Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Athens Owl Head to Head. [Competition ended, winner declared]  (Read 1756 times)

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Here we have two Athenian Tetradrachms in competition. Both of the coins have been attributed as Sear 2526.

CAST YOUR VOTE BY CLICKING ON BOTH COINS AND RATING EACH ONE

Anonymous 1

Anonymous 2

This contest ended on the 29th of July.

Please note that the names of persons who have uploaded coins to the BOT gallery but are no longer members of FORVM are no longer being displayed. Their coins will however remain in the gallery, and from now on any such coin which is involved in a head to head contest will simply appear here as "Anonymous". That is the case with this head to head contest.

Thank-you for visiting.

*Alex

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Athens Owl Head to Head. [Competition ended, winner declared]
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 10:47:45 pm »
Two things. One is how do we vote? This head to head thing has always confused me.
Two, why use a coin someone uploaded that is no longer on the board for whatever reason and remove their name? If you want to remove their name, you should also remove their coins. I think about these things. If I ever create a gallery and I die, I think I would still want to have my name associated with the coins I uploaded. But, in any case, despite whatever the user agreement is, using a coin without attribution is still wrong. Maybe just don't pick coins like this for the contest.

Virgil

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 12:32:33 am »
You can vote by rating the coin, which is an option in the gallery entry.

The galleries here, when they are accurate and thoughtfully created, provide a great resource.
The names aren't there anymore because the former members have, for whatever reasons, deleted their accounts. Every member has the option to remove their coins or even delete their entire gallery. Apparently these coins were not deleted.

~ Peter

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 06:42:59 am »
Two things. One is how do we vote? This head to head thing has always confused me.
Two, why use a coin someone uploaded that is no longer on the board for whatever reason and remove their name? If you want to remove their name, you should also remove their coins. I think about these things. If I ever create a gallery and I die, I think I would still want to have my name associated with the coins I uploaded. But, in any case, despite whatever the user agreement is, using a coin without attribution is still wrong. Maybe just don't pick coins like this for the contest.

Virgil

Hi Virgil,

To further answer your questions.

I understand your confusion in the voting system we use but I think that Enodia has explained it. If you do decide to vote please rate both coins. We would like people to rate the coins in the BOT gallery at any time. The head to heads use the rating system rather than a plain poll because it is a way to allow members a say in which coins are removed from the BOT in the case of duplicates. Prior to the head to heads FORVM staff simply removed the coin they liked the least, this way everyone can get involved in a fun way if they want to.

If you die and you have created your own gallery your name will still be associated with your coins. If you look in the Members' gallery you will see that several deceased members still have coins there. Some of these coins are outstanding and it would be a loss to FORVM if they were arbitrarily removed. Look at benito's coins for example and you will see what I mean.

The names have only been removed from coins in the Theme gallery section and they do not require the attribution of a name of someone who, for whatever reason, no longer wishes to remain a member of FORVM. This can also allow the defunct name to become available as an option to new members joining FORVM.

Finally, if someone uploads a coin into the BOT gallery and it would be in contention with an anonymous coin, to go along with your view would leave me with only two options - removing a coin from the gallery simply because it was challenged, even though it might be the better coin or leaving it sitting in the gallery defeating the point of the head to heads in removing duplicates.
I am not going to do either of those things and I hope I have explained my reasons for that.

Alex

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 07:06:13 am »

Two, why use a coin someone uploaded that is no longer on the board for whatever reason and remove their name?

Prior to the head to heads FORVM staff simply removed the coin they liked the least, this way everyone can get involved in a fun way if they want to.

To vote, click the coins in the post above. They link to the same coins in the gallery. In the gallery, on each of the two coins, select the number of stars (1-5) you rank the coin.

Very few members actually delete their account. Accounts are deleted when the email on the account bounces more than three times over several months. If they are an active member we will wait a long time to delete the account and we may try to find out why their email is bouncing. The member may no longer be active in the hobby or they may no longer be alive. If we do learn they are deceased, we make post to inform our members and preserve their account. We assume they still want to share their best of type coins.

The staff never randomly picked BOT coins to remove. It was just me and I always used the member rankings with the stars. I just didn't announce BOT competitions. The "Head to Head" competitions require work. I never had time. Thanks *Alex for running the competitions and BOT gallery. I think the contests make it more fun. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 10:02:06 pm »
Joe,
Thanks for the explanation. I guess my thought on the anonymous thing is if their coin is good enough to use, so should their name. I agree this is a fun contest.

Virgil

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 10:30:31 am »
This Contest is now over and "Anonymous 1" is the winner.

I have moved "Anonymous 2" to the "Coins from Members' Personal Ancient Coin Galleries" gallery.

Although votes cast after the closing date are not counted as far as the head to head contests are concerned, please feel free to rate any of the coins in the "Best of Type" gallery at any time.

Thank-you to everyone who took part in this contest, your participation is much appreciated.

*Alex

All coins are guaranteed for eternity