Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aureus Victorinus is missing in WildWinds  (Read 955 times)

Anton C

Aureus Victorinus is missing in WildWinds
« on: October 31, 2021, 05:35:02 am »
Hi all,
I'm researching aurei and solidi found in The Netherlands.
A recent find (fragment only unfortunately) turned out to be a very unusual aureus from Victorinus. It's this type (not the one on the photo):
https://coins.ha.com/itm/ancients/roman-imperial/ancients-victorinus-ad-269-271-av-aureus-20mm-510-gm-12h-ngc-xf-and-9733-5-5-4-5-fine-style/a/3071-34117.s

I just checked on Wildwinds (http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/victorinus/t.html), but couldn't find it there. Maybe it can be added? Not sure how that works though.
Best wishes from The Netherlands!

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Aureus Victorinus is missing in WildWinds
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 06:25:19 am »
Welcome to FORVM Anton. As you certainly noticed, on wildwinds many RIC numbers are skipped and missing. And I have to admit that RIC is completely obselete fot the Gallic Empire coinage. So dozens of coins could be added to the Victorinus' list.
DT

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 06:48:40 am »
Another example in Berlin

https://ikmk.smb.museum/object?id=18241988

several references given in the link

about wildwinds: Dane Kurth aka helvetica is a member here

Anton C

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 11:20:41 am »
Many thanks Dominic and Ralf,
attached the fragment.
Interesting to see it's a rare aureus. I see in OCRE the coins from Victorinus are attributed to a 'Southern Gallic mint' (see: http://numismatics.org/ocre/results?q=mint_facet%3A%22Southern%20Gallic%20Mint%22), but a study by Drinkwater in 1987 makes clear most coins are minted in Cologne and possibly some in Trier. See: http://www.roman-emperors.org/victorin.htm. I guess this new Dutch coin find points to Cologne/Trier as well.

I've contacted Dane in the past (about the great excel lists), but it has been several years. Good to hear from her again.

Anton C

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 11:22:29 am »
Hm, how to resize the coin images?

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 12:13:12 pm »
I can certainly add the Heritage Auctions one, (I have permission from 99% of sellers and auction houses)..
I think it would be an impossible task to add every known imperial coin to wildwinds, for one thing the server space required would probably double the server costs, which I am already struggling to cover. I have managed to save some space to add different coins by deleting a lot of the superfluous examples (e.g. "21 examples" on some early emperor pages), as most of the examples were from the late 1990s and tiny or illegible or incorrect.

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 12:34:57 pm »
Ever thought of staging a crowdfunding with those various numismatic forums?
I suppose you know them all
Perhaps some national or internationsl dealerĀ“s associations might help, too.

Regards
Klaus

Anton C

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 12:39:19 pm »
I can certainly add the Heritage Auctions one, (I have permission from 99% of sellers and auction houses)..
I think it would be an impossible task to add every known imperial coin to wildwinds, for one thing the server space required would probably double the server costs, which I am already struggling to cover. I have managed to save some space to add different coins by deleting a lot of the superfluous examples (e.g. "21 examples" on some early emperor pages), as most of the examples were from the late 1990s and tiny or illegible or incorrect.

Thank you for your reply Dane! I can imagine the question was easier than the answer. Just know I'm very happy with Wildwinds:)

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 01:41:57 pm »

What I appreciate with your site is: the coins shown there are the most common ones, the examples the average collector will have and wll make research about. I don't care at all if some super rare coins are missing since I won't ever own them in my collection !
DT

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 07:48:22 am »
Just a reminder. FORVM provides free hosting. I realize this might not work for wildwinds because it would have to be under the forumancientcoins.com URL. But for others looking to create ancient coin, medieval coin, antiquities, or history websites, we can help.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline tetrico

• Consul
  • Caius Pius Esuvius Tetricus - Princeps Iuventutis
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 07:24:42 am »
RIC is not a good and complete references catalogue for the Gallic coinage.
You should use Mairat work, a very good and free book (and catalogue).
Here the link: https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:58eb4e43-a6d5-4e93-adeb-f374b9749a7f

Anton C

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 09:20:46 am »
RIC is not a good and complete references catalogue for the Gallic coinage.
You should use Mairat work, a very good and free book (and catalogue).
Here the link: https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:58eb4e43-a6d5-4e93-adeb-f374b9749a7f

Wow, many, many thanks Tetrico!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity