Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I like large flan posthumous Alexander Tetradrachms  (Read 922 times)

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
I like large flan posthumous Alexander Tetradrachms
« on: January 09, 2022, 01:43:15 pm »
I really like the huge posthumous large module Alexander Tets.  The larger (assuming the style isn't wretched) the better.  Any mint and date range recommendations?

And generally speaking, they aren't hideously expensive.  Win, win.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Re: I like large flan posthumous Alexander Tetradrachms
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 08:03:44 pm »
What's not to like at 31 mm diameter?... and a bit of history attached to this type ... As indicated by Price, this is one of the few Alexandrine issues where there is a possibility that the portrayal of Herakles might have been based on a portrait of Alexander the Great. For whatever reason this portrayal was restricted to a single obverse die that was used to strike all known examples of Price 1003 and 1004 ...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=115138
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 08:30:57 pm »
Another one with a lot of history behind it ... 30 mm diameter ...  struck in low relief with a flat fabric it has a very pleasing modernistic ascetic in the hand ... most unusual for a 2,000 year old coin and well ahead of its time in my opinion ...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174298
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 08:48:05 pm »
At 32 mm diameter probably among the largest of the big flan Alexanders ... certainly the largest in my collection ... intriguing artistry that begs the question why? ... a major development in artistic style from those that came before, I like it very much.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!  ...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=115139

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 09:22:48 am »
A number of late Alexanders from Mesembria are overstruck on Thasos tetradrachms--usually part of the Thasos legend is visible on the reverse.  Something to look for.

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 11:12:52 am »

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 02:52:39 am »
This one from Kyme is 37 mm in diameter.

... ding, ding, ding, ding .... jackpot!  A very nice Alexander indeed!

David T7

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 02:34:18 pm »
Lovely coins. I intend to acquire one. It's quite a lot of money for me so I would like to read up and understand what I'm buying. I've read a few articles about them but is there a standard book I could read? Thanks folks.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 07:28:24 pm »
The reason they are so large is that most (all?) are overstruck on earlier tetradrachms that have been hammered to make them nice smooth flans.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity