Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ptolemy Bronze 24mm x 9.4gr Zeus Ammon Identification would be appreciated.  (Read 1200 times)

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi All,

I have a Ptolemy Bronze coming in the mail and I am having trouble identifying it.

It is 24mm in diameter and 9.4 gram weight. A Zeus Ammon obverse with closed wings eagle facing left reverse. It has no lotus flower in field (or does it?) and appears to have PTOLEMAI obliterated but appears not to have the letters EYL between the legs.

I would have guessed Svoronos 1399 except for the no EYL.

Identity would be appreciated

Stay Safe,
All the best,
Col.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Could be Svoronos 1242a, with faint star ? Much of the reverse is faint which makes positive ID unlikely. Does look like one of the 2nd - 1st C. Cypriot types.

PtolemAE

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi PtolemAE,

Thank you for the help. I didn't think of 1242a because of the star. I should gave realised that, with the flat surface of the left field, anything could be missing.

Much appreciated,
All the best,
Col

All coins are guaranteed for eternity