Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman minim- identification  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Jon J

• Praetorian
Roman minim- identification
« on: December 17, 2019, 07:12:16 am »
Hello,

I have one roman bronze minim that is in really poor condition, but I find a picture on internet that is I think same as mine. So I am posting the picture from internet. Please help me to find who is thin on minim. Picture is in attachment. Sorry on my bad english. : ))

Thank you very much

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Roman minim- identification
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 07:57:01 am »

Offline Jon J

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 08:07:31 am »
This is original reverse on my coin, as I sad it is in poor condition. I have searched on internet but cant identify.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 08:23:06 am »
We would need to see a picture of the obverse of your own coin, not one off the internet, as these coins were struck by several emperors.

Alex

Offline Jon J

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 12:02:07 pm »
Hello, this below is oruginal coin. I know it is in poor condition. If anyone can help it will be great.
Thank you

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 12:42:24 pm »
Your coin is almost certainly one of those with the "Victory dragging captive" reverses, but I regret that I am unable to read any of the obverse inscription to enable me to discern which emperor it is.

Your coin looks very similar to the coin of Arcadius below but I am not saying that your coin is of Arcadius because I just don't know. Maybe someone else with more expertise with these types can narrow it down better.

Alex

Offline Jon J

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 01:17:23 pm »
Alex, thank you very much. It definitly is "Victory dragging captive" reverse. Now I find that Valentinian II has realy similar coin to this. But us you said letters on reverse side are almost unrecognizable.
Thank you

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 05:49:24 pm »
The obverse legend is unbroken.  Given the size and number of letters I suspect that Valentinian may be a better candidate than Arcadius....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity