Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Going to Northern Italy August 3 - 17  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Going to Northern Italy August 3 - 17
« on: July 30, 2021, 04:40:10 pm »
My oldest daughter, Allison, is marrying a nice Italian boy, Nico, so Rose and I are off to Italy for the wedding. We will be in..
Bologna 4 - 9 August
Venice 9 - 11 August
Verona 11 - 14 August
Milan 14 - 17 August

If you will be in any of those places at those times, maybe we can get together for a coffee or a beer.  Let me know.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Going to Northern Italy August 3 - 17
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 06:05:19 pm »
Congratulations Joe!  That's awesome!

I was supposed to be there last year to check out our renovation on the house but...you know.  Won't make it there this year either.

Have a great time at the wedding, and I know you're Italian but remember...cash! ;D

https://youtu.be/ZWOJVdweZJ4

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 06:27:36 pm »
Of course we are giving them cash. She isn't just marrying an Italian. She was born one too. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 06:42:34 pm »
Congratulations, Joe!

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 07:14:02 pm »
Congraultations!

If I still lived in Vienna I would drive down just to see you.

If you get a chance you should go see Aquileia.  Small town, but has a fabulous Roman museum.  It is about 45 minutes east of Venice, just south of where the E55 heads north of the E70 towards Udine.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 07:45:19 pm »
Congrats! Wish I could be there for a coffee, beer or wine. Enjoy.
Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 07:54:50 pm »
If you get a chance you should go see Aquileia.  Small town, but has a fabulous Roman museum.  It is about 45 minutes east of Venice, just south of where the E55 heads north of the E70 towards Udine.

It seems I will be spending time in Italy frequently for years to come. Aquileia will have to be next time. Next trip I will rent a car and go down the Adriatic coast. My father's family is from Marche and I look forward to exploring the towns on the family tree.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 08:12:36 pm »
Hi Joe:
I’m sure it will be heartwarming and fulfilling. Enjoy!!!
Years ago, I visited both my mother’s and my father’s villages in the Peloponnesus. They were 7 miles apart, but they didn’t meet and marry until they were in Chicago.
How’s that for a coincidence?
PeteB

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 09:03:17 pm »
Same for may grandfather and grandmother. They were from towns not far apart, but met and married in Philadelphia.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 09:19:09 pm »
Hi Joe,

Congratulations! :)

Italy is beautiful. I was there once, in 1985, when I was 17 years old. It was my senior year of high school. The trip was organized by the priests at my Catholic high school.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 09:39:48 pm »
Same for may grandfather and grandmother. They were from towns not far apart, but met and married in Philadelphia.

Hi folks,

The same is true for both sets of my grandparents.

My paternal grandparents were first cousins. But they never met until decades after birth. My paternal grandfather was born and raised in a small village (Fontanigorda) up in the mountains outside of Genoa, Italy. My paternal grandmother was born and raised here in America. Her parents (my great grandparents) came from a village (Loco di Rovegno) that was right down the road from my grandfather's village. My grandmother's family took a trip to Italy. She met my grandfather (who was her first cousin), and they fell in love. My paternal grandfather's mother-in-law and father-in-law were also his aunt and uncle.

My maternal grandparents were both born and raised in the same town (Maddaloni) outside of Naples, Italy. However, they didn't meet and fall in love until they lived here in America. The fact that they lived on the same block here in America facilitated them meeting and falling in love.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 10:05:32 am »
It seems likely that people from the same area tended to settle close to each other here in the US.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 02:52:23 pm »
Congratulations, Joe,  +++

Spend a pleasant time in those beautiful places. ;) +++
Take care of your health, unfortunately, the Virus is attacking again ... >:(
Be safe. +++

Regards

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 04:53:56 pm »
Verona has a spectacular amphitheatre you need to see, and of course go to sait Mark's Square in Venice. I highly recommend touring inside the cathedral, the ceilings alone are worth it.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 07:21:12 pm »
Regarding Venice and it probably isn't possible in August, but check on cruise ship schedules as they have ruined Venice during the day, especially St Mark's Square and the Cathedral. Get there as early as possible or you will be in line all day. Or just go to outlying parts away from the tourist hub. In the evening, people go back to their ships and the city clears out a lot. August, of course, is the main tourist season in Europe.

Enjoy,
Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 09:43:04 pm »
Thanks for all the congrats and well wishes.

Of course we are vaccinated. We have N95 masks for the planes and trains. I am a little worried but there really is no end in site for this virus and life must go on.

August wasn't my choice. It is when the kids decided they would get married. I suspect the crowds will be smaller than usual due to COVID. I am not sure cruises are running at all now.

Normally, our trips to Europe have been about seeing as much as possible in the time available. This trip (and for all future trips) we intend a leisurely pace. In all four cities, we have centrally located hotels, walking distance to most of the sites.

Our time in Bologna will mostly be spent with my daughter and her fiance and his family. Rose and I spent one day in Bologna before. It is a very nice city, much more about food and education than tourism. I have already identified a few sites, the best coffee shops, and a few restaurants (mostly lunch places). We may take a day trip to Ravenna.

I have been to Venice four times before and I know it pretty well. We are not going to be stuck in lines or rush around. Depending on lines, we may not go inside any of the sites. If the line for the cathedral is short we might go in. Mostly we just plan to enjoy walking and riding the water buses. It is a short stay there this time. 

I have never been to Verona, so I am looking forward seeing the arena and other sites. We are going to take a bike tour the second day. I have already identified all the sites we plan to see, and a bunch of restaurants, and all are less than a 15 minute walk from the hotel.

In Milan our hotel is right by the Duomo, and again, mostly the plan is just walk around leisurely. I haven't been to Milan for more than 30 years, but I remember it fondly. We will go in the Duomo and take the elevator up to the roof. We might go see the last supper, but I am not going to pay hundreds of dollars for a skip the line tour (crazy prices online for this).

They have an on-off bus in Milan. I find these useful for the first day or two in most cities. But for Milan, opinions online vary greatly. If anyone has used it in Milan and thinks it is either worthwhile or not, please let me know.

My phone, text, and email will be working while I am in Italy.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 05:24:01 am »
It seems likely that people from the same area tended to settle close to each other here in the US.

Hi Joe,

Generally speaking, that is so true.

More specifically, regarding my maternal grandparents, it was very true. Additionally, in their case, their was also an "exclusivity factor". About 60-100 years ago, everyone who lived within a 2-3 block radius here in America came from the same town (Maddaloni) in Italy. There wasn't one person who lived on those 2-3 blocks who DIDN'T come from Maddaloni. And everyone was related somehow.

When my father first started dating my mother in circa 1961, she introduced him to all of her neighbors, who were also her relatives (cousins, etc.). He lost track of who was who, and he just started waving to everyone, not knowing who they were. He just knew that everyone who lived in that neighborhood was one of my mother's relatives.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 07:41:33 am »
Interesting Meepzorp.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 10:03:50 am »
I always hit the local museums, which are often very good.  Though also often closed for no explicable reason - especially in summer.

The one in Bologna - right off the main square - is fabulous.  One of the best collections of bronze age Italian artifacts anywhere due to the presence nearby of the main Villanovan cemetery.  Bologna is fabulous.  A short walk through the university - also just off the main square is worth it.  U di Bologna - established 1088 AD. 

The Roman museum in Verona is smaller but also good - fabulous walls and remains and view of the city.  But it is a slight walk away and across the river from the center where the famous Romeo and Juliet House is and is the opposite side of the city from the amphitheater.  It is worth it though if you have the time.

One last tip if you haven't travelled far during Covid - take a few of spare masks for the flight or any long train ride.  Being able to switch every few hours helps.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2021, 05:49:01 pm »
Thanks for the tips Shawn.

I will definitely checkout those two museums. I should have plenty of time. Only Venice will be a bit rushed.

Extra masks. Good idea. I wore an N95 for the first time today. Not too horrible, but it will be uncomfortable after many hours in transit.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 06:05:09 pm »
Joe,
I keep forgetting how Covid has changed things, especially on the cruise ship thing. Sounds like you will have a great trip no matter what. Have fun.
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity