery a second time.  Haven't decided how to remove it yet.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 09:30:31 am »
The Forum staff would do the monthly review (probably me).

I think sub-galleries would be too complex but will think about it.  Coins are in order by title, it isn't really that hard to find them. 

I also, wish it was possible and easy to put coins in multiple galleries with shared comments and rating.  I also wish it was possible for users to replace pics.  Unfortunately, the gallery software is off-the-shelf and has limited features.  We just use it.  It isn't all I would like it to be but overall, it works well.  There are some updates that may fix or improve things.  We will be implementing those in the next few months.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 09:39:22 am »
I like the idea Joe, but the rating system is tough. I have a couple hundred coins in my gallery, including a few that are not only very good looking and rarish, but the only coins of the type here and I don't have a single coin with a posted rating. Maybe my coins suck and don't deserve rating, but I also know that I have looked at hundreds of other peoples coins and have never given them a rating either. *edit - I know that some people do post ratings, but on the whole I think it would be tough to get everyone browsing the gallery to give a rating.

I have the semblance of an idea though. I see somthing like the website award committee being set up and people submitting gallery links to either their own coin or another members coins. The committee then divys up the submissions (weekly, monthly, ongoing?), searches for similar coins (in the FORVM gallery, not on wildwinds or similar), and if in fact the coin submitted is "BoT" then it is included in the gallery. If not, the coin found that is better is submitted in it's place.

That is my rough idea. Not only will it fill the BoT gallery, it would also be accurate. As a side benefit, the committee would gain more familiarity with various coin types. This could also be extended to the portrait gallery, etc. as a sub set.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 09:51:22 am »
Please, not another committee! I think having a thread and voting for one of a number of user-submitted coins would create some competition. There'd have to be a definition of type, e.g. I think all camp gates, no matter the ruler, legends etc. are one type, I know some people think an extra star or dot or an open door makes it a different type.

I could easily add 50 coins to BOT, because they'd be the only ones in there and 'best', no matter their condition, so this would only create competition for the most common types.
Andreas Reich

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 10:02:41 am »
I'm not talking about members voting. I am not talking about visible submissions either. I was thinking more of a pm or email to the committee behind the scene. Web sites can be subjective and require member votes, but a torn up Arles campgate vs a clean easily read campgate of the same type would be pretty easy to identify. This could/would be a monstorous undertaking, but when finished, could/would rival wildwinds (sorry Dane) or acsearch (sorry Lars). We have all said in the past (especially when wildwinds is down) that it would be great to use the forvm gallery to it's fullest, we now have the chance. These coins could be fully documented/attributed and properly posted in a similar format. One more step closer to FORVM being a one stop shop.

Or my idea could be too grand.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 10:20:04 am »
...but when finished, could/would rival wildwinds (sorry Dane) or acsearch (sorry Lars)...

It has always been my intent that the Members' Gallery should become a great attribution resource.  I am a firm believer in wiki (not some kind of witchcraft, wiki, like wikipedia :) ).  The disorganized contributions of the many will eventually have a result better than the organized contributions of the few.  I sometimes use Google to search for a type and sometimes a Members' Gallery entry pops up and has far better info than any other site.  There is no finished and it slowly but certainly gets better everyday.  I don't think we need a formal organization or even big changes. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 10:20:34 am »
If you're going to do it at all, do it by voting, not some monstrous intransparent comittee. Make a thread, have people submit their own coins of a certain, defined type if they think they stand a chance and let people vote. I don't think too many peple would submit crappy coins that will never win anyway. I doubt there'd be more people voting than for the web site awards though but maybe there would be, because there'd be actual competition.
Andreas Reich

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 10:32:15 am »
We actually had a few Best of Type votes back when the gallery first started, but we have forgotten about it and lost momentum. 

...There'd have to be a definition of type, e.g. I think all camp gates, no matter the ruler, legends etc. are one type, I know some people think an extra star or dot or an open door makes it a different type.

We already have a rule for the definition.  If you describe your coin as a Constantine campgate, it will be deleted unless it is the best Constantine campgate.  If you describe it as Constantine campgate, RIC 512, it will be deleted unless it is the best Constantine campgate, RIC 512.  My "secret" purpose for this rule to encourage more complete attributions. 

I could easily add 50 coins to BOT, because they'd be the only ones in there and 'best', no matter their condition, so this would only create competition for the most common types.

Go ahead and do it!  The purpose of the minimum rating is, however to get rid of some the not so nice coins.  The Best of Type Gallery should be filled mostly with only impressive coins.  Hopefully, people are smart enough (I think they are) to consider rarity when they rate coins.

I don't think there is anything terribly wrong with how the Best of Type gallery is working now, I just hope to make it more active and fun.   
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 10:42:05 am »
There were a few people who went through the BoT section giving out 0 star ratings, seemingly out of malice. This could be seen when after five votes a coin dropped from 5 stars to 4 in a single turn. I am hoping that those days have gone!
Martin

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 03:48:58 pm »
I know for myself, that before I post to BOT, I check to make sure there isn't a better example already posted.

One question for Joe

When I sell a coin, should I remove it from BOT?  I have done so in the past. I do this to avoid a situation where the coin is posted twice by successive owners. For instance, there is a highly rated Lysi tet that AlexB owned and is now owned by Jochen. The coin is now double posted and both are sitting near the top of the voting (although AlexB is in BOT and Jochen is in a personal gallery.)

However, I have removed a few stellar examples that were not purchased by a Forum member and thus disappear forever from the BOT gallery.

BR

Mark

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 02:30:44 am »
I am a little confused about the rules of the BoT game.  Are we to post them in the BoT gallery and await votes, or move them from our Personal Gallery into the BoT gallery after the coin receives suitable votes and comments/accolades sufficient to warrant a potential BoT categorization?  i.e is it about wannabees, or those that have stood the test of scrutiny in a personal gallery?

I am not inclined to deplete my Personal Gallery by moving highly rated coins to the BoT Gallery. So do I then double post them in the BoT gallery and if so how are prior votes and comments received in the Personal Gallery listing recorded in the BoT listing?  

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 02:49:24 am »
I think the Best of Type gallery should be wiped and started anew.  That would make it easier to judge multiple examples of each type as they are submitted, and also to chat about new additions and if they qualify for the gallery.  I have a couple examples in the BoT gallery right now and wouldn't mind re-submitting them, what do others think about this idea?
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 06:40:42 am »
...When I sell a coin, should I remove it from BOT?...

Please, NOOOOOOOOOO.   
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 06:47:40 am »
Don't move your coins to Best of Type, make a duplicate completely separate entry. 

I am not going to wipe out the BOT gallery and start over.  The idea is to grow the gallery, not shrink it.   
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 12:39:32 pm »

I am not going to wipe out the BOT gallery and start over.  

Joe, you pre-empted my reply to mihali84's post. ;D   There are far too many beautiful coins in the current BOT gallery which would be irreplaceably lost if the gallery was deleted.

Alex.

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 01:45:31 pm »
Ok guys forgive me it was really late when i posted that  ;D  I agree though, there are a lot of great coins in there and i guess it would be a shame that some would probably not make it back in there. 

So where, how, and when should the screening process occur?  Should it be up to us to bring up a certain type, show the duplicates of the same type, and judge which stays and goes? or is that up to the moderators to decide?? 

A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 07:47:52 pm »

Please, NOOOOOOOOOO.   

If ownership is not one of the criteria for posting in the BoT gallery and we are looking for the best of type, why wouldn't someone just post coins from scans of the absolute best of any type to be found in museum files (eg BM online coin database), catalogs, acsearch or other online coin databases, etc? 

There are many coins in the BoT gallery that I have noted better examples of in various catalogs and databases, which could be uploaded to the BoT gallery if absolute BoT regardless of ownership/source is the ultimate objective. A few of those already in the gallery may fall into this category.

Is it best of type in a Forvm members collection, or absolute best of type regardless of ownership in which case open slather search of old catalogs and databases would yield the best outcome most efficiently? 

Or is it that the coin should simply have passed through the hands of the poster, even for a few seconds, to be posted in the BoT gallery.  In  which case any intermediary engaged by a clientele of anonymous deep pocketed collectors would be in the best position to  populate the gallery.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 02:35:40 am »

Please, NOOOOOOOOOO.   

If ownership is not one of the criteria for posting in the BoT gallery and we are looking for the best of type, why wouldn't someone just post coins from scans of the absolute best of any type to be found in museum files (eg BM online coin database), catalogs, acsearch or other online coin databases, etc? 

There are many coins in the BoT gallery that I have noted better examples of in various catalogs and databases, which could be uploaded to the BoT gallery if absolute BoT regardless of ownership/source is the ultimate objective. A few of those already in the gallery may fall into this category.

Is it best of type in a Forvm members collection, or absolute best of type regardless of ownership in which case open slather search of old catalogs and databases would yield the best outcome most efficiently? 

Or is it that the coin should simply have passed through the hands of the poster, even for a few seconds, to be posted in the BoT gallery.  In  which case any intermediary engaged by a clientele of anonymous deep pocketed collectors would be in the best position to  populate the gallery.

Ownership of the coin is not a rule.  But I don't imagine there is a lot of motivation to post photos of coins from old catalogs or databases.  I also don't want people posting photos if someone else might complain they don't have permission to use them.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 02:42:27 am »
Ok guys forgive me it was really late when i posted that  ;D  I agree though, there are a lot of great coins in there and i guess it would be a shame that some would probably not make it back in there. 

So where, how, and when should the screening process occur?  Should it be up to us to bring up a certain type, show the duplicates of the same type, and judge which stays and goes? or is that up to the moderators to decide?? 

Voting is never ending, just rate the coins. 

I encourage make posts that identify duplicates and encourage people to vote (rate the coins).

Periodically I check the ratings.  If I see a coin with more than 10 votes and a rating of 4.0 or less, I will delete it.  Anytime I see a coin with a challenger, and both have 10 votes or more, I will delete the lower rated coin.  If I see that there is an active challenge going on I might wait a few days for more ratings to come in.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 02:56:07 am »
I would like to generate a bit more interest and activity in the best of type gallery.  

As requested I've added a bunch of worthwhile Greek candidates to try and liven things up... plenty for discussion and a few challenges now in place.... just a pity I couldn't bring over the votes and comments from the personal gallery.  I'll add a few exotics and oddball BoT's in coming days.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 03:18:28 am »
As someone said before, there are a bunch of people rating coins down. I have a special friend that rated all of my coins 0 stars until I disabled it. I think he's still going at it in my folder of sold coins.  ;D Apart from a few malicious comments in the user gallery that are now deleted (I think by answering one I aquired this special friend) he has never posted anything. Can voting in the galleries be restricted like the sending of Private messages? Or is there another way to filter out the zeros, at least in the BOT gallery?
Andreas Reich

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 03:24:22 am »
As someone said before, there are a bunch of people rating coins down. I have a special friend that rated all of my coins 0 stars until I disabled it. I think he's still going at it in my folder of sold coins.  ;D Apart from a few malicious comments in the user gallery that are now deleted (I think by answering one I aquired this special friend) he has never posted anything. Can voting in the galleries be restricted like the sending of Private messages? Or is there another way to filter out the zeros, at least in the BOT gallery?

Good point. Many coins in the BoT gallery have less than a handful of votes, so that a single zero vote can have a material impact on the rating, sufficient to drop it below Joe's termination threshold. Even with ten votes at 5 a single zero vote drops the average perilously close to the coin getting the axe. I'm waiting for the voting daggers to come out.  Bring it on.  Its all good fun as long as we don't take it too seriously and Joe exercises the discretion of his eye, rather than relying simply on the scoring averages when it comes to hitting the delete button, which I am sure he will. :evil:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity