Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Woytek's new catalogue of the Roman imperial coins of Trajan  (Read 5635 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Woytek's new catalogue of the Roman imperial coins of Trajan
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:40:33 pm »
Instead of paper offprints, I have been given the link below to a digital reproduction of my review article on Woytek's book on Trajan. The review is perhaps too long (16 pages) to be reproduced in full in a Forvm thread.

The review contains the first academic publication of several discoveries that I have already explained on Forvm, namely my own discovery that the second-cent. Roman mint regularly produced ordinary asses in addition to bronze medallions late in each year for use as New Year's gifts on 1 January, and Colin Kraay's ingenious explanation of the phenomenon of overstruck reverse types on Roman coins. I mention in my review that my discovery of New Year's asses has already been presented on Forvm!

NC172_Offprint_211100_Review_Article_Clay
Curtis Clay

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Woytek's new catalogue of the Roman imperial coins of Trajan
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 04:55:12 am »

One word of warning: don't let your silver coins touch
the paper of the plates. They leave nasty marks on
chalky paper.

Pekka K

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 10:57:41 am »
I would contend that arrangement by denomination, as practised for example by
MacDowall in his monograph on the coinage of Nero, is the correct route to the
desired goal. It is essential to group like with like. When we try to establish the
original order of types in a particular denomination, we want to examine only that
denomination, not what the mint might have been producing at the same time in other
denominations
I thoroughly agree - one of the most annoying books I often need to use is Svoronos' coinage of the Ptolemies. It has the most muddled arrangement of any book I know. In second place of the muddled stakes is Price, Coinage of Alexander III which also, under the various mints, mixes gold staters, tetradrachms, drachms, AE etc together according to fieldmarks.
I also contributed a couple of the new entries in Woytek's book, these had been sent to me for wildwinds and I sent them to Woytek. In order to check the existence of a second example of one of them, I flew to Chester Museum in England, to see one purporting to have been donated to that museum in the early 1800s. Alas, it was not the same coin (but I had a lovely time down in the coin vault with the curator [no, not THAT kind of a lovely time  :D])

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:38:31 am »
Curtis,

Thank you very much for sharing your article offprint with us.  It is especially useful for those of us who bought the Woytek set despite having very limited German.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Paddy

• Consul
  • Marcus Ulpius Traianus Maior
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 04:01:37 pm »
Great, great stuff, Curtis Clay! Now that I have had Wotek for about a week, your review will be of great use! Indeed!

Anton C

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 06:04:00 pm »
'Fiscal metallism'
https://www.academia.edu/6772333/B._Woytek_Die_M%C3%BCnzpr%C3%A4gung_des_Kaisers_Traianus._MIR_14_2010_

Would be so nice if this book was in PDF-format...!

Anton C

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 04:04:25 am »
For those who can say they are the proud owners of the book of Woytek I have a question. Last week this aureus is found in the province of Limburg in The Netherlands. I'm registering this coin in the national finds database PAN (https://www.portable-antiquities.nl/pan/#/public). It's RIC 37, struck in 100 under Trajan. This coin type is struck in both gold as silver. What's perhaps interesting is that the letters on the reverse are also above the head of Hercules. Online I can't find any corresponding example for the aurei, only for denarii. I guess the same dies where used for both metals. Does this make it a variant and/or does Woytek says anything about this?
Thank you!

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 05:59:05 am »

Woytek lists this aureus as 72c.

Pekka K

Anton C

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 06:02:48 am »

Woytek lists this aureus as 72c.

Pekka K

Many thanks for your quick reply! I'll make sure to take up this reference.  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity