Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange Antoninus Pius sestertius  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Strange Antoninus Pius sestertius
« on: April 26, 2009, 10:15:54 am »
Hi all,

Below is an Antoninus Pius sestertius that shows strange features. Especially the beard seems tooled, but the overall impression is of lack of style and hability in the engraving.
The other picture is of a second example, looking legitimate and possibly from the same dies (letters are very similar one to another). After the complete different style, the main difference, to my eyes, is given by a different lenght of the lace in Antonine's necck.

Is the first one heavily tooled or a complete forgery ?

Thanks in advance
Potator

Offline SVLLAIMP

• Consul
Re: Strange Antoninus Pius sestertius
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 04:54:00 pm »
I would guess tooled and real.

Offline Postumus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Iterum rudit leo.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 04:02:03 pm »
Possible ... tooled and genuine
Caius Marcus Latinus Cassianius Postumus

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 06:03:47 pm »
Why tooled? The dies appear to be the same. Of course the first could be a cast, there's no way to tell from the pic unless you find a twin.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline SVLLAIMP

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 07:23:01 pm »
I thought tooled because the portrait appears to be a little more worn on this coin than the example, but the laurel leaves and beard seem crisp and the elements spaced further apart.  But I am no expert and could easily be wrong.

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:01:05 pm »
I would prefer a different lighting...Anyway, it could be that the reverse is not fully struck(like the head)

Anyway, a different picture with indirect lighting on the beard potentially could shed more details

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:30:32 am »
Why tooled? The dies appear to be the same. Of course the first could be a cast, there's no way to tell from the pic unless you find a twin.

Lars

Because, IMO, the general impression is to be from same dies, but with some differences : the snake turns once around the altar on one and twice on the other, different lenght of the lace in the neck. Those can't be explained by the sole wear or different lighning.

Other opinions ?

Thanks
Potator

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 04:20:31 am »
I don't see any traces of tooling. The snake may have been smoothed away, or maybe it's just flatly struck.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline cebolar

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 04:45:10 am »
I think Pscipio is right, no tooling there and not even smoothing. the missing coil of the snake might be due to a filled die .
regards
frank

All coins are guaranteed for eternity