Antiquities Discussion Forums > Ancient and Medieval Finger Rings

Ancient Roman ring - Looking for any additional info

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jj W:

--- Quote from: nikopolis1 on October 11, 2021, 02:15:16 pm ---This rings with dots usually are surfacing on late roman sites, but same decoration seems that has been used on some medieval rings as well. To be really sure you have to know what coins are coming out where it has been found.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for that reply!  So the coins that came up with it were from around the year 240-250 (Gordinian III and Philip I).  I bought a few.

What can you tell me about the dots?

Joe Sermarini:
The dots were probably just a decorative style.  If they had further meaning, I doubt we know it today.

nikopolis1:
Nobody really knows about the dots. Probably decorative style. This dots are appearing not only on the rings, but on all kinds of other artefacts-strap ends, fibulas... etc and not just from roman era but from pre-roman era as well. I speak about the Balkans, in other areas of the empire dont know if this dots are appearing. Some say this dots represent protection from"evil eyes"but I have never seen publications on the subject. What I notice - they very often form geometric figures or animals. On your ring they are like cross for example, i have seen triangles, squares, circles

Ron C2:
I think it's very likely they were just decoration that someone found pleasing to the eye.

SC:
There is some indication that they originally represented eyes - back on Bronze Age items.  But by the Roman and medieval eras they were just a widely used decoration type.

SC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version