Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pentanummium of Tiberius III Apsimar?  (Read 695 times)

Offline Perikles

• Consul
Pentanummium of Tiberius III Apsimar?
« on: August 11, 2021, 02:29:36 am »
Hallo everybody,

i would like to hear your opinion about a coin, which is auctioned from an european auction house this month.

The description is as follows:
"Tiberius II Constantine (?), 578-582. Pentanummium (Bronze, 18 mm, 1.80 g, 6 h), uncertain mint, possibly Antiochia. Monogram of 'Tiberius'. Rev. Large Ч with cross above. DOC -. MIB -, cf. MIB Continued, pl. 15, 61 (for a similar pentanummium of Tiberius II Constantine from Antiochia). SB -. Apparently unique and of great interest".

As i know this monogram exactly belongs to Tiberius III Apsimar (like on his Follis: DOC 32; SB 1395) and not to his namesakes Maurice Tiberius or Tiberius II Constantine.
What do you think?

If it is not permitted to start a topic about a coin that it will be auctioned, i please the Admin to remove it.
Thank you very much
Perikles
Ἐξ ἀνάγκης ἡ τοῦ νομίσματος ἐπορίσθη χρῆσις...,ὃ τῶν χρησίμων αὐτὸ ὂν εἶχε τὴν χρείαν εὐμεταχείριστον πρὸς τὸ ζῆν.
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
Re: Pentanummium of Tiberius III Apsimar?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 04:01:34 am »
Judging by the style of the coin reverse (Ч and the cross style), this coin -- product of the Antioch mint.  Under Tiberius Apsimarus, this mint has already ceased to exist.  I know  another one such pentanummia with this rare monogram type.  Most likely, it is still Tiberius II Constantine.

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 08:06:35 pm »
Another argument is that by the time of Tiberius III the mints weren't producing anything smaller than the decanummium. This type just fits more naturally into the 6th century than the start of the 8th century.

Bill R.

Offline Perikles

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 03:03:47 am »
Thank you very much both for your reasoned arguments.

Perikles
Ἐξ ἀνάγκης ἡ τοῦ νομίσματος ἐπορίσθη χρῆσις...,ὃ τῶν χρησίμων αὐτὸ ὂν εἶχε τὴν χρείαν εὐμεταχείριστον πρὸς τὸ ζῆν.
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

All coins are guaranteed for eternity