Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An Axe to Grind  (Read 947 times)

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
An Axe to Grind
« on: May 29, 2012, 03:42:05 am »
        I while back, i was experimenting with uncleaned lots on Ebay. Since i was experimenting, I didn't want to drop too much money on any one lot. I found one that advertized a silver coin with every 10 coins and gold clad with every 30. I though I would give it a try. Man! was I in for a surprise! The Gold clad coin was a Valens AE3 with the victory advancing reverse that they had PLATED with gold. The coin looked like it was actually a nice example of that type. Why would they want to destroy something in this way? The coin was never meant to be gold. In addition, they took a coin that was most probably nice and blurred the details with a layer of gold. How can that ever be good? The only way for the gold to stick would be electrolysis. that means that they destroyed a patina too. How many other coins were destroyed when the electrolysis it's self ruined a fragile coin? This practice is unacceptable. Had I known what i was going to get, I would have looked elsewhere. I know better now. What do you guys think? Have you ever actually seen what these coins look like in hand? If you are curious, i can post a pic, but it will have to wait until I'm done traveling.

Ghengis_Jon

Re: An Axe to Grind
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:51:57 am »
A few comments:

1) What did you expect buying off of fleabay?
2) It was probably spray painted, not plated.
3) What did you expect buying off of fleabay?
4) Why didn't you buy from a legitimate dealer like Forvm Ancient Coins?
5) What did you expect buying off of fleabay?
6) Was the seller's name P.T. Barnum?
7) What did you expect buying off of fleabay?

Use the coins you got to experiment and learn how to clean coins.  Once you have learned what works and what doesn't, see comment #4.

You'll be ALOT happier in the long run.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity