Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallienus?  (Read 312 times)

Offline John K

• Consul
Gallienus?
« on: August 31, 2010, 07:34:49 pm »
Looks like    IM? (G)ALLIENUS ? VG

Reverse      (G)EN ? S  AVG

Weight: 17.04g
Size: 29mm

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Re: Gallienus?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:57:36 pm »
Looks like    IM? (G)ALLIENUS ? VG

Reverse      (G)EN ? S  AVG

Weight: 17.04g
Size: 29mm

I think Gallienus with Genius Aug reverse. Genius standing left holding Patera and Cornucopia, Standard to right.
Probably a sestertius although I can't find this coin listed with the laureate bust and Genius rev. But there are many resources I don't have access to.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:23:42 pm »
Apparently an upublished bust type for this reverse: Göbl 443b knew this sestertius only with obv. laureate, cuirassed, seen from front (4 specimens), not laureate, draped, cuirassed, seen from front, like yours.

Göbl pl. 39, 438h and 439h, illustrates the same obverse die of your coin coupled with two other rev. types of the issue, IOVI CONSERVATORI S C and PAX AVG S C. The obverse legend, as these coins show, is IMP GALLIENVS P F AVG.

Most sestertii of Gallienus are from his joint reign with Valerian I; sestertii of his sole reign, like yours, are considerably rarer. Göbl dates the issue to 261-2 AD. It is the last issue to contain a fair complement of bronze coins, even if most of them are rare; after this Gallienus hardly struck any bronze coins at all.
Curtis Clay

Offline John K

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 10:33:15 pm »
This is all excellent news. I also was not finding this combination together so I figured I was going in the wrong direction and had the wrong emperior!!!

Thanks!!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity