Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266466 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2015, 11:11:10 am »
Hi folks,

This is what Alex explained in his second PM:

You don't have to put all your tag photos in a folder but it would be much easier for you to paste them across to your coins when you upload them if you did. Also Joe would prefer for linked photos to be hosted on FORVM. You won't be able to transfer your tag photos directly from your iPhone into the description box - the photos will have to be hosted somewhere on the internet (FORVM, flickr, website, whatever) which is why I suggested a FORVM folder. They will all be together and you will know where they are.
It is not complicated it is just my poor way of communication I think.
Yes, I mean two browser windows - so that you can flick easily between the two when you are adding your tag descriptions to your coins. You would be using one window to download your coin pictures into your FORVM gallery and the other window to copy the photos of your tags from into the description box.

Two points to note though, if you in the future delete the photos of your tags from the folder you have downloaded them to they will also be deleted from the description box of your downloaded coin. Another good reason for downloading them to a FORVM folder.

And secondly you will have a folder in your gallery which contains all your tag photos together - which in fact might be no bad thing as you will easily be able to access them on line and update them too without too much difficulty.

I know it sounds complicated - I have just reread what I have written and it sounds complicated to my old brain too but really it isn't. Perhaps your niece could explain it better than I.

If I can help any more just ask away. I will try to be as clear as I can.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2015, 11:32:21 am »
Hi folks,

Coming into this, my intention was to create my own website. Several Forum members tried to convince me that I should use Forum's gallery instead. They almost had me convinced. I was almost "there".

But Alex's explanation only reinforces what I've been suspecting all along, that Forum's gallery is just too inflexible for my needs. It's not flexible enough for my situation.

According to Alex's explanation, Forum's software has some sort of "block" on people downloading secondary photos (the ones that appear below the primary photos in gallery entries) directly from an iPhone. There is no way to download my tag photos directly from my iPhone to Forum's gallery. In order to pull this off, I must first create a separate Forum gallery folder containing only tag photos. Do you see how ridiculous (and wasteful) this is?

I am going to be forced to load and/or paste my tag photos twice. I am also going to have a separate Forum gallery folder containing literally thousands upon thousands of tag photos (with no accompanying coin photos) only to repeat those same photos when I create my coin entries.

This is absolutely ridiculous. It is repetitive and wasteful. And it will be time-consuming.

So, now I am back to where I started. I have come full circle. Unless anyone has any other useful suggestions, I am going to start creating my own website, hosted by Forum, of course.

Taking the advice of several members, I will not be using Wordpress or anything similar. And I'll learn basic html code. I'll also probably be copying someone else's code as a basic template.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2015, 11:34:11 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 13, 2015, 07:19:10 pm
Alphanumeric may be the default, but you can arrange your images in FORVM's galleries in several other methods.

Hi cmc,

How do you do that?

Meepzorp

Sorry...was away for a while.

Besides the predefined sort options for the pictures in a GALLERY, if you go into the GALLERY you want to work with and select EDIT....towards the top will be a button to SORT MY PICTURES.  You can then move pictures UP or DOWN in the list to create a custom sort pattern.

But if you're starting from scratch, developing a file naming convention that will automatically sort them how you want them might be best.

Hi cmc,

Thanks for the advice. You posted as I was typing.

But I think I'll be creating my own website.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2015, 11:47:57 am »
Hi folks,

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Now, once I "get down in the trenches" (actually creating my own website), I'll probably need more advice as I go along. I've never done this before.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2015, 11:50:46 am »
This thread has been very popular.  I have to admit I only skimmed most of it.  A few comments...

Forum offers FTP websites.  You write the site on your computer using whatever software you like and upload it using FTP.  That is all we offer for hosting your own site.

FrontPage 2003 was great.  Unfortunately, the code that it produces is now out of date. The people in charge of the WWW change the code regularly. For example, < center > had been changed to < middle > (for some purposes), and < i > (for italic) is now < em > (for emphasis).  Yes, it seems stupid.  I suspect it is to keep professional webmasters fully employed (among other things).  Most things still will work but some don't and over time there will be more and more problems with outdated code.  

One way to to have your coins and their tags display nicely in the gallery would be to merge the images.  The gallery already expects you to merge the images of the obverse and reverse, merging the tag too would not be that much of an additional step.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2015, 12:20:51 pm »

One way to to have your coins and their tags display nicely in the gallery would be to merge the images.  The gallery already expects you to merge the images of the obverse and reverse, merging the tag too would not be that much of an additional step.

Except as Andrew has already pointed out he doesn't want to enter any text in the description, only the photos of handwritten tags which makes searching for key words impossible.  That would be the case if it was in the gallery or on a web site...

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2015, 01:19:15 pm »
Meepzorp:
Are your new tags hand printed/written or typed?
There is OCR software available to convert either into digital, editable files.
Google it.
The drawback is, of course, a lot of work in converting your 2000+ tags . However, as your collection grows, this may be an option that allows more flexibility in adding new acquisitions to your web pages.
PeteB

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2015, 05:19:24 pm »

Hi Joe,

As Jay pointed out above (he posted before I had a chance to reply), Andrew has already suggested this to me in the past.

There are 2 problems I have with this:

1) Not all of my coin tags are 2 sheets. Some are 3 sheets, and at least one is 4 sheets. Plus, I have the dealer tags sandwiched in between to maintain some sort of pedigree. In addition to that, some dealers provided me with very old (antique?) tags. Those are also sandwiched in between my handwritten tags. So, in some cases, in addition to the 2 coin photos (which I may merge into 1 photo), I could also have as many as 4-6 more photos. That's not counting the 2 coin photos. The grand total could be as high as 6-8 photos per coin.

What happens if I have an odd number of photos (like 3 or 5)? How do I merge them all into a uniform square or rectangle? The only solution would be to include a "blank" photo (background only).

2) The more photos I add and merge into that 1 Forum gallery photo, the smaller my coins are going to be in the photo. If I have 6 photos, the coins are going to 1/3 the size of the coins in other members' photos. If I have 8 photos, the coins are going to be 1/4 the size of the coins in other members' photos. Do you see the problem?

And that is bad enough in the single gallery photo. In the preceding page, where there are photos of dozens of coins to click on, my coins will be so tiny that viewers may not be able to see them. The coin size will be divided by a factor of 3 or 4.

This "solution" will not work. The only way that I can post my photos in Forum's gallery (without significantly reducing the coin size in the photo) is if Forum's software is altered to allow me to download my tag photos directly from my iPhone. But I think that is too much to ask. I think I'm better off just doing my own website.

Plus, in addition to this problem, I never fully resolved the problem of the number and/or arrangement of all my folders. This becomes an issue when someone has 2,000 ancient coins.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2015, 05:27:59 pm »

Except as Andrew has already pointed out he doesn't want to enter any text in the description, only the photos of handwritten tags which makes searching for key words impossible.  That would be the case if it was in the gallery or on a web site...

Hi Jay,

My original intention was to enter zero text in the description. But Cara pointed out to me that doing so will make it impossible for someone to to search using keywords. In my response to Cara (above), I stated that I would address this issue, probably by adding minimal text (enough for someone to do a search). I'll probably write the country, city, emperor, reference number, etc. In fact, for my "clickable links", instead of loading my photos twice, I may just add the reference number in the template. A viewer can then simply click on the reference number to be directed to the proper page containing the photos. I'll see.

I already promised Cara that I would address this issue.

Meepzorp

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2015, 05:34:06 pm »
The only problem with that is what if someone doesn't know the reference number and is using your site for attribution?  You see the more typed information you supply the more search functionality you have and the more useful the site becomes.  I guess you need to figure out what the purpose of the web site is.  Is it to simply display all of your coins or is it to be used as a learning tool so that people can search and attribute their own coins? 

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2015, 05:35:07 pm »
Meepzorp:
Are your new tags hand printed/written or typed?
There is OCR software available to convert either into digital, editable files.
Google it.
The drawback is, of course, a lot of work in converting your 2000+ tags . However, as your collection grows, this may be an option that allows more flexibility in adding new acquisitions to your web pages.
PeteB

Hi Akro,

My tags are hand-written. They are neatly printed, not script. If you want an idea of what my tags look like, you can look at my photos in the "Compulteria" thread in the Greek section of Forum.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I really don't want to add another significant step to this whole process. I'm already juggling numerous things to try to pull this off. I still need to learn about photography, using the iPhone, cropping, stitching, editing, downloading to the computer, and then simultaneously posting the photos on my flash drive and the internet. I don't want to add more complexity to the whole process.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2015, 05:42:29 pm »
FrontPage 2003 was great.  Unfortunately, the code that it produces is now out of date. The people in charge of the WWW change the code regularly. For example, < center > had been changed to < middle > (for some purposes), and < i > (for italic) is now < em > (for emphasis).  Yes, it seems stupid.  I suspect it is to keep professional webmasters fully employed (among other things).  Most things still will work but some don't and over time there will be more and more problems with outdated code.

Hi Joe,

I agree. That's why I decided to listen to other members' advice. And I've decided to write the code myself instead of using Wordpress or something similar.

30 years ago, I knew several different computer programming languages, including: Basic, Pascal, C, Fortran, Lisp, etc.

I was most familiar with Basic and Pascal. When I was younger, I could program a computer in either one of those 2 computer programming languages blindfolded and with one hand tied behind my back. :)

Of course, that was 30 years ago. But, as Andrew pointed out, html should be a piece of cake compared to Basic.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2015, 05:55:00 pm »
The only problem with that is what if someone doesn't know the reference number and is using your site for attribution?

Hi Jay,

I thought of that. But something has to serve as the "clickable link" in my website.

What do you suggest?

By the way, a photo isn't so great for searching purposes either, especially for a newbie, and especially if the photo is small (as it usually is in those website templates).

By using the reference numbers as "clickable links"in my website template, someone can simply click through the coin photos in the same order they are arranged in the selected major reference book, until they find what they are looking for. For example, I was planning on using RIC for my Roman Imperial coins, SNG ANS for my Magna Graecia coins, Sambon for my Campania AE MFB coins, MIR (Varesi) and/or CNI for my Italian Medieval coins, etc.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2015, 05:59:06 pm »
I guess you need to figure out what the purpose of the web site is.  Is it to simply display all of your coins or is it to be used as a learning tool so that people can search and attribute their own coins? 

Hi Jay,

No, the purpose of my website is not to simply display all of my coins. I've never been a "show off". Believe me, I am the antithesis of that.

My website is intended to be an educational and research tool, in addition to documenting my collection online.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2015, 06:05:47 pm »
You see the more typed information you supply the more search functionality you have and the more useful the site becomes.

Hi Jay,

I know.

Originally, I was planning on having 5-20 coins per page, with no template - just clickable links on the preceding page.

After thinking about it, I've decided to use a template with clickable links, and only one coin per page.

At the top of the template page and coin page, there will be a brief description of the coin(s): country, city, emperor, reference number, date posted, etc. Would that be enough for searches?

I can always add text at a later date.

Meepzorp

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2015, 06:36:04 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 15, 2015, 06:05:47 pm

At the top of the template page and coin page, there will be a brief description of the coin(s): country, city, emperor, reference number, date posted, etc. Would that be enough for searches?

Meepzorp

I rarely search for a coin by a reference number because if I know the reference number there is really no need to search.  Also reference numbers change with new editions and some have multiple references (RIC, RSC, Sear...).  Which do you search for?   If I don't know the attribution I will simply enter what I know about the coin such as Emperor, deity, what they are holding like spear, shield, lituus, eagle, victory and any other items I'm sure of.  The more searchable words the better.  Think about what you enter when you are searching for a coin.  I agree you have to put them into some sort of category and reference number chronology but I don't think the ref# and city, emperor is enough for a useful search.  

It's a huge job either way so better to make it as useful as possible from the get go.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2015, 09:09:17 am »
Meepzorp,

You need to put keywords, that you want to be searchable, at the top of the web page in the <TITLE> section. That way web spiders pick it up. The more a particular page is visited, the more likely that page becomes searchable. If you buy yourself a book about HTML you will be able to read how to optimise searchbility.

You are correct if I understand what you are proposing, that a hierarchy is needed starting at the home page rather than just a string of interlinked pages. Take a look at my website, below. Ignore all the fancy pictures and menus, just follow the links and see if that makes sense to you, in terms of construction.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2015, 08:11:37 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 15, 2015, 06:05:47 pm

Meepzorp

I rarely search for a coin by a reference number because if I know the reference number there is really no need to search.  Also reference numbers change with new editions and some have multiple references (RIC, RSC, Sear...).  Which do you search for?   If I don't know the attribution I will simply enter what I know about the coin such as Emperor, deity, what they are holding like spear, shield, lituus, eagle, victory and any other items I'm sure of.  The more searchable words the better.  Think about what you enter when you are searching for a coin.  I agree you have to put them into some sort of category and reference number chronology but I don't think the ref# and city, emperor is enough for a useful search.  

It's a huge job either way so better to make it as useful as possible from the get go.

Hi Jay,

I see your point. And that is true of sites like acsearch.

But sites like Wildwinds aren't searchable in that way. At least, I don't think they are.

In this context, my website may be similar to Wildwinds.

However, in addition to the information I mentioned above, I will try to add basic descriptions. For example, I may write something like:

"Moesia, Nikopolis, Caracalla/temple, Moushmov 123"

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2015, 08:27:23 pm »
Meepzorp,
You are correct if I understand what you are proposing, that a hierarchy is needed starting at the home page rather than just a string of interlinked pages. Take a look at my website, below. Ignore all the fancy pictures and menus, just follow the links and see if that makes sense to you, in terms of construction.

Hi Pete,

Yes, you are correctly understanding me. I definitely need some sort of hierarchy, sort of like a "tree" in the Pascal computer programming language (to draw an analogy).

I like the layout of your website and the way that the links flow. It has the hierarchy that I need.

Can I use your website as a guide? Is it okay if I copy any portion of the code?

I never intended to have all of those "fancy pictures". I just need to have clickable links (like the type that is usually highlighted in blue). In fact, I'm not even intending to have photos at all in the template/grid page, just clickable links in the rectangles.

Meepzorp

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2015, 09:18:38 am »
Hi Meepzorp,

That sounds good. By all means copy any of my web-pages. You will find that you can erase 95% of the code to achieve what you want.

Why not try it straight away so as you can get an idea of what is involved. This is how:
Go to the page you want.
Right click and select 'Save Page As' and save.
Open Windows Explorer and find the page you just saved. It has an .htm extension. The picture (.jpg) files will be there separately.
Right click on the htm file and select 'Open With' (or similar) and select NotePad (Yes you do have a word processor!).
You can now view the code and content. Make a few changes. Get rid of unwanted code (the large menu sequence for example) and change the text.
Save and then go back to Windows Explorer and double click on the file you have just saved. The modified web page should appear in your browser.
See what your editing has done and then go back and experiment.

Hope that helps,

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2015, 11:06:48 pm »
Hi folks,

On Friday, I clicked on the link that Andrew provided, which took me to the html tutorial pages. I read every chapter. On the first read-through, I absorbed and understood about 80% of it. It appears to be a fairly easy code to master.

This weekend was a "washout" for me in terms of having any free time. On Saturday, I helped my niece with a major research project. We spent all day working on it, and we are still not done yet.

Today, I had a party to attend. Believe me, I don't like parties, and I never did. I am the antithesis of that (someone who likes parties). I rarely attend parties, even family functions. But it was my sister's 25th wedding anniversary, so I had to be there.

This week, I have a busy week. One day (I think Tuesday), I have to finish helping my niece with her research project. On Thursday (tentative), my niece and her boyfriend are supposed to be coming here to teach me numerous things (photographing coins with an iPhone, cropping, stitching, editing photos, downloading photos from my iPhone to both my flash drive and the internet, etc.).

Somewhere in there (Monday?), I will try to review the html tutorial pages to see if I can absorb any more of it.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2015, 11:09:20 pm »
Hi Meepzorp,

By all means copy any of my web-pages.

Peter

Hi Pete,

Thank you for the offer. I really appreciate it. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2015, 11:13:48 pm »
Hi Meepzorp,

You will find that you can erase 95% of the code to achieve what you want.

Peter

Hi Pete,

After reading the html tutorial pages that Andrew referred me to, and after re-reading your website's code, I suspected that (that I can erase about 95% of the code). Thank you for confirming what I suspected. I was going to ask you that, but you answered me before I even asked. You appear to be one step ahead of me and/or reading my mind. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2015, 11:18:21 pm »
Hi Meepzorp,

Why not try it straight away so as you can get an idea of what is involved. This is how:
Go to the page you want.
Right click and select 'Save Page As' and save.
Open Windows Explorer and find the page you just saved. It has an .htm extension. The picture (.jpg) files will be there separately.
Right click on the htm file and select 'Open With' (or similar) and select NotePad (Yes you do have a word processor!).
You can now view the code and content. Make a few changes. Get rid of unwanted code (the large menu sequence for example) and change the text.
Save and then go back to Windows Explorer and double click on the file you have just saved. The modified web page should appear in your browser.
See what your editing has done and then go back and experiment.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Hi Pete,

Thank you for explaining how to do this. I didn't know how. I was going to ask you how to do that. But, again, you answered my question before I even asked it. Thanks for anticipating my questions and answering them without me even asking. I really appreciate it.

I can't do it just yet. Joe has asked his webmaster to set up my web page. But, to my knowledge, he hasn't done it yet. It's coming soon.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2015, 11:31:06 pm »
Hi Pete,

After reading the html tutorial, I understand that anything that appears after the "<meta" symbol is not displayed. It is for internal purposes only.

After looking at your website's code, it seems that everything that appears after the "<meta" symbol isn't even related to your site. It doesn't appear to have any connection (to your website) or useful function. The code that it contains appears to be totally unrelated to your website. I found that strange. Can I just delete all of that and still have a functioning website?

As I mentioned above, when I was younger, I was very familiar with Basic and Pascal. After reading your website's code 3 times, I understand about 2/3 of it, and where everything fits in. But I am very confused by everything that appears after the "<meta" symbol.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity