Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266653 times)

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2015, 11:39:56 pm »
Hi Pete,

I want to ask you about the template/grid that contains the clickable photos in your website.

After reading the html tutorial, I now have a very rudimentary understanding of how to create it. I also understand how to do line breaks.

But what happens when you need to add another coin, and it must be inserted in the grid (not at the beginning or end)? After every fourth photo, your grid goes down to the next line. Does the code automatically compensate for that? Or must you manually alter the code every time you need to insert a new coin? If that is the case, then every line break after the insertion location must be moved, right?

Maybe I won't do a grid.

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2015, 12:07:53 am »
Hi Pete,

I have another question. It pertains to the opening line in your website's code.

Do I have to copy everything exactly (word for word) as it appears between "<!DOCTYPE" and "EN">"? Do I need to write a variation of that?

Meepzorp

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2015, 06:22:39 am »
Hi Meepzorp,

Glad you have made some progress. The 'meta' reference you quote is in the 'header' and is usually <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8"> on my web-pages. It is just there so that non-standard characters -particularly Greek in this case- can be inserted into the text. It does no harm to leave it there. You will probably want to be able to have Greek characters on your pages in the future.

My menu routine is quite long and can certainly be erased. Look for the comments <!-- START OF MENU --> and <!-- END MENU --> (but make sure you leave </head> in place though). Most of the rest of the code is to do with formatting; i.e. font size and colour, text alignment etc.

Do go ahead and experiment. It can't do any harm. Just remember that most tags need an end marker such as <B>Comment:</B> (bold) and each new line of text needs a < br >.

Good luck,

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2015, 08:21:38 am »
Meta tags are not for internal purposes only.  They are used to provide site information (page title, page description and keywords) to search engines, among other things.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2015, 09:40:34 am »
Meta tags are not for internal purposes only.  They are used to provide site information (page title, page description and keywords) to search engines, among other things.

Meta tags are used to provide information to search engines, but also to declare character encoding (of the web-page). I refer you to 'HTML, XHTML & CSS Sixth Edition' by Elizabeth Castro, page 59.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2015, 09:55:05 pm »
Hi Meepzorp,

Glad you have made some progress. The 'meta' reference you quote is in the 'header' and is usually <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8"> on my web-pages. It is just there so that non-standard characters -particularly Greek in this case- can be inserted into the text. It does no harm to leave it there. You will probably want to be able to have Greek characters on your pages in the future.

My menu routine is quite long and can certainly be erased. Look for the comments <!-- START OF MENU --> and <!-- END MENU --> (but make sure you leave </head> in place though). Most of the rest of the code is to do with formatting; i.e. font size and colour, text alignment etc.

Do go ahead and experiment. It can't do any harm. Just remember that most tags need an end marker such as <B>Comment:</B> (bold) and each new line of text needs a < br >.

Good luck,

Peter

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply.

I was actually referring to the second "meta" in your website's code, not the first one. If I am not mistaken, it appears that the second "meta" refers to the dropdown menu. Since I won't be using a dropdown menu, I assume that I can erase all of the code that pertains to it.

When I wrote my previous posts above, I wasn't aware that the menu at the top of the page (in blue and white) is actually a dropdown menu. That's why I couldn't figure out why that code was there. It didn't make any sense to me. Once I realized that it is a dropdown menu, and I hovered my cursor over it, I now understand the reason why that code is there. Now, I "get it".

I won't need any of that code. So, yes, I can erase quite a bit of the code.

But what about the information contained in the second "meta"? It contains the word "Author" and a person's name. Do I erase that also?

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2015, 10:01:08 pm »
Hi folks,

Once Joe sets up the website, how do I start the whole process? How do I get the ball rolling? What is the first thing I do?

Back when I thought I was using Wordpress, I read the tutorial. That tutorial explained how to get started. But I'm not using Wordpress now. I'll be using Pete's website code as a guide, and I'll be writing my own code. Do I follow the same procedure to get started (as if I am using Wordpress)? Or do I do something different?

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2015, 10:07:16 pm »
Hi folks,

Once I get rolling, how do I create a new page?

Once I've created that new page, I must place that information in the clickable link on the preceding page (in the code, of course). That way, when someone clicks on it, it will go to the desired page. But the new page must be created first in order to have a web address to place in the code of the preceding page.

I assume that's how it is done, right?

Meepzorp

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2015, 04:22:01 am »
There are numerous tutorials online on how to write simple web pages. There is no short cut, you need to read them.
Andreas Reich

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2015, 06:27:34 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 19, 2015, 09:55:05 pm

But what about the information contained in the second "meta"? It contains the word "Author" and a person's name. Do I erase that also?

The menu uses a small Java program written by the "Author" who requires a "credit" for providing for free, but as you will not be using a menu you can erase that section.
Peter, London

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2015, 06:43:46 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 19, 2015, 10:01:08 pm
Hi folks,

Once Joe sets up the website, how do I start the whole process? How do I get the ball rolling? What is the first thing I do?

Back when I thought I was using Wordpress, I read the tutorial. That tutorial explained how to get started. But I'm not using Wordpress now. I'll be using Pete's website code as a guide, and I'll be writing my own code. Do I follow the same procedure to get started (as if I am using Wordpress)? Or do I do something different?

Meepzorp

Firstly, you don't need to upload to your web-site to check that everything works. So get a few pages written and their links, etc., checked direct from your hard disk in your browser as described above.

Uploading to your web-site is simply a question of transfering files from your hard disk to the server hard disk that Forum allocates to you. As someone has already recommended, I suggest that you use the free program Filezilla.
Peter, London

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2015, 06:47:53 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 19, 2015, 10:07:16 pm
Hi folks,

Once I get rolling, how do I create a new page?

Once I've created that new page, I must place that information in the clickable link on the preceding page (in the code, of course). That way, when someone clicks on it, it will go to the desired page. But the new page must be created first in order to have a web address to place in the code of the preceding page.

I assume that's how it is done, right?

Meepzorp

That's more or less right. I normally copy an existing htm file and save it under a different file name and then change the details within the new page, such as links, images etc.
Peter, London

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2015, 10:18:21 am »
I have asked Sorin to set up the website space, but he works his own schedule and hasn't checked in yet at all this week.  Once he gets to it, it will only take him a few minutes.

But, there isn't any reason to wait for him to start making pages.  You make the website on your computer and then upload.  

You will also want to google FTP and learn how to upload your pages once you have created them and the space is set up.    
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2015, 09:38:02 pm »
There are numerous tutorials online on how to write simple web pages. There is no short cut, you need to read them.

Hi areich,

That's not the problem. I think I've pretty much figured that (how to write simple web pages) out by now.

The actual writing of the code isn't the problem. It's all of the other stuff (uploading, etc.). That's what I now need to learn.

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2015, 10:18:03 pm »
Hi folks,

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice, especially Pete and Joe for their suggestions in recent posts.

I hope to get around to doing all of these things (looking up Filezilla, FTP, etc.) soon.

Unfortunately, this week has not been a good week for me. In fact, it is one of the worst weeks I've had in a long time. Everything is going wrong.

On Saturday, I got stuck helping my niece almost all day. And we are still not done yet.

On Sunday, I had my sister's 25th wedding anniversary party to attend.

Monday, I was free.

Today (Tuesday), I was supposed to finish helping my niece. But she got stuck working at the last minute. And I wound up "getting appointed" to take my mother to the hospital for a routine procedure.

Tomorrow (Wednesday), I'm supposed to finish helping my niece with her research project.

On Thursday, my niece and her boyfriend are (tentatively) scheduled to come here to teach me numerous things about photographing coins.

On Friday, I have a medical appointment to have my blood drawn. It's routine. I do it once a year.

And, on top of all of that, I don't feel good this week. For some reason, my Lyme is flaring up. I've had trouble breathing and felt lightheaded intermittently all week. I'm having trouble thinking straight, and I keep feeling like I am going to pass out. This week is the sickest I've been all year. This happens sometimes. It is probably viral. Chronic Lyme Disease is basically an auto-immune disorder. If something (like a virus, for example) stimulates my immune system, I get sick.

I think I picked the wrong week to try to learn new things.

It looks like I may not be able to make any significant progress (with regard to my website, etc.) until next week.

Meepzorp

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2015, 05:20:59 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 20, 2015, 09:38:02 pm

Hi areich,

That's not the problem. I think I've pretty much figured that (how to write simple web pages) out by now.

The actual writing of the code isn't the problem. It's all of the other stuff (uploading, etc.). That's what I now need to learn.

Meepzorp

That's what tutorials will tell you.
Andreas Reich

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2015, 11:41:04 pm »
Hi folks,

It appears that my Lyme flare up may be starting to let up. My symptoms are lessening for the last day or 2. Fortunately, these flare ups are usually shorter lived now. 10-15 years ago, my Lyme flare ups would last for months and months on end, where I'd be bedridden and deathly sick. As the years go by, the severity and duration of these flare ups appear to be lessening, which is typical of chronic Lyme Disease. However, it is Winter (virus season), so it is only a matter of time before something else comes along that stimulates my immune system.

As expected, I haven't made any progress with regard to my website. Last night, I received an email form Joe's webmaster that it is ready to go.

Yesterday, I had to help my niece finish her research project.

Today, my niece and her boyfriend came here and taught me numerous things about photographing coins.

(Continued in next post.)

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2015, 12:23:24 am »
Hi folks,

Everything you can imagine that could possibly go wrong, did go wrong today.

My niece finally brought her old iPhone 4 and cable here. As instructed, she charged it and deleted several hundred photos to make room. She had about 1,500 photos on it. She deleted about 700 of them. There are still about 800 of her photos on it.

They were here for about 2 1/2 hours. We didn't get much accomplished.

I decided to start with 3 Magna Graecia (Apulia) coins. I spent about 1 hour taking photos and experimenting. I took several photos of each coin. I got scared because the photos looked very dark on the iPhone. But they transferred much better. I kept the best photos and deleted the rest.

We had problems like you wouldn't believe. My computer is very, very "twitchy". It is also 8 years old.

The iPhone cable was acting up. If you just touch it or move it so much as 1 mm, the iPhone will shut off and reboot. It did this about 15-20 times today.

My computer kept freezing, about 8 different times. We had to shut it down and re-start it all over again, 8 different times.

It turns out that, on my computer, you can't have the iPhone and flash drive connected to it simultaneously. The computer will just freeze. We had to keep dis-connecting the flash drive so that the iPhone could download the photos. For some reason, on this computer, it won't let you download photos from the iPhone while the flash drive is connected.

We initially tried to do everything under me. But the computer kept freezing, and it wouldn't obey commands. This computer used to be my niece's old computer. She is still the "admin". She is still the primary user. I am a secondary user. For some reason, this computer will only do certain things (like download photos form an iPhone, for example) while it is operating under the primary user. It will refuse to do them if it is operating under a secondary user (me). It took us a while to figure this out.

I don't want to permanently store approximately 10,000 photos on the hard drive. It will significantly slow down the computer. And, initially, I didn't want to temporarily store the photos on the hard drive either. It is extra steps. Unfortunately, this computer will let you crop photos only if they are stored on the hard drive. It won't let you crop them if you are transferring them from the iPhone to the flash drive without using the hard drive. The "fix" icon (for cropping photos) is dark. It is a dead link. It only turns white and becomes a usable link if the photos are stored on the hard drive. So, now, as I am going along, I must delete the photos from both the iPhone and the hard drive. Extra steps.

Because of all these unforeseen problems, it literally took us about 1 1/2 hours (90 minutes !!!) before we finally were able to store even so much as one photo on the flash drive.

At that point, my niece and her boyfriend were here for 2 1/2 hours. And we were just transferring our first photo to the flash drive. They had to leave because my niece had to go to work. In fact, she yelled at us (me and her boyfriend) 4 times that they had to leave. So, her boyfriend literally had less than 5 minutes to teach me things (cropping, storing, etc.). And she was screaming at us the entire time. She rushed us so much that I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't know if I was coming or going. Obviously, there were questions that I didn't get to ask. Later tonight, when I tried to organize things, I had to look things up online.

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2015, 12:30:50 am »
Hi folks,

So, it appears that this is "do-able".

But there are complications because my computer is so "twitchy" (possibly because it is 8 years old). And there are going to be extra steps involved.

By the way, considering the fact that I used an iPhone instead of a digital camera, the photos came out fantastically well. They surpassed even my most optimistic expectations. I can't believe how nice they turned out. I can't wait to post them in my website.

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2015, 05:52:38 am »
Hi folks,

Last week was hectic. This week, I should have more free time.

I think I'm about ready to download Filezilla. I've looked at several FTP/Filezilla tutorials online. I think I'm getting the hang of it.

If I am understanding correctly, the "files" (which appear in the bottom half of the Filezilla screen) are the individual web pages that I will be creating. Is that correct?

And, every time I need to create a new web page, I simply create a new file in Filezilla. Is that correct?

I assume that the "folder" (which appears in the top half of the Filezilla screen) is the title I give to my website. Is this correct?

This means that I will have only one folder, but but thousands of files. Right?

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2015, 07:20:25 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 23, 2015, 12:23:24 am
Hi folks,

My niece finally brought her old iPhone 4 and cable here. As instructed, she charged it and deleted several hundred photos to make room. She had about 1,500 photos on it. She deleted about 700 of them. There are still about 800 of her photos on it.

I decided to start with 3 Magna Graecia (Apulia) coins. I spent about 1 hour taking photos and experimenting. I took several photos of each coin. I got scared because the photos looked very dark on the iPhone. But they transferred much better. I kept the best photos and deleted the rest.

We had problems like you wouldn't believe. My computer is very, very "twitchy". It is also 8 years old.

The iPhone cable was acting up. If you just touch it or move it so much as 1 mm, the iPhone will shut off and reboot. It did this about 15-20 times today.

My computer kept freezing, about 8 different times. We had to shut it down and re-start it all over again, 8 different times.

It turns out that, on my computer, you can't have the iPhone and flash drive connected to it simultaneously. The computer will just freeze. We had to keep dis-connecting the flash drive so that the iPhone could download the photos. For some reason, on this computer, it won't let you download photos from the iPhone while the flash drive is connected.

Meepzorp

Meep,

Based on this initial report, I highly recommend you buy a new laptop and digital camera.  You could get both for about $750 all in, but I would go ahead and spend $1000 on a nice computer, maybe even a desktop, and about $200 on a camera.  You don't want to be working with such "touchy" equipment when you are beginning such an enormous project.  In the end, having the right equipment will save you enormous amounts of time and aggravation.

Nick

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2015, 08:45:03 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 27, 2015, 05:52:38 am

If I am understanding correctly, the "files" (which appear in the bottom half of the Filezilla screen) are the individual web pages that I will be creating. Is that correct?

And, every time I need to create a new web page, I simply create a new file in Filezilla. Is that correct?

I assume that the "folder" (which appears in the top half of the Filezilla screen) is the title I give to my website. Is this correct?

This means that I will have only one folder, but but thousands of files. Right?

Meepzorp

Meepzorp,

Not quite. Filezilla is simply a 'Windows Explorer' for the web which enables you to upload previously created HTM and JPG (picture) files onto the web-server. It is NOT a means of creating web-pages. Initially you would set up Filezilla with your web-site password. When you are ready to upload look for the files that you created (on hard disk or flash drive) in the left hand pane. Drag the files from the right hand pane to the left hand pane. The right hand pane now shows the files that are now on the Forum server, which is now your website.

Regarding computer problems: If you are truly short of hard disk space then that may the cause of your computer instability. Check out how much space you have with Windows Explorer. Remove any old unwanted files (but not ones that are used by Windows or applications). If they are still needed, move them to the flash drive.

Peter
Peter, London

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2015, 08:54:48 am »
Regarding computer problems: If you are truly short of hard disk space then that may the cause of your computer instability. Check out how much space you have with Windows Explorer. Remove any old unwanted files (but not ones that are used by Windows or applications). If they are still needed, move them to the flash drive.

Anything less than 15% empty space is bad and can cause problems.  Less than 10% empty space likely will cause problems.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2015, 11:29:10 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 23, 2015, 12:23:24 am
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

Meep,

Based on this initial report, I highly recommend you buy a new laptop and digital camera.  You could get both for about $750 all in, but I would go ahead and spend $1000 on a nice computer, maybe even a desktop, and about $200 on a camera.  You don't want to be working with such "touchy" equipment when you are beginning such an enormous project.  In the end, having the right equipment will save you enormous amounts of time and aggravation.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Economically speaking, it is not possible for me to do that at this time.

We just had to figure out how to get it to work. I must go under my niece because she is still the "primary user" or "admin" for this computer. Also, I must remember to keep removing the flash drive before I attempt to download photos from the iPhone.

The problem isn't the iPhone. It's the cable (I think). If needed, I can always buy a new cable down the road. They are cheap. I'll see once I get everything rolling.

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2015, 11:40:47 pm »

Anything less than 15% empty space is bad and can cause problems.  Less than 10% empty space likely will cause problems.

Hi Pete and Joe,

Thanks for the advice.

When my niece first gave me this computer a few years ago, the hard drive was full. I couldn't do much of anything with the computer. I kept getting a message stating that the hard drive was full and that I needed to clean it out (delete some things). I did that. I deleted everything that wasn't essential.

I just checked my computer. It has 2 hard drives.

This is the hard drive information the computer is providing to me right now:

1) OS (C:)   23.4 GB free of 136 GB
2) RECOVERY (D:)   3.59 GB free of 9.76 GB

Of course, this is the information I'm getting with me as the user. I don't know if the hard drive information will be different when I go under my niece (because she is still the "primary user" for this computer), which is precisely what I will be doing when I'm creating my web pages and uploading the pages to Joe's server.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity