Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266363 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #250 on: November 03, 2015, 03:23:45 am »

This thread is a train wreck and I can't look away!  :)

I agree, it's like a bad soap opera

Hi Bill,

Why?

Isn't it good to learn new things? Learning is good.

Isn't it good to "push the boundaries" and do something different and "revolutionary" (the word Andrew used)?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #251 on: November 03, 2015, 03:27:18 am »
MeepZorp wrote:
"I tried to download the new photos to my computer, and I had major problems. It was doing the same thing it did the other day (when my niece and her boyfriend were here), but worse. It won't download the photos. The computer is not even recognizing it as being connected when it is. It is not appearing as a connected device in the window for the hard drive when it is connected."

have you downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes?
http://www.apple.com/itunes/?cid=OAS-US-DOMAINS-itunes.com
PeteB

Hi Akro,

No, I haven't. I'll give it a whirl.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2015, 03:35:55 am »
MeepZorp wrote:
"I tried to download the new photos to my computer, and I had major problems. It was doing the same thing it did the other day (when my niece and her boyfriend were here), but worse. It won't download the photos. The computer is not even recognizing it as being connected when it is. It is not appearing as a connected device in the window for the hard drive when it is connected."

have you downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes?
http://www.apple.com/itunes/?cid=OAS-US-DOMAINS-itunes.com
PeteB

Hi Akro,

I tried to download and install it. But it wouldn't work. I got a message stating "errors occurred during installation". And the installation was aborted.

The website explained that you need Windows 7 or more recent. I have Windows Vista. Could that be a problem?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #253 on: November 03, 2015, 04:19:58 am »
Hi folks,

I updated my website home page.

I centered everything and added a photo of Meepzorp (me).

Meepzorp

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2015, 08:04:36 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 02, 2015, 01:51:36 pm
Hi folks,

I ordered a new cable. It was cheap ($1.99 plus free expedited shipping). It should be here Wednesday.

I hope that resolves the problem.

If it doesn't, then I'll probably need a new computer.

Meepzorp

This thread is exasperating.

I'm sorry Meepzorp but you already need a new computer in my opinion. You say you have learned a lot and you have spent a lot of time asking for advice - and the advice that you need a new computer is the overwhelming consensus of opinion here. As far as I can see you are trying to cross the Atlantic in a bathtub because you won't invest in a proper boat.

Furthermore your pictures are still way too dark - they might look okay to you which is great but if the majority of visitors to your website are using modern equipment and are confronted with page after page of dark circular featureless blobs they won't hang about for long.

I am really sorry to be so blunt but you have asked for advice and rather than just being nicey nicey about it all which really won't help you much I am trying to let you see how it is from my, and I think many other people's perspective.

I really hope that you won't be too offended, I am just saying what I feel and I wish you all the best in your endeavour.

Alex

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #255 on: November 03, 2015, 08:58:04 am »
I agree with Alex that you need a new computer.  You can probably get a used one, much better than the one you have, for $100.  Also, on this computer the photos are too dark. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #256 on: November 03, 2015, 10:22:45 am »
MeepZorp wrote:
"The website explained that you need Windows 7 or more recent. I have Windows Vista. Could that be a problem?"

ABSOLUTELY! You need a NEW computer.

If you just won't buy one, you can download older versions of iTunes at the link below.
https://support.apple.com/downloads/itunes

Keep scrolling down and keep clicking "Show more" until you get down to version 11.
One person posted on the internet: "As an experienced user of 32-bit Vista, I would have to say that the last compatible iTunes version was 11.1.5."

If that doesn't work, keep scrolling down to earlier versions.

I am no expert on Apple products, but I believe you must have iTunes installed for your iPhone4 to properly "talk" to your computer.

Again, buy a NEW computer! You will be glad you did!!!

PeteB

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #257 on: November 03, 2015, 12:03:33 pm »
I rest my coins on a small piece of play dough, raising it up off the back round to give it depth and it can also be used to slightly tilt the coin if needed.

Not on topic but I felt this needed a reply. If you are using the kind of play dough that comes in a can, or even home made, I would stop this immediately. It has a lot of salt in it and if you're resting bronze coins on it you will eventually have bronze disease on your coins. Do not put anything with salt in it anywhere near a bronze coin.

Barry Murphy

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #258 on: November 03, 2015, 12:10:28 pm »
I rest my coins on a small piece of play dough, raising it up off the back round to give it depth and it can also be used to slightly tilt the coin if needed.

Not on topic but I felt this needed a reply. If you are using the kind of play dough that comes in a can, or even home made, I would stop this immediately. It has a lot of salt in it and if you're resting bronze coins on it you will eventually have bronze disease on your coins. Do not put anything with salt in it anywhere near a bronze coin.

Barry Murphy

I have been using lego. There are pieces that are small enough that they are still completely hidden, even under an AE4 coin.

Sometimes.  :-[  ;D

Alex

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #259 on: November 03, 2015, 01:17:44 pm »
Hi folks,

I ordered a new cable. It was cheap ($1.99 plus free expedited shipping). It should be here Wednesday.

Meepzorp
Furthermore your pictures are still way too dark - they might look okay to you which is great but if the majority of visitors to your website are using modern equipment and are confronted with page after page of dark circular featureless blobs they won't hang about for long.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Of course my photos are still way too dark. I haven't done anything to them. I haven't swapped them out yet with my new photos, which are  much lighter and better.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #260 on: November 03, 2015, 01:22:26 pm »
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

I'm sorry Meepzorp but you already need a new computer in my opinion. You say you have learned a lot and you have spent a lot of time asking for advice - and the advice that you need a new computer is the overwhelming consensus of opinion here. As far as I can see you are trying to cross the Atlantic in a bathtub because you won't invest in a proper boat.

I am really sorry to be so blunt but you have asked for advice and rather than just being nicey nicey about it all which really won't help you much I am trying to let you see how it is from my, and I think many other people's perspective.

I really hope that you won't be too offended, I am just saying what I feel and I wish you all the best in your endeavour.

Alex

Hi Alex,

No, I am not offended. I appreciate bluntness. I am the same way.

I actually started the ball rolling on this issue (getting a new computer) yesterday. And, today, I "pushed that ball further down the court". Believe me, I'm working on it.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #261 on: November 03, 2015, 01:24:32 pm »
I agree with Alex that you need a new computer.  You can probably get a used one, much better than the one you have, for $100.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the advice. As I mentioned above (to Alex), I'm working on it.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #262 on: November 04, 2015, 08:29:19 am »
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

Alex

Hi Alex and folks,

As I mentioned above, I am "working on it" (getting a new computer).

When you wrote this post (above), I was already in the process of looking into getting a new computer. I had already discussed it with my family members twice. Not once, but twice.

After reading your post (and Joe's and Akro's posts immediately under yours), I had a third discussion about this issue with my family members. But this time, I discussed it with more urgency, and I was more emphatic.

You must understand that it is not just me involved in this decision. I am not the only one who uses this computer. My niece uses it quite a bit, and my sister uses it occasionally. And I had to get everyone "on board" (to borrow from your boat analogy above :)).

After my third discussion with my family members (my mother, sister, niece, etc), we agreed that I should get a new computer. Not a used one, a brand new one. At one point, we were looking into the possibility of my sister buying my niece a brand new computer, and then my sister giving me my niece's current computer, which is now about 3-4 years old. By the way, that's how I got the computer I am using right now, which is now about 8 years old. But we discarded that idea and decided that I should get a brand new computer.

I am scheduled to pick it up in a few hours, health permitting, of course.

This is the model I think I am getting:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-laptop-amd-a6-series-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/4221508.p?id=1219708599663&skuId=4221508

By the way, I really appreciate your (and Joe's and Akro's) bluntness. I am the same way. It helped to drive the point home to both me and my family members.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #263 on: November 04, 2015, 10:27:47 am »
I think that one will have everything you need.  I think you will enjoy the improvements. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2015, 10:58:53 am »
Meepzorp,

Well done! I think that you will be astonished at the difference your new computer will make.

Alex.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #265 on: November 04, 2015, 12:10:08 pm »
I'm happy for you, Meep. This should greatly improve your experiences going forward. Of course, now you'll need to learn your way around the new operating system...

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #266 on: November 04, 2015, 02:05:25 pm »
Hi folks,

I just got back from the store. I bought my new computer. I need to make a correction though. The link I provided in my above post isn't the computer I got. I didn't realize it until I got to the store, but that computer doesn't have an Intel microprocessor. It has an AMD microprocessor. That's why it is so cheap. I am not familiar with that brand. The salesman told me that AMD microprocessors aren't that good. The computer will run slower, and it will drain the battery more than an Intel microprocessor will because it requires more power. He also told me that it may break after only one year.

HP makes a very similar model (it looks the same), but it has an Intel microprocessor instead. It costs $110 more. So, I got that one instead. It cost $387 plus tax.

Here is the link to the model I bought:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i3-6gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/4221600.p?id=1219708598794&skuId=4221600

It is $399 online, but I got it at my local store for $387 plus tax.

It comes with Microsoft Windows 10 and 6 months free anti-virus protection. I didn't get a word processor. I can always add one down the road if I need one.

But I got a surprise when I got home.....(continued in next post).

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #267 on: November 04, 2015, 02:19:24 pm »
Hi folks,

I haven't taken my new computer out of the box yet.

As I mentioned above, I ordered a new iPhone USB cable. It cost me $2. It arrived today.

I decided to test it on my old computer. I connected it to the computer and iPhone 4. Would you believe it worked? As soon as I connected it, the iPhone asked me if it should trust the computer, so I clicked on "trust". It instantly downloaded the coin photos with no problems. And I never even installed that iTunes software that Akro referred me to. I didn't need it. It worked perfectly without it.

So, it turns out that the problem was the cable all along. All I needed to fix the problem was to buy a $2 cable.

But I don't want to say that I bought a new computer for nothing, because I really needed one. This computer is getting worse and worse. It is getting slower and slower. And it is freezing more and more frequently, and I must keep shutting it down and re-starting it, repeatedly over and over and over again. Today, it took me almost 2 hours just to read my new incoming emails. The computer froze on me 4 different times. And I had to shut it down and re-start it 4 times just to get through my emails. It is really getting annoying. It's a shame because there is really nothing "wrong" with this computer. Nothing is broken. It's just an annoying and nagging problem.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #268 on: November 04, 2015, 02:25:08 pm »
Hi folks,

Since I was able to download them from my iPhone, I looked at my new photos taken with my new lightning set-up. They appear to be better (brighter), but they are still a bit dark. And they now have an orange/brown tint to them, I guess because of the 100 watt incandescent light bulb directly above them.

The older photos looked more like the natural color of the coin in hand.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #269 on: November 04, 2015, 02:53:13 pm »
It may have been the cable, but you still needed a new computer. 

I wouldn't spend money on virus protection after the free six months. Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender. Some people think Windows Defender isn't adequate. Even so, there are a number of free antivirus, anti-spyware and anti-malware protection programs that you can download.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #270 on: November 04, 2015, 04:10:07 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 04, 2015, 02:25:08 pm
Hi folks,

Since I was able to download them from my iPhone, I looked at my new photos taken with my new lightning set-up. They appear to be better (brighter), but they are still a bit dark. And they now have an orange/brown tint to them, I guess because of the 100 watt incandescent light bulb directly above them.

Meepzorp

Meep,

You might try a halogen bulb (use the highest wattage that your work light is rated for).  Halogen are rated much closer to daylight than incandescent bulbs.  If you are fearless, you can try a compact fluorescent bulb, but they scare me. 

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #271 on: November 04, 2015, 05:08:31 pm »
I wouldn't spend money on virus protection after the free six months. Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender. Some people think Windows Defender isn't adequate. Even so, there are a number of free antivirus, anti-spyware and anti-malware protection programs that you can download.

Hi Joe,

My old computer has Superantispyware and Malwarebytes. Jay referred me to them.

I know that they can remove a virus after it has already attacked your computer. But I don't know if they actually prevent a virus from entering in the first place.

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #272 on: November 04, 2015, 05:17:42 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 04, 2015, 05:08:31 pm

Hi Joe,

My old computer has Superantispyware and Malwarebytes. Jay referred me to them.

I know that they can remove a virus after it has already attacked your computer. But I don't know if they actually prevent a virus from entering in the first place.

Meepzorp

Meepzorp

As Joe said, you don't need antivirus with Windows 10 - safety is essentially built in to Windows Defender. Any free antivirus is likely to try install a lot of extra junk on your new PC and probably slow it down. So, don't. The time spent installing stuff you don't need is better spent installing stuff you really do need such as a photo editor. With your iPhone camera, you are always going to need to post -process because its camera element is a low cost item that'll only take moderate quality pics. Whilst waiting to buy a better camera please download and use Photofiltre (or equivalent). And as previously reminded, OpenOffice and LibreOffice are perfectly good alternates to Word and Excel.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #273 on: November 04, 2015, 05:21:12 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on November 04, 2015, 04:10:07 pm
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 04, 2015, 02:25:08 pm
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

Meep,

You might try a halogen bulb (use the highest wattage that your work light is rated for).  Halogen are rated much closer to daylight than incandescent bulbs.  If you are fearless, you can try a compact fluorescent bulb, but they scare me. 

Hi Cara,

It is interesting that you mentioned that.

I take my coin photos on my kitchen table. Above it, there is a light fixture that hangs from the ceiling. It has a CFL bulb in it, which I think is equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent bulb.

When I took my first batch of photos (the ones everyone complained were too dark), I used a combination of sunlight (primary) and the CFL bulb (secondary). And the color of the coins came out wonderful. They looked just like the coin in hand. But they were too dark.

When I added the 100 watt incandescent bulb (which I clamped onto the bottom of the light fixture that hangs from the ceiling), the coin photos came out brighter (not as dark), but they look nothing like the coins in hand. The colors are way off. And, as I mentioned above, they have an orange/brown tint to them. They don't look natural.

Maybe I can put a CFL bulb in the third light, one that is equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent bulb (just like the one that is in my kitchen light fixture right now). I think I may have an extra one.

Apparently, sunlight and/or CFL bulbs make the coins look more natural in the photos.

Meepzorp

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #274 on: November 04, 2015, 05:34:34 pm »
If you already use CFLs in your house, you should definitely try a CFL (please be careful with it).  CFLs rate pretty high in terms of light "temperature" being close to daylight - in effect neutral brightness.  It would be good if you could setup the light so that you can adjust its angle vs. the coin, but go with your overhead setup for now.

Congratulations on the new computer. I agree with Andrew that, given your newly acquired storage capacity, you should download the photo editing software and at least fiddle with it in your spare time.  Even if you rarely use it, it is a tool that you should have in your coin toolbox.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity