Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Parliament of Owls  (Read 53608 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: A Parliament of Owls
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2010, 08:53:14 am »

An owl as a control mark on a Republican denarius of M. Volteius M.f.

Bill

Five more Republican owls:

1. The owl quinarius published by Scott Rottinghaus (still as of today, unique and lonely)
2. A related denarius
3. Teate quadrans
4. Silver Sestertius of Antius Restio
5. Vibo Valentia Triens

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2010, 12:34:16 pm »
I have just the two owls, both recent additions to my collection. I have a bog standard Athenian tet and my other is on this Tarantine stater I've just added today!

Adrian

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2010, 02:16:01 pm »

Here is my latest owl, an earlier "New Style" owl of 149/8 BC issue 16.

I think owls are solitary by nature but my ones seem to like company.

Cicerokid
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2010, 04:24:40 pm »
... this Tarantine stater I've just added today!

this is an interesting coin Adrian.
while seemingly Vlasto 836, which is definitely NOT scarce (one of the most common types actually), the DE to left (above the horses raised leg) makes it a little more ambiguous. it surely falls somewhere between Vlasto 834 and 841, but i really don't think it can be ANS 1165 (no DE).
in my rather vast file of these coins i can only find two others like it, and on one of those the letters are very faint and questionable.
all things considered i don't think 'scarce' is an inappropriate designation.
nice coin!  :)

~ Peter

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2010, 04:39:26 pm »
... this Tarantine stater I've just added today!

this is an interesting coin Adrian.
while seemingly Vlasto 836, which is definitely NOT scarce (one of the most common types actually), the  :Greek_Delta:E to left (above the horses raised leg) makes it a little more ambiguous. it surely falls somewhere between Vlasto 834 and 841, but i really don't think it can be ANS 1165 (no DE).
in my rather vast file of these coins i can only find two others like it, and on one of those the letters are very faint and questionable.
all things considered i don't think 'scarce' is an inappropriate designation.
nice coin!  :)

~ Peter

Thanks for the info! I just pasted the sellers description of the coin so I had no idea about the rarety of the piece. I've been looking at getting one of these staters for a while and when I saw this one I fell for the owl and decided I had to have it.

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2010, 05:00:11 pm »
my pleasure! it's not often i get to discuss my favorite area here.  8)

however i think "didrachm", or possibly "nomos" would be a more proper denomination. Stater is often used generically but doesn't really fit, especially with these Period VIII coins from the time of the Roman Alliance. the standard Tarantine drachm of this period (the ones with the beautiful owl reverse) are typically somewhere under 3.5g, so didrachm is more accurate, i think.

~ Peter

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2010, 11:38:34 pm »
at this point i think this topic would do better in the Greek Coins forvm. could it be moved there please?

~ Peter

thank you Robert!   :)

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2010, 05:28:00 am »
I know that this topic is now in the Greek coin area but I thought that I would share a Greek owl and a small Roman Imperial owl...

Firstly my Eye in profile, Athens owl...

Secondly a Marcus Aurelius Sestertius, Minerva standing left holding owl and spear; shield at left side

Regards,
Martin

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2010, 05:36:11 am »
My 'glorious' one. :)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2010, 09:41:08 am »
I was just going through this and realized that I never posted the cleaned picture of my little guy. I think that it turned out nicely. (even if the attribution is a bit problematic) :)

Chris

Palestine, Gaza mint, Attic standard Municipal coinage, Late 5th-mid 4th century B.C. AR, 15x11mm 3.72g, Mildenberg, Gaza 7
O: Head of Athena right, wearing crested Attic helmet decorated with three olive leaves over visor and a spiral palmette on the bowl, Aramaic mem on cheek
R: AQE, owl standing right, head facing; olive sprig and crescent behind; all within incuse square.
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=57541

OR

Athens, Attica mint, Drachm Ca.350 B.C. AR, 15x11mm 3.72g, Svor. Pl.21.40
O: Head of Athena r., eye in profile, wearing helmet decorated with olive leaves and palmette
R: Owl standing r., head facing, AQE to r., olive spray and crescent to l.
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=99379
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2010, 09:54:20 am »
And here is my star of the recent post on the members gallery: OH NO! Not another boring stephanophore in Cicerokid's gallery.

It is issue 14, 151/0 BC minted in the 6th month as denoted by the Z on the amphora, but no quality control marks because they only came in on the next issue 15, according to Mattingley.

No idea yet who the 2 magistrates are until Thompson arrives from the British Library.

Cicerokid

PS
I have yet again looked at Microsoft Paintbox , ( which came on my 6 year old PC) but still have not a clue how to just remove the background from the coin nevermind stitch obverse & reverse together-sorry.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2010, 09:59:39 am »
I spent half an hour putting together a tutorial just for you in another of your threads how to do this with the free program Irfanview so you can't claim you don't know how.
Andreas Reich

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2010, 12:15:33 pm »
I spent half an hour putting together a tutorial just for you in another of your threads how to do this with the free program Irfanview so you can't claim you don't know how.

I can't say no one saw mine because it has 378 views listed and only half of them could be me visiting while I was writing it.  Of course there are a hundred different programs that can do this an I'm not familiar (or interested) with all.

I commend your effort to show how using Ifranview but we should be happy when a posted photo is a reasonable size and trimmed to the point that the coin takes up half of the frame. 

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2010, 03:56:12 pm »

I have taken what has been said on board but some people don't make an adequate allowance people's differing skill levels, prior knowledge, competence, nuance, patience & time.

I work  as a lowly drone at a university and no lecturer can apparently follow simple instructions on how to use the air conditioner/ heater other than to open the windows or to ask for portable heaters!

It took me ages to learn how to down load pictures, I still often fail because the file is too big and I am no technical photographer neither.

At the moment am trying to download , copy onto a word document and  manipulate the early New Style monograms from the Numiswiki SNG Attica page.

Nightmare but I shall endeavor .

Cicerokid

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2010, 06:01:48 pm »
so this becomes yet one more interesting thread which i can barely open because of unnecessarily MASSIVE files... terrific.   >:(
and i don't understand why. the 'before' picture looks just as good at 87k (better actually, since the coin isn't overcleaned, but that's just my opinion) as the 'after' at over 1500k.

frustratedly,
~ Peter

Offline rover1.3

• Caesar
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2010, 06:08:21 pm »
Cicerokid,

I dont think you have to apologize on the board about your skills on computers.
We discuss coins here, my personal opinion is that your coins are fantastic, and i really don't mind if you choose to post the photos stitched or unstitched.
You really don't have to worry about unimportant things like "stitched" or "unstitched" photographs. Do as you like.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2010, 04:53:04 pm »
That's a very nice tet, Cicerokid.  Amazing condition.  Congratulations.

BTW, as moderator of the board, I resized the pic in this thread to make it easier to load.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2010, 03:29:15 am »

Thanks Dino, quite right.

I have just learnt how to do so with cropped images.

So no more  big downloads in future

Cicerokid

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2012, 04:58:31 pm »
not as nice as some of the examples shown earlier in this thread, still this is a Tarentine owl which i was finally able to add to my collection a few months ago.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-75311

~ Peter

Offline Equity

• Consul
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2012, 01:25:13 am »
Hello,

Peter, that's a lovely example I haven't encountered before.

Here's my very own wisdom (*) of rather bedraggled owls, all have had violence done to them! I must find the time to do some research (beginning with Reid Goldsborough's excellent website) on their ancestry...perhaps some are imitatives?
Derek
* An amusing alternative to parliament as a collective noun, apparently.
P.S.: Oddly cropped to reduce size/increase compressibility, per earlier thread. Can be clicked for higher resolution.
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Offline rover1.3

• Caesar
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2012, 04:21:10 am »
I must find the time to do some research (beginning with Reid Goldsborough's excellent website) on their ancestry...perhaps some are imitatives?

At first glance, i see nothing imitative here, just some 4th century BC, oblong, countermarked Athenian owls, along with others.
You can make some new photos for each piece, (obverse/reverse), if you like, and post them on the identification board to get a precise classification.
Please, don't forget to add the weight for each piece, don't forget to post only one coin per thread.

best regards,

rover

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2012, 05:03:02 am »
Here's my very own wisdom (*) of rather bedraggled owls, all have had violence done to them!
Bedraggled, beaten and bruised, but still beguiling! A nice montage of battered beauties.

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2012, 08:18:35 am »
Yes, very nice and numerous collection! I too would be interested to see the obv. sides at some point :)

Thanks for sharing!

~Steve

Offline Equity

• Consul
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2012, 01:46:41 am »
Rover, Lloyd, Steve, thanks for the comments. I've attached a picture of the obverses as Steve asked.
Per the terminology at Mr. Goldsborough's site:
http://rg.ancients.info/owls/
the tetradrachms on the top row are all Intermediate Style owls (haven't yet attempted to classify further)
with a classical (?) drachm, a Classical Owl (type A given the more obvious incuse square? I confess I haven't delved into the subtleties of Athena's portraiture), and two other Intermediate Style owls. I've seen some similar intermediates described as "Pi types" given the pattern of the scroll on Athena's helmet.
For those who are interested, the tets on the top row weigh:
17.2g 17.15g 17.13g
respectively and those on the bottom weigh
3.74g (drachm) 16.96g (Classical) 17.18g and 17.19g respectively. As is no doubt obvious to the owl cognoscenti, the Classical owl, despite having a noticeably larger diameter, has a thinner flan, and weighs a couple of centigrams less, possibly in part due to the severe deformation (and loss of mass?) from the violent test cut. Thankfully, in this case the test cutter chose not to bisect the owl. (Which I understand may have been done because the owl's beak was among the thickest portions of the flan).

Amazing feeling looking at these, and contemplating whose hands they may have passed through over the years. The rightmost intermediate-style owl on the bottom row has a strange crystalline encrustation on the reverse that I've asked for suggestions on before over at the cleaning board--careful application of lemon juice+distilled water was suggested. I have not yet had time to experiment, am hopefully looking forward to seeing the owl awaiting underneath.
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2012, 03:47:46 am »
I'd love to have this owl in my aviary .....

All coins are guaranteed for eternity